xisto Community
Elmbonsai

Text To Voice Converter

Hello, I am looking for a text to voice converter that will allow me to type something into either the programs user interface or allow me to cut and paste something from Word. Here's the tricky part, I need the voice to sound as real as posible, not like the microsoft digi sounding voice that they use on the Simpson's for Steven Hawking, I don't want to sound like a genius just regular schmo.Any information that anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.Thank you.

Well, once I found this program, because I needed my written text to be an mp3, so I found on google VoiceMx, here is the url I found today for this product: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

But note, that it is not free, you only can try the trial and need to buy the software. :) And in fact, the voice isn't as real as in my opinion you desire, but it is much better than microsoft sam or stuff.

Thanks Quatrux, I will give this one a try.
If you don't mind the voice to be 1.digi 2. female 3. British accent try this program
Alien Speech
You just type what you want into the text field and then press play and it will read your text.

To convert it to MP3 I use this program,
Audacity
This program allows you to record the voice sound from your computer, no microphone needed.
I then save it as an MP3 (the first time you try to save as an MP3 it will tell you where to go to download the MP3 encoder)

I hope this helps you guys but I still haven't found a realistic sounding voice.

Elmbonsai, if you are still looking for a program to convert the text to speech, take a look at:

http://www.naturalreaders.com/index.html

It will read the text aloud and although it still doesn't sound 100% natural, it seems to be the closest ones I've heard. I compared it to a few other alternatives out there including the project created by AT&T labs:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

The AT&T one doesn't sound natural at all, but you might want to give it a try and compare the differences.

where as personally i would be looking for a text to voice converter that can do dalek sounds, which will come in handy to replace some systems sounds as. or even a minion sound (from overlord and overlord 2) so that i can use those sounds for prank calling just simply call up the revelant people and have them say anything and not get caught out anyway back to topic. i do not personally believe that computer programs can fully create realistic voices i think that they can only get close to the real thing. although if you put it into audacity you might be able to tune up the sound to get it closer to the real thing(not the microsoft ones) as we all know the microsoft ones won't ever sound real as microsoft would be giving stuff away and thats not part of microsofts initive.

Mac OS X Snow Leopard by default has 10 voices (5 male and 5 female voices) available for use with text-to-speech conversion. The default voices are usable and OK to listen to, but they lack fluency and correct pronunciation in some cases (more case depending on the type of words and accents required for correct pronunciation).Unfortunately, no text-to speech software or voices are available that are capable of text-to-speech at a professional level. The best voices I could find are probably the AT&T Labs Natural Voices (http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/).If you need to record text as speech, the best possible way is to hire a professional voice actor. This has been no doubt the best way to produce clear and audible speech, as seen in its widespread use in GPS devices (the voices giving directions are recorded in professional studios using voice actors).

I use Adobe PDF Reader to listen to long articles and rest my eyes. The voice is not that pleasant but it's not bad. If you want to record it, still need an external program.