xisto Community
ginginca

Illegal Stuff On Youtube

Youtubeand google are getting suede by Viacom

It doesn't surprise me at all. Copyright laws are still laws and subject to penalties when they are broken.

i think you argument is stupid how is putting a commercial on youtube going to harm the company? or a nusic video? we can watch music videos on tv. they play music on the radio.

Back to my previous post. Copyright law is law.

Why is it that people feel that they have the right to do what they want with music and videos?

I personally don't think HARM in terms of reputation is the problem. But financial harm ... absolutely. It's hard enough for creators of music and video to make it unless you're HUGE.

If you were a musician, selling music, and making your living from it, would you want people ripping you off and copying it for your friends and posting it all over the net?

Think about it.

For every song that is played on the radio the band makes royalties. When it is downloaded legally (such as itunes) the band makes a royalty.

When it is purchased in a store, the band makes a royalty.

I have no idea what you do for a living. But if you owned a McDonalds, would you want people coming in and just helping themselves to the food? Really it amounts to the same thing. But with digital products it is so easy to copy.

If you buy a book would you photocopy it for all your friends? No. Because it takes a lot of time, and you have to pay for each page you copy.

When you post something illegal on YouTube it costs you ZERO.

I'd like to see the copyright owners starting to go after the posters too. Attitudes have to change!

It doesn't surprise me at all. Copyright laws are still laws and subject to penalties when they are broken.

I'd rather see an official source confirming that.
Either way, there's not stopping it. Before youtube, copyrighted material was spreaded through Peer2Peer, and whatnot. Youtube just made it a lot easier. Apparently, they also seem to rely on the community effect, if something is offensive, or not appropriate, it'll be flagged and moderated.
But for me, non-American, watching shows such as Prison Break, Lost, Heroes, or any kind of anime, I'd either have to order online until some set of DVDs comes out. Or P2P. Or torrents. I'm not bothered by the fact that it's on youtube. Moreover, youtube isn't much of a source for that kind of material anyway, these days. You can find more of that on dailymotion, veoh, stage6, etc... And honestly, I don't see a destructive thing about, not at all. In fact, before I decide to spend the little money a college student like me has, on a DVD, I'd rather go see it on whichever site to see if I like it.

Shows like Heroes even caught up with the trend, and instead of fighting it, it went along with it and made its shows, after airing, available in a similar format. Initiatives like this make me want to support the creators of the show even more to continue with their efforts into supporting their fan base, rather than "selling out" and going "Microsoft" on sites like youtube and unleashing an army of lawyers and threats.

Are you asking for me to prove that copyright laws are actual laws? Geez!

I have books on the subject and took two years of it a school.

What kind of proof would you like?

Edited by ginginca (see edit history)

hahahahahahaha.. yes there are alot of stuffs in youtube now. the effects is already listed above and almost all of the reasons given are true and correct.

1. Posting on youtube wont harm the owner

a. true: for new bands or if the material is purely used as a promotional video. you dont ask payments for promotional videos do you? no cash no royalty.

b. false: if the video is so ugly because the recording method is terrible, more likely the non mature viewer will think that the real full video sucks. another reason is royalty, the tv stations who broadcast them pays money to the owner of the material.

2. the owner of the material have the task to pinpoint and ask for removal of the illegal contents.

a. true: it was almost the materials owner's responsibility to identify which one is illegal and which ones are not. i have seen a lot of websites that have contents coming directly to copyrigthed materials but the owner did not bother to sue them. reason is that the website is about a fan website and push more attention as a free advertisement for the video material.

This means that not all contents are marked by the owner as illegal. youtube surely knows the obvious ones that can be tagged as illegal but how about the non obvious ones. one more thing is that it is verutually impossible to scan all videos since there are thousands being added each day. scanning them will be pointless since it will take you perhaps 2-3 years to or more to view each video one by one for a certain day. what about the video that will come the next day? by reviewing the video sent today, you will be months delayed in reviewing all the videos that will be sent tommorow.

b. false: if the site declares that it prohibits such activity, then it needs to provide enough personnel to ensure that it was being dealt with accordingly and review board can cope with the amount of new videos being sent.

