xisto Community
m107

Best Antivirus

Sorry for being a complete noob (not really) but what is NOD32??? Heard of it a couple of times before but hmm... I really recommend AdAware SE Personal... or Corporate (which I think is even better).Enjoy my 2 cents :P

Sorry for being a complete noob (not really) but what is NOD32??? Heard of it a couple of times before but hmm...

I really recommend AdAware SE Personal... or Corporate (which I think is even better).

Enjoy my 2 cents :P

That's not antivirus :P But it is good antispyware. If you want to put your personal computer on my school's network, you MUST have AdAware installed and pass a scan. For antivirus, they really don't care what you have as long as you pass a scan.

But for AVG, you could have a server that downloads updates and puts them into a folder and then configure the 20 clients to ALWAYS check that folder on the local server for updates & to always update off of that.

[N]F

Then what freeware antivirus program would you recommend for me, Nightfox?? I really like AdAware because it has a nice engine and best of all, it's free too :P

I really didn't like AVG because it was horrible last time I used it - like 4 years ago. It failed to take away the viruses and stuff - just scanned them, found them, and did nothing, literally. :P So I guess it's not that good eh?

Then what freeware antivirus program would you recommend for me, Nightfox?? I really like AdAware because it has a nice engine and best of all, it's free too :P

I really didn't like AVG because it was horrible last time I used it - like 4 years ago. It failed to take away the viruses and stuff - just scanned them, found them, and did nothing, literally. :P So I guess it's not that good eh?

OK, you should master three different items.

1) Ad-Aware is a spyware remover. It does correctly it's job, and you are right you must use this, because you always need a spyware remover. Unfortunately, it acts only on sypwares, it does not take care of viruses.

2) AVG is a virus remover. You need a virus remover. AVG is free, check the today version to see if you can support it.

I think if it tells you that you have a virus, it's a good thing, you know that you have a problem aind you know on which file this problem is related. It's better than nothing, sometimes you don't know that you have a virus and you do nothing. If I knew I had a virus and my antivirus could not remove it, I could look for a specific virus remover, or re-format my hard disk.

3) You also need a firewall, in order to prevent people from outside entering your system without being invited. These external people or processes are neither viruses neither spywares, you need a firewell in order to block them. Zone-alarm has a free version which is rather correct, better than nothing.

Of course, if you have money, you could by an integrated environment, like Mc Afee sells one, doing everything : anti-spyware, anti-virus and firewall. Unfortunately, their trial version is free only during one month, then you have to buy the full version.

I personally use Kaspersky, and I feel it's the best (although I use it for personal computer use). I'd reccommend AVG Free or NOD32 for your purposes, though.

For the last couple of weeks i have been dealing with a worm. It copies itself to C:\Windows with the name bittorrent.exe. it infects any usb device connected to the infected computer and any computer you connect the infected usb to and so on. I downloaded F-Prot and updated it, it could not find the worm. I installed McAfee and updated the virus definitions to the latest release but it also could not find the worm. So i downloaded Avast! and updated the definition. Voila it found the worm and cleaned it up good. So i suggest avast! which proved me the "up-to-date"ness of itself. And also avast! is free for home users. Give it a try i say there is a 60 day trial if you want.

When dealing with viruses, i would certainly recommend norton internet security 2007, because not only does it protect you from the latest viruses, but it also protects you from phishing sites, hackers, worms, and more. I have tried many other anti-virus softwares, and found norton better because with ones such as NOD32, AdAware or SpyBot, they found my computer clean of viruses. When i scanned my system with noron, six security risks and a deadly virus were found and instantly removed. Norton, without a doubt, is the best computer security program in every way.

quote:When dealing with viruses, i would certainly recommend norton internet security 2007, because not only does it protect you from the latest viruses, but it also protects you from phishing sites, hackers, worms, and more. I have tried many other anti-virus softwares, and found norton better because with ones such as NOD32, AdAware or SpyBot, they found my computer clean of viruses. When i scanned my system with noron, six security risks and a deadly virus were found and instantly removed. Norton, without a doubt, is the best computer security program in every way. I would not advise Norton Internet Security, any product made by norton is due to be rubbish lolJokes, i havn't tried it, ill download it tomorrow (or today since it's past 12 am) and try it for you.I find Spybot search and destroy still the best or i choose nothing (on my mac ;))Just get a mac people-Lewis

NOD32 anyday! I've tried Symantec, McAfee, Kaspersky and all were terrible compared with NOD32.Currently, I'm running 2 anti-virus checkers on my system (for extra security), NOD32 (of course) and Zone Alarms Security Suite. To be honest, I wouldn't trust the Zone Alarms anti-virus too far but it's there for extra pease of mind. Also, have AVG on my other machine which is ok for a very version.Hope this helps.

Loads of people around here suggesting AVG, I see! But I'd recommend you to go for Alwil Software's Avast! Antivirus (Yeah, that ! is in the Registered name! ;) ) Take a look at https://www.avast.com/de-de/index and see for yourself!

Once you've seen all the awards its got, you'll be amazed at how efficient and 'updated' it can be - now that we're talking of updates here! ;)

I think the Server Edition would be the best match for your environment. I've been using the Home Edition for ages now, and with great results too. Especially, this software shows what its up to, and doesn't eat up RAM like Norton!

P.S.:I LOVE posting to Xisto Forums in this new UI! ;)