xisto Community
szupie

How Do You Pronounce "char"? A Poll

How do you pronounce "char"?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Linux vs Lie-nuxSCSII vs SCASI/SEESI
GNOME vs Gee-NOME
emule vs e-mule

more?

I heard a lot of people saying SC-oo-SI (and not SCASI) (oo like the spanish u ).
I would say each tribe has it's way of pronouncing things.

The worst case was the first time I heard a stranger pronouncing the name of the very famous ".rhost" file, it sounds as DATEREI !

What are your pronunciations for:

Linux vs Lie-nux
SCSII vs SCASI/SEESI
GNOME vs Gee-NOME
emule vs e-mule

more?

I say lie-nux, but my brother says lin-uxs
Don't know them
GNOME
Don't know.

Ascii - A-ski
Most of the rest are just phonetic english.

I heard a lot of people saying SC-oo-SI (and not SCASI) (oo like the spanish u ). I would say each tribe has it's way of pronouncing things.

Yeah, you're right. Here i hear SCASI a lot, and some noobs trying to spell it each time they want to refer to such, so the rest of people usually laught at them (i'm ashamed of this because of some years ago...)

Yeah, you're right. Here i hear SCASI a lot, and some noobs trying to spell it each time they want to refer to such, so the rest of people usually laught at them (i'm ashamed of this because of some years ago...)

Well, I always pronounced it scuzzy SCSII. It is even how all of my books refer to its pronounciation.
GNOME is like the little garden guys or the name of the Alaskan city. We have a sillent "G" in English when it preceeds "N". So it would be "nome"!

Linux - that is an odd one since I have always heard it pronounced with a short "I" sound. The same "I" as in window! What is odd about it is that it was devloped by a guy named Linus! Linus uses a long I sond like "like". Even more confusing is that he named it for "Linus Unix" so shouldn't it be "linix"!@!$#@!

emule is just emule. Never thought anything about it. It is like email or ecommerce!

I can't believe all of you people that have been taught the wrong way to pronounce "character"! Not "chr", "character"!
What is a "char" "actor" or even a "car" "actor"?

The word is pronounced with a long "a" "r" like care. Like "care" "actor" so it stands to reason that the abbreviation for character is pronounced care! The "H" in this case is silent.

For some reason, somebody mispronounced chr some time ago and it stuck it seems.

I could go on and on but I won't.

vujsa

Wow, the results are much different than I had expected. I never knew there were that many people who pronounce it "carr" (I just put that option there because I couldn't think of anything else). I think we should have a more elaborate survey, with questions like:Are you a native English speaker? If so, which part of the English-speaking world?How did you learn programming? Through an instructor or through books/internet?Did you know what char stood for when you first saw it?I have another pronunciation problem. I know I am wrong about this, but when I say ASCII, I pronounce it as "ey-es-see-I--". It's really natural for me, since if I say it fast, it all flows together as aessei--. ("ey" as in "hey", -- meaning longer sound)But my teacher says it as "*bottom*-Key", which I think sounds pretty offensive. Do you guys pronounce it like that too?

But my teacher says it as "*bottom*-Key", which I think sounds pretty offensive. Do you guys pronounce it like that too?

French people pronouche it as *bottom*-key, and it's quite natural because it's the way in France words written that way are pronounced.

I've only ever heard of ASCII pronounced as "*bottom*-key" when spoken verbally. I never found it offensive sounding since lots of words have "*bottom*" in them without being offensive (assignment for example... well they are offensive often but not because of "*bottom*" being in the name hehe)

I have to go with Char, I know I am not the smartest guy in the world (still waiting for my IQ results) but the "CH" tells you how it is pronounce.

Also this link will tell oyu how to pronounce it in context.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/char

I guess I'm weird. I say it both "charr" as in charge and care. I pronounce it charr when I am talking about a single character, but then I say care-array when I am talking about a string of such chars. I guess I haven't decided which one I like better.

I guess I'm weird. I say it both "charr" as in charge and care. I pronounce it charr when I am talking about a single character, but then I say care-array when I am talking about a string of such chars. I guess I haven't decided which one I like better.

This sometimes happens to me when i handwrite the number 8. Sometimes i write it the normal way, but very often i write it by drawing the reverse path.

Well, I always pronounced it scuzzy SCSII. It is even how all of my books refer to its pronounciation.GNOME is like the little garden guys or the name of the Alaskan city. We have a sillent "G" in English when it preceeds "N". So it would be "nome"!

Linux - that is an odd one since I have always heard it pronounced with a short "I" sound. The same "I" as in window! What is odd about it is that it was devloped by a guy named Linus! Linus uses a long I sond like "like". Even more confusing is that he named it for "Linus Unix" so shouldn't it be "linix"!@!$#@!

emule is just emule. Never thought anything about it. It is like email or ecommerce!

Actually, i think some of those mispronounced words are that because they are spoken, then written down (books, magazines, etc), and after read by teachers at random places in the world, so they assume the pronunciation varying up on the context. For instance, i believe that here is very common the SCASSI (not like SCASEY, but like the latin A), because someone read "scuzzy" from a computing book written in english, and figured out a pronunciation like Muzzy, some others read literally "scuzzy" like "scoosi" (thats the way the "u" letter is pronunced at some latin derived languages), and so on.

Yes, when i was a child, i enjoyed a lot the "David the Gnome" cartoon, and it's been pronunciated always like "nome". In english it's clear that a "G" preceeding an "N" is sillent, but this isn't obvious for other languages. I'm not french speaker, but i guess that the pair "GN" in that language sounds different than the G and N each alone. I didn't know that there is an alaskan city named gnome, pretty curious though, is there any other city named "ELF" or so? (heh, i don't intend to laught at elfian or gnomian people, because i live in a village which name literally means "goat")

I pronounce Linux with the short 'I', so I can be more coherent when pronouncing Lindows.

I just wrote the "emule" example, (nowadays, i think "emule" became famous like "email", you might guess why, lol) because at some places in the world people tend to separate the pronunciations of neologisms that are made up from composite words, shortcuts and prefixed. Some people would put the enphasis at the "mule" part, but others pronounce the "e" prefix clearly separated from the whole word.
Edited by DrK3055A (see edit history)

I don't even know where this word is used, but I say "charr". Seems logical to me. Or maybe it's because my mother language surrounds the basis of "read what you see".

I don't even know where this word is used, but I say "charr". Seems logical to me. Or maybe it's because my mother language surrounds the basis of "read what you see".

As mentioned earlier, this is a programming language "term" (one can call it that). char is just a declaration of a variable to be of character type. All or at least most programmers should know this :) So for all you "non programmers" LOL...that's all it means.
I always pronounced it as "char" as in the charcoal example used above :ph34r:

I've honestly always said it as "care" as in character as that is what it come from if I remember correctly. Anyway, it doesn't really matter at all how other people pronounce it, as long as they pronounce it care... =P

Well, for me I've always been pronouncing it as the usual char, the one that comes from charcoal. However, at times, I do read it as Car, but, when saying it out (i doubt i've ever said it!), it's mostly the charr...anyway, I guess, and i bet, that the Car thing is what should be the most sensible and correct one.Just my 2 cents though <_<

I usually say char exactly like chair. But when I think about it, I think it is pronounced care as in the first syllable of character. I think that everyone says it differently, and there is no right or wrong way to say it. Thats weird to me though, when I think `bout it. Lol -Murtahg