xisto Community
Nintendo

Never Give Out Your Password! For real

Actually a good reminder is to remember if and where you have chat logs (for example instant messaging applications like MSN Messenger and Yahoo Messenger), especially you have more than just yourself accessing the machine.Some people get curious or even accidentally (I have seen it happen), access such logs.

Your password is one of the things you would never give out. However in most cases people use the same password. People have been running servays on password for years (people usually use there or a family members name). If someone ever asks you to join the servay say no. These servays are ran through programs people join (example forums). You password is encrypted and the survays just look for the most common encryption. There are a few things you just never tell people that you met online. In most cases: Password, Last Name, Address and anything about ssn or credit card number.Thanks,SparkxAlso: I am not sure if you can access logs from the chat system I use (xfire).

^, that's a very good point. Those surveys are often in place to steal your passwords. I have a set of different passwords that I use depending on the site. For instance, some sites I could care less about (like survey sites), and so I end up using one particular password for all sites akin to that one. (And this password is always something stupid and not-so-good security wise like 'goodbye') Other sites I need more security (say my email account) and so I up the security of the password to something like 'd21of32y9rfuKei'. Then, for each of these 'important' sites, I use different complicated passwords.

That way, if surveys do obtain my password, they'll probably only obtain the password to all the stupid sites I don't care about, so at least I'm partially protected.

and now days i also wouldnt trust firefox password remember situation in the new versions it has a bug where all you need to do is go on run type a command and most passwords come up (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) hope this helps i had done to me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

I don't trust it either, hence the reason why I don't use it. I've disabled the password-remembering thing; better to be safe than sorry in this case. Firefox probably fixed the bug by now though, but I'm not interested in waiting to see if crackers have found some new exploit in the browser. :-P

and now days i also wouldnt trust firefox password remember situation in the new versions it has a bug where all you need to do is go on run type a command and most passwords come up :P hope this helps i had done to me <_<
Nick

I'm with ya on this one...but for a different reason. I don't like the way the password storage works...so I use keepass. It's free, open-source, runs on everything imaginable, and encrypts your database with 256 bit symmetric AES crypto. The firefox password storage is pretty safe on a data level with regard to encryption, but getting passwords out of an already authenticated session is just a little too easy for me to regard it as "secure". That and the firefox password storage doesn't always understand that there is a password to be remembered.

There are some people who do give out their passwords, though you've usually formed a "Trusting" relationship with them that they do this.Phishing sites are problematic and can con people into revealing too much information, so always ensure the site is correct and if possible, always use Secure logins, which usually means the site address is prefixed with https:// and a security lock in your web browser is shown. It would also need a valid Security Certificate though some Trusted sites may have their certificate expired which doesn't mean you have to stop trusting them, just means they haven't gotten round to updating it.If you feel you need to give out your password so that someone can help you, it's best to create that person a temporary account if possible, which you can remove after they've performed what was needed but remember you shouldn't give them too much access. If that's unavoidable too, then ensure you have backed up all your vital information or store it in a protected location where they can't access it, in case the trust breaks down and havoc is created.I do a lot of computer work for people who give me their passwords so I can finish the job, but I never store them and usually forget them, unless I often visit them but I rather my services or their word of mouth not give me a bad reputation for mishandling their confidentiality.Cheers,MC

It is common sense. So much common sense that I feel no sympathy for morons that give their hotmail/ebay password in so called 'fake administration mails'.'Sharing an account can compromise its security'

Well, i must say, the irony of this topic is funny as hell.Thanks SF, il remember thatdamn it, i thought you had forgotten, now i have to go through the trouble of changing my password on my wii (its hard) lolappears i now have -35 credits too, i musta been gone a long time

Here's a tip: NEVER GIVE YOUR PASSWORD OUT.
Lols.

Never. EVER. EVER. EVER. Unless you make it JUST for that.

Also some people save chat logs, don't assume 'they just forgot it'.

It's an IT Policy. Passwords should be kept and NEVER EVER divulge it to anyone.