xisto Community
Nik1405241546

Broadband Modem Sharing Accessing Internet from 2 computers

I like to share our broadband modem and access Internet from the second computer. The 2 computers are not connected to each other. I am considering setting up a network of these 2 computers using a wireless access point and 2 wireless network cards. I assume the access point and the braodband modem will be attached to one of the computers and the other computer will be able to access Internet through the access point. Is there any other way of sharing the modem eg. using adapters/ extensions, like sharing the telephone line?

Why don't you just buy a router and share the internet connection between the two computers? The router will be able to handle multiple computers (depending on how many ports you got with the router). Otherwise, with your current setup with just the modem, you will only have room to connect to one computer and make it act as a gateway in order for the second computer to connect. With the router, each computer is independent, where as the gateway aspect will require the first computer to be on in order to go online.

If you want one computer connected at any time the internet is being used on either computer then all you need are two lan cards and a crossover cable.

How to give password in internet connection in Every machine?Broadband Modem Sharing

Dear Sir,

I am useing BSNL broad band connection in my small office network

In my office 8 to 10 PC are connecting with LAN ( Workgroup) & I have shared the internet connection through 18port D-Link switch & BSNL modem. All pcs are  assigned by DHCP

& My One PC working as server in which two LAN card inserted through one LAN card cable goes to D-Link switch that LAC card configured  Statics IP-192.168.0.1 & Subnet -255.255.255.0 & another LAN card configured Dynamic (DHCP) that connected to BSNL Modem.

My all network connection are working fine now just I want to know

how to give the password in every PCs in internet connection? ( Only in net connection ) Pls suggest...

-reply by Danish Qaiser

2nd PC ConnectionBroadband Modem Sharing

Please Help!!

I currently have at home a PC connected to Tiscali Wireless Broadband (Although the pc is not wireless enabled its therefore conntected via an ethernet cable) and have tried to connect another PC which again is not wireless enabled using an ethernet cable into one of the four ports in the rear of the router.

I now have no connection on either computer, any advices would be appreciated.

Thanks

-question by Gary

problem with router to a broadband.Broadband Modem Sharing

hello,,

I am connected to the internet using a broadband..My problem is, I want to setup two computers using a router..My computer is a laptop and the other one is a desktop.I tried to setup this two computers,I connected the broadband the WAN of the router,then I connected the two computers to the router using a crossover cable.But it didnt work...Please help me...I don't know what to do...

thanks;;; 

-reply by jrey_haze

2 modems, 1 broadband account. is there a way to utilize 2nd modem?Broadband Modem Sharing

Ok, I have one broadband account through rr. I own a 2nd modem (same as the 1st). We have a barn out back that already has cable running to it. Is there a way to hook up the second modem and get it to work out there without having to pay for a second account? It's too far for wireless, to run a hard line would be a real pain. I understand that each modem has a distinct serial or address is there a way to copy the first to the 2nd? Thanks in advance for your help. 

-reply by dishdesigns

You would need a router to efficiently share the Internet connection between the two devices. Sharing the Internet by connecting one computer to the Internet and then connecting the two computers is not very efficient and requires the first computer to be turned on in order to use the Internet.

I like to share our broadband modem and access Internet from the second computer. The 2 computers are not connected to each other. I am considering setting up a network of these 2 computers using a wireless access point and 2 wireless network cards. I assume the access point and the braodband modem will be attached to one of the computers and the other computer will be able to access Internet through the access point. Is there any other way of sharing the modem eg. using adapters/ extensions, like sharing the telephone line?

If you are still interested by this question...The answer is rather simple. You even don't need the access point.
The simplest way is to have one computer connected to the internet, and a couple of nic's and an ethernet cable between both. The computer connected to the internet runs a proxy server (privoxy is free and does correctly the job) and the second computer uses the first one as a proxy in the browser settings.
If you don't have ethernet nic's in the computers, or if they are not inside the same room, the wifi solution can be preferred. In that case you don't need an access point, you need a single wifi adapter (a USB adapter is currently cheaper than a wifi PCI board), both adapters have to be set as "ad-hoc" (which means internal network without access point). Here also, the computer connected to the broadband computer runs the proxy server program, and is configured as being the proxy in the second computer's browser (IE6 or IE7 or firefox) settings.
I hope this was clear, else tell me and I can give more details. :o

how to sharing with broad band internet modem and 8 port switchBroadband Modem Sharing

I have 3 systems and broad band connection 1modem, and 8 port switch(hub) how can I shared other 2 system from host system  please tell me about how can I get sharing with above parts i am waiting for your repl please send reply as fast as you can.

thank you sir.

-question by syed sameer

Internet Sharing with HP Mini 1150NRBroadband Modem Sharing

I just bought a HP Mini 1150NR with Verizon, the internet its included as it has an internal modem.  Now I have my old laptop I wanna use the internet I'm already paying with my HP Mini.  How can I do that without having any cables???  My old laptop is a Dell and has wireless.  Can anybody help? :):):)

Thanks! 

-reply by Shawty

How to give password in internet connection in Every machine?Broadband Modem Sharing

Broadband Modem Sharing

Dear Sir,

I am using BSNL broad band connection in my small office network

In my office 8 to 10 PC are connecting with LAN ( Workgroup) & I haveShared the internet connection through 8port D-Link switch & BSNLModem. All pcs are  assigned by DHCP

& My One PC working as server in which two LAN card insertedThrough one LAN card cable goes to D-Link switch that LAC card configured Statics IP-192.168.0.1 & Subnet -255.255.255.0& another LAN card configured Dynamic (DHCP) that connectedTo BSNL Modem.

My all network connections  areWorking fine now just I want to know

how to give the password in every PCs in internet connection? ( Only in netConnection ) Pls suggest...

Thanks inAdvance.

Regards,

S.Saravanan

knskce.,nagercoil

-reply by saravanan

request for Boot from NetworkBroadband Modem Sharing

Sir,

My laptop has not open windows. There is a message display " NTLDR" file missing. I want to format it but my DVD R/W was not working. So what I can do it if you help me for this work I will be greatful to you.

-reply by pramod

which is the best ulimited BB connection...????Broadband Modem Sharing

Hi guys...

I am looking for a good unlimited BB connection...What should I opt for...?????

I have heard about a BSNL BB conection whose monthly rental is 731/- Rs. And its download speed is 2mbps...But I am not sure wether it is an unlimited access or unlimited download...

If anyone has heard of this connection a little heads-up for me from you guys would be great man...

Any advices would be appreciated...

Thanks...

P.S.- I am looking for a good download speed...

-reply by rishi