xisto Community
evion

Unable To Connect My Comp. To A Wireless Network

This happened to me many times before and i eventually had to call my uncle over to help me fix it up. Miraculously, it always works everytime he comes. So the last time he came, i watched carefully and made sure i remembered everything he did. It was not exactly complicated, and he set up the network manually for each computer. All he did was set up a wireless network using the wizard and then set up a home or small office network using another wizard. I did it again with my new desktop but it didn't work. Even though i set permissions for the firewall to allow it and also set the other computers to allow my computer. I did everything required for a network, designate a common workgroup name that every computer has and everything. I even went to one of the computers to see if that computer can find my computer as a workgroup computer and it did. What i DON'T see is the shared folders all the other computers have in this new desktop.My second problem is with my wireless connection. Everytime i startup my computer and login, i get the usual yada yada with the wireless connection, saying it's connected and such. But a few minutes of using the computer later, on the taskbar, it shows a picture saying it is not connected. When i hover my cursor over it, it says it is not connected either. Yet i can use the internet and IM with the exception of MSN which doesn't seem to work. I double-click it and find 2 very weird things:1. It says not connected in my SSID box.2. But when i click it, it says if i double-click i will disconnect from the network, which also means I am connected to the network, yet I'm kinda not.Can someone help me with this? Everytime i buy or get something new it always comes ready with faults. Even my old computer which my brother is using now works better when he's using it in his room. Technology hates me.... :DUPDATE: Also, i just noticed that everytime after awhile of the ugly X on the wireless connection it will disconnect itself and reconnect after i repair it, but repairing will always stop at "Connnecting to wireless network" even though i can use the internet. This is getting weirder....

Edited by techocian (see edit history)

linux ubuntu

I'M UNABLE TO CONNECT TO MY ROUTER WHEN USING UBUNTU 7.10. WHEN I TRY TO CONNECT TO IT I LOSE ALL FUNCTIONALITY OF MY KEYBOARD AND STILL NOT ABLE CONNECT TO MY ROUTER WIRELESSLY. PLEASE HELP!

-mark

This happened to me many times before and i eventually had to call my uncle over to help me fix it up. Miraculously, it always works everytime he comes. So the last time he came, i watched carefully and made sure i remembered everything he did. It was not exactly complicated, and he set up the network manually for each computer. All he did was set up a wireless network using the wizard and then set up a home or small office network using another wizard. I did it again with my new desktop but it didn't work. Even though i set permissions for the firewall to allow it and also set the other computers to allow my computer.

I did everything required for a network, designate a common workgroup name that every computer has and everything. I even went to one of the computers to see if that computer can find my computer as a workgroup computer and it did. What i DON'T see is the shared folders all the other computers have in this new desktop.

My second problem is with my wireless connection. Everytime i startup my computer and login, i get the usual yada yada with the wireless connection, saying it's connected and such. But a few minutes of using the computer later, on the taskbar, it shows a picture saying it is not connected. When i hover my cursor over it, it says it is not connected either. Yet i can use the internet and IM with the exception of MSN which doesn't seem to work. I double-click it and find 2 very weird things:

1. It says not connected in my SSID box.

2. But when i click it, it says if i double-click i will disconnect from the network, which also means I am connected to the network, yet I'm kinda not.

Can someone help me with this? Everytime i buy or get something new it always comes ready with faults. Even my old computer which my brother is using now works better when he's using it in his room. Technology hates me.... ;)

UPDATE: Also, i just noticed that everytime after awhile of the ugly X on the wireless connection it will disconnect itself and reconnect after i repair it, but repairing will always stop at "Connnecting to wireless network" even though i can use the internet. This is getting weirder....

Sounds like your wireless router is dead/dying. I know this post is two years old, but, what wireless router is it?

linux ubuntu

I'M UNABLE TO CONNECT TO MY ROUTER WHEN USING UBUNTU 7.10. WHEN I TRY TO CONNECT TO IT I LOSE ALL FUNCTIONALITY OF MY KEYBOARD AND STILL NOT ABLE CONNECT TO MY ROUTER WIRELESSLY. PLEASE HELP!

-mark

Either your WiFi card is whacked or the drivers are all wrong. Try recompiling your driver if open source, else reinstall.

xboxrulz

linux ubuntu

-mark

you can try reinstall your wireless driver.....

Since we are addressing this issue I will ad in a bit. Some wireless cards use thier own connectiing software beyond the Windows utility. My linksys, for example, has its own connection utility. Thusly it may connect to the internet with out the windows wireless icon showing anything. More often though the Linksys will state that it is connected to the access point but not the internet though the Windows icon shows full connectivity and I am able to access the internet. The morale of the story is that tyou may have more than than one utily doing the same thing and they may not report the same.

regarding serverUnable To Connect My Comp. To A Wireless Network

I ve windows 2003 server with internet connection of BSNL broadbandwith wifi router

I want to network setup using router and windows2003 server

internet and domin both are working properly so is it possible

Please reply me 

-question by Bhupendra

I have a wireless network at home.

2 computers are connecting to it but a Gateway laptop doesn't connect wirelessly. It connects only by cable

What can I do to connect it wirelessly too?

Gateway laptop wireless connectionUnable To Connect My Comp. To A Wireless Network

I have a wireless network home and 2 laptops can connect to internet wirelessly.

The Gateway laptop sees the network but doesn't connect to it wirelessly. It connects only by hard wire.

How can I fix this? 

-question by Ci B

<p>I have a wireless network at home.</p><p>2 computers are connecting to it but a Gateway laptop doesn't connect wirelessly. It connects only by cable</p>
<p>What can I do to connect it wirelessly too?</p>

You've bumped a 4 years old topic !

You realy have to give us a bit more information, we can't help you if you just say 'it doesn't work'.

Have you updated the drivers for you wireless card ? Any log messages in your router ?

Wireless network not connectingUnable To Connect My Comp. To A Wireless Network

hi,

iam facing one new problem in my office. We have installed dlink wireless dwa140 in one computer and connected to access point. But the pc is not connected with other computers in the network and not able to access internet too.. Other computers connected with same access point able to access internet and share files with other computers. Since the pc is newly installed, I suspect the problem with wireless connection but not able to find where exactly the problem?

-question by Sundar