----------------------------------------

This can be really long, since both arguments are partially correct and none is fully wrong beyond reasonable doubts.

The big question is that, "Can you stop watching videos on youtube?"

:ph34r:

This can be really long, since both arguments are partially correct and none is fully wrong beyond reasonable doubts.

:ph34r:

Everyone could stop watching videos off of youtube if they tried it would just be a little hard for some people because they use it so much for me however I hardly use it and not useing it is as easy as forgetting to check my email. I still think that youtube has some good stuff on it that is not copyright or braking any law. You can't say that simply because it has some bad stuff that youtube is bad. That is what made people think limewire is 100% for illigal use only. It was orrigionally made so people could upload persional stuff and show other users without using downloads.com or other sites like it.
Thanks,
Sparkx

i think you argument is stupid how is putting a commercial on youtube going to harm the company? or a nusic video? we can watch music videos on tv. they play music on the radio.

So? In the case of watching music videos on TV and listening to music on the radio, there is a rather big difference: the copyright holders get PAID. Do you think they get paid when some random dude uploads a version of the copyrighted video up onto Youtube? Nope, they don't. There's a HUGE difference there.

the only truly good things on youtube i find are illegal. i mean i don't want to watch a bunch of 12 year old girls at a sleepover lin syncing to britney spears and thinking tha they're all that or a buynch of little boys sininging foreign song such as dragostea din te and think that they are suddenly internet superstars

Yes, I know that most of the good things on Youtube are illegal. Frick, that's what I like about Youtube. But does that mean it's right? Does that mean that copyright holders don't care? You do know that copyright holders could care less if Youtube "dies" as a company because they refuse to let Youtube hold illegal videos? Less competition the better for them.

youtube is like a library it's usefull harmless and nobody really cares if the useres break the rules.

Harmless? No, that ain't true. I don't know how many times I've managed to avoid buying the DVD version of something just by watching it on Youtube. Let's see...nearly all the anime my friends and I have ever watched...we've nabbed it off of Youtube. And no, we never tried to pay the copyright holders ANY tribute by going and buying the DVD version or otherwise giving them their fair due. That's plenty of losses for the creator.

besides youtube has millions of dollars aswell as millions of people who have their own smalkl fortunes backing them if you tried to get the site shut down then it would be very very very very very very hard because so many people approve of it and there is the argument thata most people use it fairly. and if you tried to shut down the users who were using it illegally then it would be pointless. why? beacause people on the internet can create new accounts and if they're ip banned there is always proxies and library computers. people will always be stupid deal with it.

Erg, no. Youtube has millions of dollars, hence the reason why it is a perfect company for people to sue (especially now that it's backed up by Google....). These copyright holders won't care about shutting Youtube down. They just want to make sure their videos get off the site. To them, other videos can stay on the site if it so pleases the other copyright holders. And yes, people can create new accounts to get by the rules, but Youtube could also deal with copyrighted material better. Unfortunately, Youtube has never bothered to do so, hence the rising issues.

Ehhh? But that's not really a debatable question...[laughs]. I can stop watching as long as I have the conviction to do so. And frankly, I rarely use Youtube anyway...it's too slow in loading on my computer. [grins] (well, of course, Google Video happens to be slower, but..eh)

Ehhh? But that's not really a debatable question...[laughs]. I can stop watching as long as I have the conviction to do so. And frankly, I rarely use Youtube anyway...it's too slow in loading on my computer. [grins] (well, of course, Google Video happens to be slower, but..eh)

Aint fair.. You dont use the cool smilies..

Smilies are copyrigthed, anyone knows that? Made by some guy in 1980's something in ASCII arts category.

------------------------

I dont watch directly on youtube. I download the movies then watch them.

