xisto Community
ginginca

Illegal Stuff On Youtube

Gingica your a woman I assume? It seems like it, only women value copyrights.

Look at the photo.

But as far as only women valuing copyrights? That's a generalization that isn't based on fact.

There's another law suit against YouTube: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6627135.stm

I'm sure it wasn't a woman who launched it.

That link article seems more like there doing it the other way around (exploiting google/youtube).As if youtube needs Viacom content to get a good userbase, pffft.

Yeah but I don't mind. i can go and download almost any video i want to see. YEAH!!!Well except South Park, Mind of Mencia and now The Cobert Report.Comedy Central had them all yanked B) Now i can watch south park episodes i miss and i don't want to shell out the cash for all the seasons because i don't watch them but once and then i'm done wit em. :)

long, structured post, sorry for cutting it up

Thanks for the links!

I enjoyed reading your post. And I'm totally not denying whether it's illegal or not. But you can't be the moderator of a discussion and cutting down the topic to the argument you feel that is valid. This is seriously MUCH bigger than laws. This is a large corporate entity that can bend large parts of the Internet.

So all I'm trying to bring into view, is the different angle that could be taken on this. My post was certainly not entirely subjective as more and more companies, copyright owners, etc are using sites like youtube instead of pulling a lawsuit on them. Just like major companies or upcoming movies launch podcasts, "behind-the-scenes", trailers and so on. These generate traffic and any Internet Marketer knows that pointed traffic = money. 24, Lost, Heroes, Prison Break does this. Upcoming movies like Diary of the dead, 28 weeks later, Spiderman 3 did this/are doing this. So when they start talking about lawsuits on youtube, I can't help but frown and find it a little hypocrite.

I'm not going to assume things for everyone else, but I know that me and my friends usually order a batch of DVD boxes together of a particular series or anime when we watched it online.

good question!!!
Here in Peru, copyright is not a respected word. Blockbuster was closed because the piracy wins the market: how to compete with $1 DVD's. Yesterday I saw "Spiderman 3" in a list of "new dvd's" in a "mercado"(informal market place).
Look at this to have an idea.
I don't use piracy but I don't agree with restrictive copyrights(EULA), every one must decide.

Blessings!

Youtube has terms & conditions. You can't post material that you don't own the copyright for. And as you post a new video, TWICE you have to say that you are not posting anything that you don't own the copyright to.

But why is it then ... that people post music videos (let's say Michael Jackson), and TV commmercials, and so forth where they clearly don't own the copyrights to?

You know how it is. When people set laws, other people feel the need to break them. (It's why we have the police and military!) Same issue here. People don't listen to laws and rules; they do what they want, especially when they see everyone else posting copyright material without being penalized. If everyone who posted copyright material were penalized, there'd probably be a lot less copyright infringement taking place on YouTube, but how can anyone moderate all the videos posted? A lot of them are long, there are many, MANY members, and there are only so many people working on YouTube at the same time.

However, this copyright infringement cannot always be viewed as bad. As kgd2006 said, YouTube can be a place for people to view some TV shows they missed. They can always browse over to YouTube and find whatever episode of Friends they missed while they were working overtime on a board presentation. Furthermore, there are music videos on YouTube; I don't think this hurts the artist at all, because it serves as a form of advertisement. Users browse through the videos, choose something, watch it, and think, "Hey, this artist's pretty good." Now that they like this artist, they'll go buy their CDs, T-shirts, concert tickets, whatever.

Because you can't download anything from YouTube directly except with some application, widget, or external site of some sort, the copyright material are not being exploited as much as on places such as LimeWire, where everyone uploads tons of copyright material every single day. People can get copies of this material from LimeWire and distribute it; if you're not Internet- or computer-savvy, you'll probably be unable to do the same thing with YouTube.

Serena

this is going to be hardIllegal Stuff On Youtube

It is so easy to find movies and shows on youtube. But now my conscience is catching up to me and now I think- hey, this is probably illegal to be watching this stuff for free on youtube. It is going to be hard for me to give this up