xisto Community
taintcandy

Is Vista Worth It? Is Windows Vista a good buy, or should I wait until I buy a new comput

Is Windows Vista worth buying?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There are a lot of issues regarding installing Vista and the blue screen is always there. Upgrade dont always work and the installation guide is not usefull anyway. The installation recommendation software is a buggy soft that wont tell the truth.All i can see on Vista are pure icandy but i will give my thumbs up on some kernel upgrades.I wont buy or use the Vista for this 2 main reasons.1. what is see in VIsta is existing in Mac OSX, heck, the only difference I can see is that positioning and skins. Mac OSX is open source and I can always find ways to upgrade it without any fee unlike windows.2. Allmost all that Vista can do is available with Ubuntu + Beryl. This combo gives you a 3 domensional desktop with 3 dimensional System. You are amaze with the alt-tab with vista? Try 3D desktop switching with Beryl.One of the lest thing reason I wont buy Vista1. There are lots of choices to pick from meaning that M$ is not really on end user experience but on making huge cash.How would you know which one is the one you need.It is always better to provide only 3 kinds of systema. Home editionb. Professional Editonc. Server EditionOf course all of these must provided the upgrade programs.-----------One downside of Vista is that you need to install this from DVD.. Not all have DVD drives so if you want to install the OS, buy a DVD.. I dont bet the DVD will run on Blue Ray disc since I am getting some "non standard" data content in its burning method. Blue Ray only Accepts standardize burning algorithym which may makes the DVD unreadble on my blue ray drive.Frankly, I wont change my blue ray drive for a DVD. I can burn 10 DVD into one blue ray disc and it is accesable with my linux and Windows OS.

I don't see that much great new things coming out of Vista...I've seen it a couple times and used it.A friend of mine bought a laptop a couple months ago, it was the shittiest cheapest new laptop at the store, had like 512mb (Might even be 256) of Ram and crap like that... And the people at Futureshop refused to put anything but Vista on it <__<. And this guy is too lazy and incompetant to switch the windows version to anything else his computer can really use, so he's stuck with a $900 laptop that is slow as **** because it can barely support Vista at all.Just thought I'd toss my little story out there :ph34r:I see very few real pro's to using Vista right now, and the major can that it requires way too much resources as it's really worth.

i would'nt buy vista beacause it costs money and all it will do is slow down your computer if you build your computer yourself and it's a new computer run linux on it because it is free and it's the fastest if you buy an already made pc and it comes with vista then hey why not use it? microshaft is a pretty bad company their zune did'nt even work with vista until just recently! and everyone knows apple ipods are better! if i were you i would invest in a macintosh computer they can run vista which is pretty cool so on a mac i might dual boot vista but overall i would buy the next osx build because osx is waayyy nicer. so meh linux and mac ftw.

I think you should wait until they fix all the bugs, or wait until programs are compatible with vista. Because I have heard many problems with vista concerning the compatiblity of programs. It also causes instability to your system if you computer can not handle vista, so becareful of that as well. All I heard of vista was direct x 10 being on it that greatly improves game performance and such. But there were also customers that also like to differ. So its been a very conflicting issue with how vista has launched. RIght now I am acutally waiting till everything is sorted out before making any purchase of any decision of upgrading my operating system to vista. I just have too many programs that I need that it would take me too long to back up just in case vista crashes my computer. Like they say if it aint broke dont fix it. hehe.

IMO, Vista is a lot WORSE than what it should have been... it is a major jump from XP which no one (software & hardware companies) were expecting. I know Apple was saying not to expect iTunes for a while. It's all a big mess in my eyes... so far, I plan on only using Windows XP and Windows 2000.[N]F

IMO, Vista is a lot WORSE than what it should have been... it is a major jump from XP which no one (software & hardware companies) were expecting. I know Apple was saying not to expect iTunes for a while. It's all a big mess in my eyes... so far, I plan on only using Windows XP and Windows 2000.
[N]F

Problem is that a lot new of games will be Vista-only in 6 months (DX10)

xboxrulz

A couple of comments on your conclusions.

Pos:

-Network Center is kinda usefull, but it need some tweaks

-Power Management is more advanced (usefull for laptops)

-the search bar in the start menu is super

-the drop-down menus in explorer are much better than having to go a few folders up and the going to the folder you like

And by 'useless' you actually mean, features that are there but you don't use. There is a big difference in not using features than proclaiming these to be useless in software. Windows wasn't catered for your needs, but a wide variety and types of users, of course you won't use certain aspects, don't mistake these for unnecessary aspects of the software. You're not the world.

Besides, what is 'useless' about it? There is much more to an interface than the color, the skin and the win-tab thing. I don't use the latter either as I have enough space on my 2 screens, the UI however is more consistent and 'flowing' than before. Not just the skin changed, but how the windows interact with each other and the data on the disks. You said yourself: 'the drop-down menus in explorer are much better'. This is in contradiction with the quote, unless you meant that Aero only applies to the skin. Myself, I find it more pleasant to work with.

Exactly, you disable it in a few mouse clicks. People who complain about these feature obviously don't know how to configure even a simple thing, and are better off with a mac anyways.

Again, how does that make it 'useless'? You're using 3rd-party software? Fine, but the built-in programs obviously work.

Since when are services, required for Windows features, a bad thing. Especially very useful ones like indexing and diagnostic services - unless you like waiting a dozen minutes for simple search results or fancy plain guessing what is wrong with your computer. You said yourself: "-the search bar in the start menu is super".

