xisto Community
xboxrulz1405241485

Firefox 2 To Come Out On Oct 24, 2006 Thats tomorrow

Downloading now for OSX and I will tomorrow for all the office PC's. Although I have to admit, we're leaning towards Opera at this point when we do our next round of upgrades when we move to our new facility next year. Still I am using Safari right now because it works and does everything I need. If it ain't broke...However, some of our people boot XP on our intel iMacs and I don't let them surf with IE. So Firefox it is

The only down side is none of my extensions work yet, esp. the JogaTV companion.

xboxrulz, you might find out this link very useful. It teaches how to make all your old extensions work in the latest Firefox builds.

Also, it does so in 3 different ways. =)
I used to do it the hard way, though once I found this resource did it that way nevermore...

thanks but apparently, it isn't working on my Firefox on the part of just installing the xpi.
xboxrulz

Well it works here...
Try any of the two other solutions. Last one (the "hard" always works.

@xboxrulz

firefox have a new class checking for its extension.. it was not in there on RC2.. i even tried to cheat from it to pass my template and the cool torrent downloader i have as extension which have a rating of works on firefox 3?

it will try to update the extensions and download them and do will dutifully install the new xpi's.. if you are going to cheat.. disable the auto update for extensions..

@minnieadkins

there are alot of changes in the kernel.. if you dont notice.. a glitch in some extensions causes firefox to have memory leaks.. i never have encountered a memory leak so far..

the render was faster and the download speed and translations for the pages for firefox was way faster.. much faster than IE does.. no idea with Opera, it was horrible on some sites i visit..

most of the changes in the browser is the automation of those pesky task you need to install and "do it yourself" patching, cutomization to max firefox.

though i have no idea on what people say about a spell checker..

@Jeigh

it is nor memory hungry like before.. it used to eat up 100mb from my pc's memory.. the patch of 1.5 and crashed much.. now it did not crash even a bit..

plus, all ajax generated and javascript generated views into firefox was now vieawable.. i have an ajax that replace this tags

<div name = "replaceme" id = "replaceme"></div>

with data contents from the ajax parser which of course was controlled by javascript.. if you use view source, you get the <div> tags.. but you can highlight that ouput on the screen and select "view selected source".. this feature cuts my developement time into a third for ajax projects..

firefox on the other hand have a flaw on its system.. selecting the "view selected source" and pressing the shift button while pressing the end key will strangely eats up your processor time.. it was not like that before.. anyway everything goes back after 1 minute..

for the look and feel.. you can change the themes.. that is whay themes are for.. :P

a side note:

IE7 crashed on my machine 70+ times the last week.. imagine the horror i got..

i now have firefox2, deactivated IE [damn IE, wont get uninstalled] and Opera..

Firefox 2.0 is probally the best so far. OPERA is an awesome webbrowser too, and IE is going somewhere.But. Which is better? i will make a poll to see which three are most used and most liked. I will make the poll and edit this post and post a link, look at this post frequently untill I can get it up.PLASMA

This has been polled to death already and simple fact is that still about 80% of webserfers use IE, 20% other including Firefox & Safari. Frankly I'm still sticking with Safari for the same reason most people use IE on windows...it's the default on Mac and works for all my needs. I keep Opera et. al. for testing since I do design webpages

and I use Mozilla Firefox because it's default on UNIX machines :P?
xboxrulz

following that one.. geez.. i should be using konqueror when i am on lunix..

My linux have konqueror as default.. my lindows [linux/windows merge] have no default.. no browser for me..

my windows have IE but was so buggy.. guess i need to use it..

wow and i thought IE was the only browser that crashed?In 7 years of using OPERA I think ive seen it crash about 5 times...all in the same day when i had over 50 tabs open at once and it was having problems refreshing them all...On the latest versions even this is no problem for the amazing wonder that is OPERA...Never been much of a follower of the crowd and I never followed the crowd into using Firefox..and guess never will!!!Totally happy with my non crashing OPERA -oh and its MORE compliant than ANY other browser on the market too!!~! oh and safer from security issues....how long wil it take for a hack to appear on FF2???