xisto Community
Chesso

Wireless Connection Between 2 PC's (1 Km+)

I'm not sure how feasible and or expensive this would be, but is it possible to have a reasonable wireless connection between 2 pc's 1km+? and what would I need if I could.I haven't used anything Wireless before, atleast not concerning a PC.And I'm not *exactly* sure on the distance, but I'm guessing around 1km, more or less.I used whereis.com.au to check and it's 1.81km's, but that's by road, not a straight line.

Depends what sort of router you get, and whats in the way. On a straight road, two houses on the same side of the road couldn't transmit with anything public, you'd need army/industrial transmitters.

The other house is like, in north-easterly sort of direction, but concerning house level, there's a fair bit in the way lol.It'd be nice if it could be done without anything overboard though, oh well.

yeah thats my experience too of transmitters...to cover that distance you will need a huge power output from the transmitter..I believe Marconi make one that would do the job its a military grade Transmitter thats sold as an industrial one.Now for the next problems :) Encryption!! Depending on the law that you have in your country it maybe illeagle to encrypt any signal from the transmitter - which ofc you need to do!! Licences!!Licence when using a transmitter like this depending on your country..you technically become a broadcaster and need a broadcast licence!!Imho this is going to take a ton of money to do ;(((

It's quite possible to do this with just plain Wi-fi using commonly available bandwidths. With WLAN you can do that long distances if you have line-of-sight between antennas and you use directed antennas. Usually law limits the transmitting power, but I've yet to hear that this would be monitored anywhere by the authority. So you can exceed the transmitter power safely and gain more range. This naturally means that you'd need to build the antennas yourself.

You can use radio as wireless medium. Radio is used in wireless cards.
In this case you must use a channel that is not used between the 2 end points. When someone uses the same channel the connection gets jammed. You can use kismet and a wireless notebook to discover the area. There are tutorials on the net how to select a channel to avoid jamming with others.
If there is no building between the 2 endpoints and there are few metallic parts then you have a good chance to transmit data between the endpoints. You need giant antennas. There are howtos on the net about self-made antennas. Keep in mind that radio is not healthy. The bigger the antenna and the power you radiate it effects more your and your neightboors health. An industrial transmitter in the top of the house is a good ticket to get cancer.

With leds and optical technology you can transmit data between big distances. In this case you must ensure that there is nothing in the way of the light between the endpoints.

Check this site: http://ronja.twibright.com/

As said before, wireless would be hard to set up. What do you need it for? If you want to hook a computer up to the internet, then your best bet would be to get a new service - it would be cheaper! If you just want the connection, I suggest using standard internet to do so - check out hamachi.cc for a possible way to set it up.

Well the person on the other end has some very difficult and idiotic parents concerning computers and won't allow them to use there connection (due to a 400mb monthly bandwidth limit, yeah laughable).But were used to keeping in touch over instant messaging, and sharing files and it would be easier that way.I don't think I want to wack an industrial antenna and what not outside though lol.

Morover, I guess that everybody withing the 1.4 kilometer range will be able to use your Internect connection if you allow them. Then, you will probably we considered as an ISP, like AOL or the other ones, and you will have to pay a giant licence.I think that if that guy is so close to your home, you may simply interchange CDRW's in order to avoid the 400mb monthly bandwidth limit problem. This will need far less time and energy than synchronyzing huge and/or directive antennas.

Well it's wouldn't have access to my internet, I would see to that.It would be meant as a type of LAN, for distance communication (while either of us get our work done on the computer) and to share files etc without wasting bandwidth.If it could be done without so much trouble (or a really long ethernet cable.....) it would be really nice.If we lived on farms or something I would honestly go out and get myself a few hundred meters (or 2000 meters, w/e is necessary) of ethernet cable and attempt to do it that way (with some outside protection for the cable of course).It'd be fun to expirement with too, but here in the Sydney suburbs, that wouldn't go down well at all lol.

Edited by Chesso (see edit history)

I have laid long ethernet cables over 5 houses and into a neighbours house and it worked fine with a repeater (makes the signal stronger).The only problem belive it or not would be the difference in any between your houses power supply from the main system..in a business situation to link two buildings to another say in a big factory..Fibre instead of enternet cables would be used each time..this is to do with the difference in the earth or 0V supply..and potential difference could cause any card or router to spark over and cause a shock probably breaking the equipment..Also its a long time since i did my Essential Networking exams..but im pretty sure standard cat5 ethernet cable can only "officially" run at 100M heres some specs I dug up..Here are the 'offical' specs:(100Base-t IEEE 802.3u)100Base-T4 Category3 or 4 = 100Metres (4 pair)100Base-TX Category5 = 100Metres (2 pair)100Base-FX Multimode fibre = 2Km , single mode 10KmI know Cat5 can go further than 100m maybe 200m but then you start to open up packet loss issues and re TX of data so it goes really slow ;(Also you have to remember that you should only have 3 hops (ie three hubs or repeaters) between machines becasue then it will give you odd errors also..Also out on the street how are you going to power the repeaters or hubs>?Hmm this is not an easy solution ;(

True, I highly doubt I'll have a chance to try this stuff, atleast not any time soon, but if anyone else wants to chime in with any other ideas, adding on and what not, go for it, I'm definitely interested hearing it.

Check this out:
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

You get about a 12-15db gain which is enough for 3-5 km. It's only about 5 dollars in materials. You need direct line of sight though. You can mount it on top of you roof. Make sure you ground it though because if lightning strikes, your wireless receiver is dead. It's interesting though, give it a try. It'll probably work.

i was just abut to sugest that,Iv seen tutorials to make a WiFi antena that reaches 4.8 kmi also saw these weird lazer channel things that are pointed exactly at each other and shoot beams into each other, but these were ment for big compnies that have multiple office buildings and have to share internet and they go over streets.