Go to start menu, type in services.msc

A list of all services will be displayed, how they're being run, and what they do. You'll see not that many are booted at start, you can disable some you don't use. 'Shitload' is exaggerated and also quite stupid, no devices means no features.

Very slow? What made you come to that conclusion (I'm curious), think you're a bit paranoid about DRM even though none of your data is modified. No problems here and first time I hear it is that SLOW.

Never heard of those programs, but the more popular certainly did. Obviously not every program is compatible with a certain system, and it's going great. Tried running those in compatibility mode?

Same, also only need a firewall for outbound. Wonder when zonelabs gets running - nero and other AV like Nod32 have been long compatible.

I see aero as only the black looks with all the other fancy crap around it like the Win+tab thingy. The drop down in explorer are absolute not a part of the Aero theme because they still work if Aero is disabled.

About the SP2-like questions. They are useless because they don't protect you. After a while, nobody reads the messages anymore and they simply click 'yes'. They are annoying and slow things down.

About the services, especialy the diagnostic service, they are useless. Okay, indexing can be nice, but I know where to find my stuff, I almost don't perform a search and the indexing process slows down your pc, whether you want it or not. The diagnostic service is even more usells. I once disabled it, hoping to get a reason why I couldn't connect to a wireless network and it only said what windows had already said before 'you can't establish a connection with this network, try again or connect to another network' ... quite a waste of memory only the repeat itself :ph34r:

WMP11 is slow here, if I open a song, it takes up to 10 seconds before it starts playing, while playing, the music somethings slows down or hangs, even tough my 2 cores aren't loaded by another program.

The programs, too bad you haven't heard about them, they are great and free. Netstumbler is a great program for findind wireless networks in the neighbourhood, CdBurnerXP is for burning CDs and DVDs. And no, they don't work in compatibilty mode because both have to access the hardware directly. But yes, I agree, not everything works when you switch from version x to y.

@vhortex: I agree with you, I wished there weren't so many version, Home for those who don't know much about windows, Pro for those who know a lot more, and Server with all the advanced features like TPM. I have Home Premium installed, but I miss the Group Edit like in XP Pro :) . I'd have to switch to Business or Ultimate for that, but Ultimate is to expensive and Business doesn't have moviemaker or games installed ...

I have tested Windows Vista Ultimate Edition on my system.I completely love the OS, minus all the bugs.It is very nice looking, has nice animations, and looks far nicer than XP or earlier versions of Windows.However, the bugs that it still has are HORRIBLE.For me, for example, everything was working fine with Windows Media Center one second, and then the next it suddenly had no Internet connection.Then I was getting BLUE SCREEN errors on boot up.And also, it has a HUGE BUG with USB on restart!My mouse plugs in via USB, and after a reboot the mouse dies, and the only way to regain functionality was to press CTRL+ALT+DELETE and then click somewhere on the screen that wasn't on the options and then it worked again...but only for a few minutes.So, I recommend purchasing it if:1) You have 2GB of RAM or MORE (preferrably)2) You have a hard drive with 15GB to spare merely to the OS.3) You want something fresh and appealing to the eye.But I would NOT recommend that you run out and purchase it today. Wait, wait, wait, until they get most of those bugs out! It'll be worth the wait.Plus, there still aren't many applications that you currently use that are compatible on Vista yet (for the most part). B)

Definately not! My dad just bought an HP laptop that came with Vista. It is extremely slow to boot up and it is very confusing when trying to browse folders in My Documents. Sure the graphics are cool and the glass effect on the windows is amazing, but the overal functionality of it needs some serious upgrades. My dad is going to downgrade to XP soon because it is extremely hard to deal with and it takes him atleast five minutes to boot up. He's also come across a boot up screen that looked like hiroglyphics and he had to reboot the laptop. I would most definately not waste my money on Vista at this point. Maybe if they come out with a fix for it I would buy it, but right now definately not...

Hi,

I use Macs, UNIX, and Windows machines on a daily basis as part of my job and my personal life. Each machine has it's strengths and weaknesses, but the general consensus here on this forum is "do not get vista because it is buggy".

Contrary to popular belief, Microsoft Windows Vista is a great operating system. As are Macs and UNIX systems; each caters to its specific audience. I can safely assure you that Macs and UNIX systems has its own share of bugs; I do hope you do not get hoodwinked into thinking that they are the "perfect" operating systems because they are not. Yes, other Operating Systems have bugs too. Yes, they experience crashes and slowdowns as well. Yes, they still have gaping holes even up to now.

For example, see http://www.tgdaily.com/technology/32596-vista-more-secure-than-xp-mac-os-linux-after-first-180-days-report. While the creator (I believe) is working for the company, there is truth in the data presented. This is backed-up by actual reports by actual people, as well as from my personal experience in working with this machines.

What, then, makes Windows seem like a less-than-good Operating System? A very big contributing factor would be its immense popularity and market share. Putting it bluntly, Windows is everywhere. For most parts of the world, it is quite difficult (if not impossible) to look for a place where no system is installed with Windows.

With this popularity comes a great price. Since it is everywhere, it is the most easy and viable target for malicious attacks---simply because it is so accessible. Had it been the Macintosh who won the Operating System wars way back then, I would not be surprised if it was under the same attacks (both in terms of software explotation and social mindset) as Windows is in now.