xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ginginca

Cruzer Flash Drive (usb) Whats with the software

I have a couple of 1G drives by other brands and just picked up a new 2G cruzer by Sandisk. But it comes with all this (stupid) software ... a launcher and stuff.

I'm used to plugging it in and using it. And with the launching software it wants me to WAIT until it launches its own apps.

What's the advantage? It seems quite redundant to have this extra software running.

I deleted the files, but they keep coming back. YIKES! How do I get rid of them!?

Ahh this had me interested because I am looking at buying a new drive myself so I went over to the Sandisk website and looked into it.
Now depending how you look at this software is the spawn of Satan and shouldn’t ever be installed, or on the other hand - this is great!! It’s going to save me a lot of time.
So what’s it all about? ok Sandisk have installed a series of programs on the flash memory itself and it seems to hide the files from you in explorer so you think the stick is empty but its not, the software cant be seen.
So what’s the software doing? It looks like the software has a whole bunch of functions that "sort of" run programs that run from the stick not the pc itself (I have done this myself before by loading up a bootable copy of Linux onto a stick and allowing the BIOS on my pc to boot from it, and it worked a treat;) ) so for instance if you store a word .doc on you stick then go to your mothers house who hasn’t got word the software will launch Open Office which is installed on the stick and open the document.
There is a list of programs that they have made compatible with their software and there’s some great tools like Firefox, Winrar, Winamp, Thunderbird, FileShredder, Skype, Trillian, Xfire.
You can just add these programs via the launchpad add/remove section.
There’s even a program that synchs your Internet Explorer and Firefox favourites and can synch your wallpaper also.
So it could be a really handy tool if you needed it and they claim they are adding more software that works with their software each day.
So why is it bad? I’ve worked as a network admin at a few companies and we have had to spend a lot of time disabling floppy and CD drives and disabling BIOS commands to stop users bringing in "stuff" from home.Then the USB sticks came out, damm we cant disable ALL the usb ports because we use USB mice and the sales reps have smartphones then need to USB do download mail!.
I’ve seen so many times virus breakouts come from someone that’s bringing documents back and forth from the office to the pc at home that’s riddled with Trojans etc etc via a USB stick.
Another problem is licensing of course people trying to or installing programs that they use at home on their pcs at work that are not licensed to use in the office, Microsoft can be really annoying in an software audit over these things!
With this software on the stick it’s now enabling the complete computer novice the ability to run a load of software from the stick that is against the company’s policy and run it from the stick as if it’s installed by the admin.

The good thing is I found a link that removes the launchpad software and probably give you more space back onto the memory stick.
I would be interested to know how much space you have before the removal then how much space after to see what the difference would be.
Good Luck!
Mark;)

Edited by moderator
replaced the link with another one that is working (see edit history)

Thanks for the link.I downloaded the file, and the sandisk was plugged in at the time.It said that it only supported the removal of one U3 compatible device and to remove it from the system and run the software again.So I did that.I ran it again, and it said to plug in my device. I plugged it in, but then the NEXT button wouldn't come up. I tried several times, even running the program directly FROM the device.You're right ... spawn of satan.

After unplugging my printer, the software would run.But I have to remove my data first. It will reformat the drive. And although it says it will restore the data ... I don't want to have any surprises!

Just make Windows Explorer see all hidden files and delete LaunchU3.exe and the Applications folder.
xboxrulz

When you do that it deletes the files but puts them back in again when you plug it in again. I tried it twice.

You have to use the removal tool. And when you do it, the flash drive will be reformatted.

But as it turns out the removal tool is included in the launch pad if you look for it. They just don't have anything in the help files from what I could see. And per my post above ... I had to disconnect my Epson CD printer for the removal to function. (It was thinking there were two U3 flash drives connected even though the epson doesn't store data.)

>>> Logically I really thought if I deleted the files they would be gone. (Just like what you are suggesting.) That was the reason I started this thread.

odd, they shouldn't force people to run that software, they should've left it as optional.
xboxrulz

Yes, I agree. And a waste of time to remove it too.

Plus there are a bunch of download links in the menu (AFF stuff I imagine).

thats very odd! my usb drive that is the exact same is 100% plug and play however it is older. i suggest you just bring it back to the store and say " hey this thing is just too much of hassle i don't want to deal with it i want to exchange it for another 2gb drive or i want to speak to the manager. i am very dissapointed with the quality of this product". and see if they will just change it for another brand.

I was updating/upgrading a 4gb cruzer and it was reformatted. Can't retrieve my folders and files. How could I get them restored? Thanks-question by A. B. Thomas

Lexar is also known for their stupid software when they go into the flash drive game. I've had several go out on me. I could not even format it with windows or their software. And i could never get a replacement. I'm sure it could have been mounted in Linux and reprogrammed but I'm not the guy for the job. I just took 'em apart and made key changes out of them. :mellow:I think it was like 64MB or 128MB.

Replying to Mark420Thanks for the link Mark, it worked for me. However when I searched my flash disk and enabled search hidden files I found that all the files where still on the flash drive. Though the software is no longer active.

Hidden Files on the Flash Drive

Cruzer Flash Drive (usb)

Whenever I delete files from the flash drive they go into the .Trash file and are still on the drive. If there are too many, I cannot load more files until a view hidden files and remove the already deleted files from this hidden folder. Is there any way to remove this feature or disable it when I am deleting.

-reply by TaGrove

lost informationCruzer Flash Drive (usb)

I have been working on a project for the last 18 hours and frequently saving it to my jump drive.  When I tried to pull up the saved information again after taking a rest, it has disappeared! WHERE DID IT GO????  I looked on my computer's hard drive thinking it saved there too, but all I could find was shortcuts to the drive.  I need some serious help in trying to find all the information I have lost.

PLEASE HELP! 

-question by screamingmad