xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
master_nero

Add “open With Notepad” To Right-click Context Menu

Do you use notepad very frequently to open all types of text files? This quick tweak will add âOpen with Notepadâ to all of your file context menus. Whenever you right click on a file, you will have the option to open it in Notepad.

Copy and paste the code below into Notepad. Then save it as a .reg file and import it by clicking on it.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Open with Notepad]@=â"[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Open with Notepad\command]@=ânotepad.exe %1″

i like this code! its simple and it works well! i use notepad heaps and having to go into the open with menu then select notepad can get annoying after a while! this trick will make it a bit easier to work with!thanks-jimmy

master_nero, please put CODE or QUOTE tags when posting code or any form of script. Post edited...That is a very handy feature. I always tend to use Notepad a lot as well and have used an alternative method. I have it in my SendTo context menu which also has a quick access ;)

This is similar to what i use too, i use the open with menu. If i can remember correctly if you open that type of document in that program, it will appear on the menu ready for you to use next time. I choose this way also because you can have an easy choice of more than one program to open your document in.-HellFire

That little trick is extremely useful. Not only it speeds things up when you work with text files (which I do a lot), but it also enhances security, after you learn to open all unknown files with it. It's quite surprising to me how often people click on files with an extension unknown to them, or how often they use full blown office applications to write a simple note.

Still, replacing Windows Notepad with Metapad (and I've tested a lot of such replacements) is one of the first things I do after installing a new system.

How could I use notepad2 with this trick?

Haven't tried this out myself, but it should be as simple as replacing that notepad.exe part with the full path to your notepad2.exe program. As always, backup your registry before doing this (create a system restore point if you have XP).

Looks good. I think it would be helpfull for me when I am opening .php files to edit ect. The only question that I have is if it is reaversable? Is it possible to un-do what you modify on your computer. Often times I get software or modifications onto my computer (usually just controll pannel modifications). After compleating a few projects I nolonger need that modification. It is nice to know that stuff you dont need isnt using ram or disk space (even though it probably only takes a few kb of hardrive). It seems lots of people like this modification. Just as long as it doesnt mess up my registor lol.Thanks,Sparkx

TemplateAdd “open With Notepad” To Right-click Context Menu

Could you make a template out of this wee bit o' code. For example:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT*shellOpen with Notepad]@=”"[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT*shellOpen with Notepadcommand]@=”notepad.Exe %1

Replacing the bold print with whatever and the red print with the location of whatever's exe file...

and'est pas?