I agree with all except the commercials, the one get hurt was the TV station and radio station.. Unless the commercial is about a video, game or MTV which makes the viewers see a lower quality video and thinks that the whole product sucks.

I agree with all except the commercials, the one get hurt was the TV station and radio station.. Unless the commercial is about a video, game or MTV which makes the viewers see a lower quality video and thinks that the whole product sucks.

I don't think youtube and other sites like it will ever replace Television stations. No-matter if it is live feed or old video shots, the Television is simple and doesn't use up bandwidth. It is also free (if you have basic like I do) sure it has commercials but I can garentee any website that has a live feed will have ads. As for radio stations, they may be a thing of the past (not yet but soon). In car television is becoming more and more popular and music videos are funner to watch :ph34r: I think it is OK if youtube posts copyright stuff that has been around for a while. After-all if people want it bad enough (and it is a year or two old), they can simply find a television channel that is playing that movie and record it. You can also record the radio with new digital divices. I dissagree with them if they post new stuff however (suff still in the movie theiters ect). They shouldn't be doing that.Thanks,
Sparkx

As for radio stations, they may be a thing of the past (not yet but soon). In car television is becoming more and more popular and music videos are funner to watch :ph34r:

Predicting changes in technology and how we grasp them as a society is always fun and interesting.

However I don't know about you ... but my eyes are on the road when I drive.

Although listenership is DOWN in homes and has been for over two decades, there's no decline in drive-time radio. The only thing that decreases this, is CHOICE.

In other words, instead of 6 stations in one market, maybe now there's 10. And then there's the new digital satellite radio. That doesn't mean people aren't listening.

My daughter (6 yrs) watches movies in the back seat when we go on long trips. But other than that, we listen to the radio or CDs.

Back to copyrights. Although most of the comments in this thread are correct ... and YES mine are based on FACT ... there are some details to clear up.

I don't care whether you agree or whether you disagree. Copying copywritten programming (video or audio for example) IS against the law.

Youtube even states it. When you post a video ... they clearly say not to post it unless you are the copyright holder.

If you're a group of 12 year old girls at a slumber party and post a video recording of yourselves (onto youtube for example) singing a britney spears song you're actually breaking the law.

It means NOTHING whether you like the law or agree with it. Fact is ... the writer of that song is supposed to make royalties. And they receive no money when it posts illegally.

Take it a step further ... the 12 year old girls sing the same song with the CD playing in the background and then post it to Youtube. Now the artist is also out royalties. YES CASH MONEY.

But that's not commercial use, so it's not a big deal.

Here's an example of commercial use.

A business makes a video to promote their product or web site. And they use a U2 song in the background. That's copyright infringement. It's commercial use that is a much bigger issue.

Now if the generation of internet users that right now dominates youtube and myspace DON'T think this is against the law ... we have a big problem to deal with in the music business.

Musicians like to earn money too. Just because something is copyable doesn't make it RIGHT!

I'm perfectly aware of the laws that are established in my own country through highschool and college, and I'm also perfectly aware that laws are laws. But you completely disregard my entire post and pick out the first line that reflected on another post (on that was about companies and lawsuits, nota bene).

Aint fair.. You dont use the cool smilies..

Smilies are copyrigthed, anyone knows that? Made by some guy in 1980's something in ASCII arts category.

Hahahaha. Maybe I should...but I guess I prefer typing stuff out (it's what I do on Google Talk, so I guess that just transferred over here too)

Hmm...aren't some smilies copyrighted while others are free for all people to use? But I think the set of smilies this board uses are copyrighted. I've also seen news in which a company sued Walmart for using smilies that were copyrighted. (Makes no sense)

Either way, there's not stopping it. Before youtube, copyrighted material was spreaded through Peer2Peer, and whatnot. Youtube just made it a lot easier. Apparently, they also seem to rely on the community effect, if something is offensive, or not appropriate, it'll be flagged and moderated.

