xisto Community
tezza

How Many Computers Do You Have?

I really can't see why normal every-day computer users would need more than 2 computers, at most, and even that is a bit exaggerated! I mean, of course, just like any geek, I too feel the excitement of owning as much gadgetry as possible, but a computer is not just a green laser or something of the sort, it is an expensive piece of equipment. Most people here could use two computers for all their needs! Maybe one computer for more CPU-intensive tasks, and another one for general simple use. And yes, you can even merge your P2P-specific machine into one of your two workstations by use of proper protection. If you have enough money to invest in so many computers, you might as well have so money for a decent anti-virus program.

Sorry if this comes off as really insulting and critical... but I'm just a bit jealous, that's all. :) Just kidding, even though I am jealous, but I really think that owning so many computers is a waste. I have one computer for myself, while my mom has a laptop, and my dad has a desktop at home and another laptop at work (and wherever else he's at). All of our computers are really old. My personal machine is about 3-4 years old, while my mom's laptop is a big younger, but for some reason it's the slowest computer I have witnessed working. Opening Microsoft Outlook takes about 5 minutes! :D My dad's computer is about 5-6 years old, but still working quite well, and he even does a bit of video processing on it!

So that's all we need...

Oh, and by the way, all of our computers are running Microsoft Windows XP, some of them even legally. :D

And again, sorry to have come off as really harsh!

for my part, I'm jealous of Unimatrix and his mac collection. I so wish i could get one of those. here though, there's basically no market for apple products, and one store only who's an authorised reseller, so it doesn't make sense for me to spend the huge premium it would cost. You do have to realise that i mentioned that my home is my office as well, and i'm not the only one using all those computers. Still, with the insane power surges and dust and whatnot here, having at least 3 or 4 computers is the minimum so that you've always got something to fall back on when the surge fries your hard disk. ---a few months back there was a prolonged spike and the regular 220v jumped to 440. I lost almost a thousand dollars worth of equipment.

Really - You have a lot of computers!!!!!We have 4 kind of computers, one broken handheld that doesn't work, one broken 10 inch laptop, and one desktop and 1 new workingf laptop.The 10 inch lapotpi its thickness not its screen size.

I have 6 working computers in my house. 5 of them are for gaming and things like watching movies, and Ect. The last one is for business and work related things. There is also a few computers that have been outdated and scrapped for parts.

A lot actually, but I don't use all of them.1 computer which I built for developping my master thesis (needs CUDA)1 computer which I use as multi-purpose server (Debian server, http, mysql, multimedia, backup, ... a Pentium III 733)1 laptop which I use the most (Dell Inspirion 6400)1 laptop as SVN server (available from the internet, a crappy Pentium MMX 266 w/ 64Mb RAM)1 laptop which I can use as RDS server for VirtualBox (also a Pentium MMX 266)0,5 computer which I'll use if I find a case and PSU for it ;) I also have a lot of old hardware in the attic which is enough for building at least 2 DX4 pc's and onother PIII pc.My mother also has a pc, my sister had a pc and a laptop and my father has 2 pc's, a Mac and a netbook.And there are 3 pc's in my fathers room that need to be repaired.So grand total is 15 pc's =p

Edited by wutske (see edit history)

I have 3 laptops, 4 desktops, and one spare computer. Anyways, There is a computer coming in the mail that is going to arrive any minute now, hopefully not when I'm posting on Xisto; he most annoying time to have the door to ring. But anyways, there is an iPod Touch® and an iPhone®. So, I am just one giant electonic man made up of just electrons; nothing else.Regards,-Hannah

Hmm.If it's really allowed to count the spare computer, the "just in case" computer and the "ready to be repaired" computer, and the Iphone, and my grand-mother computer, and the X386 which is probably somewhere around here, I also have a lot !

Umm.... Yordan, what is the "just in case" thing all about. It is kind of strange to think about it the way! ;) Anyways, there should really be a poll in this topic because "How many computers in your household including the just in case computer" is more of a question then a statement to be! Oh my, it is a 1st Graders grammer class for us! ;)-Hannah

in my house there is my computer in my bedroom, then there is my brothers computer in the bedroom then my brother has a lap top. Also my sister has a computer in her bedroom, then there is a computer in the loft. My dad also has a laptop. We also have two fully functioning imb laptops these are old and will only run windows M.E at the most and generally dont run as good. there is also enough parts in the loft to build at least three computers but they would be very old at least ten year old parts. so that would be eleven computers in total it would be 8 not counting having enough parts to build at least three computers.

Umm.... Yordan, what is the "just in case" thing all about. It is kind of strange to think about it the way!

Most of the new PC games could not run on my PC. So, time was come for a PC change. However, the old PC was still able to surf on the net, post on Xisto forum and read my e-mails. So, if my new PC has a problem and has to go back to store for repair, the old computer is ready to temporary replace it.And if the new computer I placed in the public library office happens to be down, the old one is still under the table, ready to read the database off the floppy and restart my home-made application.
So, two computers are cold-standby disaster-recovery ones, so I was wondering if I can add "+2" to my total computers number.
And a friend of mine expects having to run some Win95 programs, so I put an old PC (no display, no keyboard, no mouse) connected to his main PC via a private VNC network (a single scart Ethernet cable ;) ). In that case, I should add "+3" to my current declared number of PC's.

I'm a cheap skate. Never thrown a computer away. I currently have 4 desktops, two used by my children, one used as a file server - well, it would be if I could make the network do what I want it to do although I just got an idea. I'll have to try it out when I get home.4 Desktops, 1 old junky laptop with a bad stick of memory in it and one laptop I borrowed from work.