xisto Community
szupie

Deleting A Corrupt File Cannot delete a corrupt file on Windows XP...

Unlocker worked for me

Deleting A Corrupt File

Yay! unlocker worked for me! I had a file that I coudnt delete and now it did!

I cant delete a corruppt file, I tried using chkdsk with no results...HELP! Any help would be greatly appreciatedthx, jay

Having just spent two days figuring out how to delete a corrupt file in Windows NTFS, I can tell you more than you want to know about it. This is on Windows 2000 Pro, so your mileage may vary with other OSs.

First, the GUI Checkdisk will not touch it. It will tell you the disk is fine. (I knew it was not, because my backup program quit with a "read error" message.) The defrag program will treat it as untouchable, and defrag everything else around it.

As others have said, there are many warnings against using Linux to alter NTFS filesystems. The folks who are trying to change this are at Linux-NTFS, and think they have fixed it. Specifically, they say: We just have released ntfsprogs 2.0.0 with full read/write support! So if you have this version, it may be able to do the cleanup.

However, back to doing it in Windows. It turns out that Microsoft has a Knowledge Base Article that relates to this issue. One learns there that the DOS version of chkdsk can do things the GUI version cannot. However, the story is not yet over. If you try to run the DOS chkdsk in the Windows partition you are trying to repair, it will tell you Cannot lock current drive .. the volume is in use by another and refuse to run. You must have a multi-boot system with 2 (or more) Windows partitions, and run chkdsk D: /f /r with "D:" replaced by the drive assigned to the partition with the bad file. Actually, it turns out that chkdsk D: /r will repair it, even though it is not supposed to make any changes without the /f switch. I tried omitting the /f switch because I wanted to test some other options, but the bad sector was removed by that operation.

It's amazing to me that the GUI checkdisk gives a disk with read errors a clean bill of health, but don't forget that this software is from Microsoft. :)

Final notes on Windows cleanup of files with read errors. Most people do not have multiple bootable Windows partitions on their hard drive, so here are a few clues to do the work in the affected partition.Previous folks here have said just delete the file. The details I am providing here are for the case in which you do not know which file is the problem. My backup program simply reports getting a read error somewhere in the partition and quits. These methods will work when you don't know the name or location of the offending file.First, of course, is to use the Windows distribution CD, if you have it. It has a recovery mode, and that is almost certain to have chkdsk. Since the OS on the hard drive is not running when you boot from the CD, that should work. Second, as many people have mentioned in this thread, go into "Safe Mode." There is a somewhat more powerful option, which I have just checked out. It is the "Recovery Console." If you want to be prepared for problems, you can install it into the Windows system on the hard disk. Then, when you boot up, you can be presented with the option of running either the normal system or the recovery console. In the recovery console, I have verified that you can run "chkdsk /r" on the partition with the running OS, so that is probably another way to deal with read errors.But again, this is Microsoft software. When you boot up in the Recovery Console, you have access to only a limited set of commands. (Type HELP to see them.) Chkdsk can be run, but "dir" does not show it in the WINNT folder. Going (cd system32) to the System32 folder, you will find that "dir chk*.*" brings up two files: chkdsk.exe and chkntfs.exe. The former is presumably what runs when you try executing it. Even though "dir" sees chkntfs, the Recovery Console won't let you run it. If you are running from a CD, you may be able to run it (though that may create more problems than it solves, since the system you are running on may be incompatible with the one you are repairing (e.g., different Service Releases.) Anyway, that completes what I have learned (and not learned) about cleaning up read errors in NTFS files. I sincerely hope that (1) you never have to use this information, but if you do, (2) I hope these notes speed the process for you! :)

There are various file delete programs that are available on the web that can assist you in delete undeletable files. However, there is a tutorial that was compiled by a MS-MVP that may help:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_undeletable_file.htm
A quick Google search would bring up other tutorials on deleting the files.

If your system files are corrupted, it is best for you to reformat the hard disk and install the operating system again, since corrupted files usually affect the performance of the system.

Replying to tommydangerReplying to tommydangerUnlocker worked! Thanks, what it didn't say and took a little playing in the web site is that there is a key in the left lower corner and you have to click 'delete' there as well.Then after reboot.The corrupted file was running my cpu at 100% and not allowing anything else to be done.Thanks again-reply by jeff

Use ChkDsk

Deleting A Corrupt File

To use chkdsk just type "chkdsk /f" on you command prompt, you'll get a mesage saying that chkdsk cannot lock the current file and that It will run the nest time you reboot your system. So reboot it and that fixes all the corrupted files problems without filling tour PC with crap you are using just once.

-reply by Chepecj

Thanks!Deleting A Corrupt File

THANK God FOR THE THREAD!!Have been wanting to know this forever, I fixed my own problems now too! Thanks for the question, and thank you to all who answered with great information!

Corrupt Files in my C: drive stopping me from my computerDeleting A Corrupt File

I am still having troubles with getting rid of these 3 corrupt files.  Chkdsk didnt work chkdsk /F didnt work. The website didnt work.  I don't know what to do.?. 

-question by TROUBLED

Dont download from ccollomb.free.frDeleting A Corrupt FileThreats found: 3Here is a complete list:Threat Name: InfostealerFile name: C:Program FilesUnlockerUnlocker.ExeSignature (MD5): 0be187433f06ce210fb8c76c9be330aeLocation: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ Name: Trojan.VundoFile name: C:Program FilesUnlockerUnlocker.ExeSignature (MD5): 3c6ec0d1da0bb0f3ec811469b0f36166Location: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ Name: Trojan HorseFile name: C:Program FilesUnlockerUnlocker.ExeSignature (MD5): 3cf0ca8d7c3c6cb902ddb2d5faa17681Location: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ by Mike