But for me, non-American, watching shows such as Prison Break, Lost, Heroes, or any kind of anime, I'd either have to order online until some set of DVDs comes out. Or P2P. Or torrents. I'm not bothered by the fact that it's on youtube. Moreover, youtube isn't much of a source for that kind of material anyway, these days. You can find more of that on dailymotion, veoh, stage6, etc... And honestly, I don't see a destructive thing about, not at all. In fact, before I decide to spend the little money a college student like me has, on a DVD, I'd rather go see it on whichever site to see if I like it.

Shows like Heroes even caught up with the trend, and instead of fighting it, it went along with it and made its shows, after airing, available in a similar format. Initiatives like this make me want to support the creators of the show even more to continue with their efforts into supporting their fan base, rather than "selling out" and going "Microsoft" on sites like youtube and unleashing an army of lawyers and threats.

Uhh, let's see. I do think ginginca addressed your post pretty well, since the rest of your post is just subjective stuff about whether or not there is a way for Youtube to stop it. I think we all agree that stopping it isn't the easiest thing in the world, but it can be done.

But since you asked for a link, here ya go:

To the U.S. Copyright Office main page: http://www.copyright.gov/

To the section specially dedicated to digital copyrights: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Let's see, quoted from the U.S. Copyright Office site (I don't know how much more official you can go. Please also remember we're arguing laws here, not whether it's right or wrong.)

And guess who has the copyright? The company. I could care less if "there's no stopping it". I know it's difficult to stop, but that doesn't make it any more legal just because it's hard to stop. If it was hard to stop murderers from murdering (and yes it is), does that mean murdering shouldn't be illegal? I think not. Same thing applies here.

EDIT: More point-by-pointish arguments:

Umm, yeah, I think we all agree that Youtube makes things much easier. It's a lot easier for me to watch something there than go to a nearby store, see if they have it, and so on. But does that mean it's right? Just because the majority of the people agree with it does not mean the law cannot prosecute it.

And how do the copyrighters benefit in your case of watching Prison Break, Lost, etc on Youtube rather than buying the DVD? They don't. So of course they'd want to sue Youtube; they're losing a lot of profit here. If there's a few hundred people like you (and granted, there probably is), then think about the amount of profit these companies would lose. How is it not destructive for the companies? It's not destructive for you, sure, but it is very much hurtful to the companies who get less money. Granted, it may not kill them, but they're not getting their rightful due.

And just how does that change copyright laws? If you're using the intellectual property of someone else illegally, it's illegal. Benefits to the company or not, it's still illegal. That point does not change. You may support the creators of the shows more, but many other people won't, even if they like it a lot. Prime example would be my friends and I. I know we will rarely buy the DVD versions of the shows that we watch as long as they're available in a free form. Unless I desperately wanted a solid version in my hand, I probably wouldn't go get it.

Edited by Arbitrary (see edit history)

I think they are quite within there rights, look at the size of the site and all it's content, they can't monitor every tiny little spec of dust, no one can.They also can't be 100% certain of what is actually copyrighted at any given moment and what is not, just because they put up South Park episodes, doesn't mean that South Park itself is licensed in a fashion that doesn't allow this (there are many shows that are allowed to be distributed in this fashion).So if someone doesn't like it and has a legal reason why it shouldn't be there, all they gotta do is tell them.

Gingica your a woman I assume? It seems like it, only women value copyrights.

What kind of generalization is that? I know plenty of friends who are not women and value copyrights. I also know plenty of females who don't value copyrights. I fail to see where you come up with this. I mean, guess what, the CEO of Microsoft is obviously male. You think he doesn't value copyrights? *coughs*

I think they are quite within there rights, look at the size of the site and all it's content, they can't monitor every tiny little spec of dust, no one can.

Yes they can't, but if users upload copyrighted content, that doesn't make it any more legal. I'm not saying that it's possible for Youtube to monitor every single video that is uploaded (that would require a whole department devoted to just monitoring copyrighted materials), but I'm just saying that it is illegal whether or not you get caught. Getting caught is one thing, the legality of it all is another altogether.