xisto Community
Markymark2

Should We Delete The Gaming Forums? A poll on the games forum

Should we get rid of the Gaming side of the forum?  

2 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm for removal of the section, or at least removal of the post counter around here. I was quite surprised when, after passing by the "technically minded forums only!" warnings, I saw the gaming section. Although I admit that I've posted several times here, and some of the threads are on a high quality level, a lot of them are not. If fact, I'm a staff member on a site with 25000-members community, and I know how hard it is to moderate such section, which already is on the edge of usefulness for otherwise fine themed-forums. It is true that some of us participate in fine game-related discussions here, but there are other places (Xisto among them) we can do that on, and seeing how this section becomes an excuse for the said one-liners or other posts that nobody will read I definitely support Mark420's idea. I also would not mind deletion of my posts in this section, and would prefer the staff focusing on the threads more essential to the site's theme, instead of wasting time here.

Killer, we delete all the spam we find, that's why most aren't B)I'll weigh in on this saying to keep the section. While I also put in a lot of time tracking *BLEEP* posts in the gaming forum as well as rarely posting there myself, this place IS a technology site. Gaming is a very important and very lucrative technology business so it makes sense to keep it to me. Sure a lot of people try to abuse the section and post ridiculously cheap posts, but on the other hand sometimes there are very good discussions and debates about gaming on a level higher then "th15 g4m3s awes000me!!!1111ONE!"So yes, I'll vote to leave it and even leave it counting for credits even though it will make me have more work to do. Maybe you should just be like me and get a little quicker on the old ban button :)

20 persons voted. So, seems that only 20 persons seems concerned by the problem.I would say something : suppose that the gaming forums turns to "no post count". I'm pretty sure that, then, no spammers will be interested.Then, no more spams in this forum. Unfortunately, the people with a gamer-mainly profile will loose the opportunity of earning credits.I see an intermediate solution : what about allowing a game-only profiled guy to be a moderator on the gaming forum ? He would be motivated to keep this forum clean and spam-free !

Just to toss my own suggestion out there...Before I begin I'd like to say that I have VERY little understanding at how these forums are set up or how they work and what can/cannot be done with it...But I think it mught be a decent idea to like... Have the gaming forums so they only give hosting credits to people after they've proven themselves to be capable of good discussion.Such as, after they're hosted, or after they've been a good member for a certain amount of time... Or maybe just people who have achieved the higher level hosting package (The one that requires 30 Hosting Credits to request).I have no idea how well that would work, honestly, or if it wolud be ridiculiously hard to implement, if even possible... But I think it should be at least considerable...Because with it in place, new members who would only go in there to spam their way to hosting credits would recieve nothing in return... But once a member has proven themselves able to have an intelligent discussion and not spam and give more work to the moderators, they will be able to benefit from posting along in the gaming forums.As for myself... At the moment I haven't posted there at all, which is weird for me because I'm rather a big gamer alot of the time...I haven't even looked through the forum because I -know- they're horrible-esque right now.

Do I get to vote even if I have not been active for quite some time and I am in the process of moving over to Xisto - Web Hosting?B)Any case, here is my opinion. I have posted in the gaming forum, but most of the time, it is with the perspective of a designer. Here are the options:1. From seeing how things are going there, I would say get rid of it and direct interested members to Xisto forums. 2. If that is too harsh, you can remove the post count/credit given for posts there. And if it is kept, I would say at least combine all the subforums to one - it would hopefully deter and result in one spammy post instead of one in each sub-forum.

Everybody enjoy to play some kind of games, including computer/video games.If the problem is the garbage, then you can:1. enroll more moderators2. work more time3. add/change to more strictly rules, by example: --> game related topics need to be approved before display(like tutorials). --> max of 20 replies for every topic, moderators will allow more according to the quality of posts. --> ONE SPAM post is enough to delete your account and add your name to our PUBLIC SPAMMERS LIST.4. improve your "banned words" list5. add the option to earn credits informing SPAM POSTS B) Blessings!

Edited by develCuy (see edit history)