xisto Community
Jackel

Using Same Serial # On Multiple Copies Of Windows

You guys are wrong about the new HDDUsing Same Serial # On Multiple Copies Of Windows

If you change your HardDrive there's an option for "I have made changes to my hardware" that will update the information Microsoft has, you can even use it when you install XP on a new machine as long as it's not an OEM version. I have 3 2000 Licenses, 11 XP (9 Pro / 2 Home, 4 OEMs), 2 ME, & I've changed the machine they're installed on, changed HDDs, Motherboards, RAM, & the only time I've had problems was once when I read the wrong line & entered an OEM key for a laptop on a desktop machine, when I did an reinstall with an Upgrade disk because it had SP3 on an OEM machine & tried to use the OEM key, in which case it wouldn't even accept it as a valid key & with one version of XP Pro that I used on a machine to test out tweaks & questionable software & got reinstalled probably 50+ times on at least 15 different machines (never more than 1 at a time) before I had to talk to a Microsoft rep for an hour to get it un-flagged as pirated.

Also, you can buy another product key from windows without buying another CD, You get the Key in an E-Mail, I've never done it myself, so I don't know if it's cheaper, but I imagine it's cheaper than a Retail purchase and more expensive than a volume license ( 10 License price Divided by 10, 5 License price divided by 5.

-reply by LostOnline

Registration NonsenseUsing Same Serial # On Multiple Copies Of Windows

It is a pity that no clear answer is available on the net on re-using a KEY in case you have to re-install the product (W7) on a second PC. What if, my first PC is broken?

Is there anyway to release a registered key so that we can re-use it on another PC? Millions of people are wasting time on this...Why don't Microsoft give a clear answer on this?

-reply by geenath

Re-use and re-useUsing Same Serial # On Multiple Copies Of Windows

I don't know why everyone is having problems with multiple installs of XP.  I've installed it on 4 different machines (all running at the same time) and used the same key for all 4 systems.  They're my computers, I built all but 1 (a laptop...Not that talented, yet. Lol), and I bought the software legally.  It's my belief that Microsoft is operating illegally when they try to make you buy multiple copies of the same software to install on different computers.  I can understand it if the systems aren't all yours, but if you own a desktop and a laptop and want to get rid of the crap that manufacturers install on them (if you bought the desktop pre-built, that is), then you should be able to do a complete wipe of both systems' hdds and complete fresh installs of XP on BOTH systems using the SAME key.  What I mean by crap is all the stupid advertisements for different programs that most people don't need or want.  You know...All the retarded 60-day trial BS.  I install what I want or need and ONLY what I want or need.  I also like to partition my drives into two or three, even four smaller drives.  That way if one partition fails from a virus or some such attack, most of my info will be safe and I can just wipe that partition and reinstall.  As far as using Linux goes, I hesitate doing that because I'm not sure about how well it supports all the new hardware that's out there. I.E., multi-core CPUs, DDR3 memory, overclocking capable MBs, high-end video cards, etc. Etc.  And for you crApple fans, you can keep your grossly over-priced pieces of ****.  Every time I hear some crApple fan raving about his glorified paperweight, it always brings to mind the old saying: "A fool and his money..."  Seriously...Why in the world would you pay $1300+ for a computer when you can get the same exact system (CPU, MB, Mem, HDD, Opt) running at the same exact speeds for less than HALF that cost?  It boggles the mind!  Oh well, it's your money.  Waste it however you like.  Speaking of which...I got clock/calculator, here, that I'm looking to get a couple hundred bucks out of.  Any crApple fans want it?  Don't pay any attention that you can get the same exact item at Walmart for less than $10...After all, you don't pay attention when buying a computer, do you? lmao

-reply by Whatever

Not trueUsing Same Serial # On Multiple Copies Of Windows

NOT TRUE,  The truth is  that the software will prompt you that there's been a significant change in your system and needs to activate again, but that happens regarless if the computer is connected to the internet or NOT.  Microsoft does not have a program that checks to see if it's one computer or many.  That would be spyware and they already had plenty of fire with the WGA validation on XP.  You don't see this prompted in the Service Packs of Vista and W 7, because of past issues with customers complainting.  But even with the WGA validation, once you use a valid certificate of authenticity you will be able to activate.  Once it is activated, you will be able to do updates and past any validation...Ah! and the microsoft key code system actually resets the amount of time you used a code, why?  Because what happened if you had to reinstall the operating system due to hd failure, virus, etc. And you wanted to reinstall, Microsoft would be inundated with complaints about the software.  

True you shouldn't use illegal copies, but the copy of the o/s is really worthless, what is important is the key code to be authentic.  

you can actually run a single copy on multiple machines, it's called piracy unless you purchase a Volume License... it's properly the best way (and maybe the only way legal) other than buying separate copies/serials for each machine....i do run a single copy of Microsoft Windows XP Professional on two machines at home, i think (in my point of view) because my Laptop came with a Home edition, i decided to fresh install my Desktop copy on to it... so in other words it's two machines of mine (used by me alone) which for me should be fine, it's just like using a single machine

it's two machines of mine (used by me alone) which for me should be fine, it's just like using a single machine

Nope, it's not a single machine, it's two machines.The Microsoft licensing policy is one separate license for each physical machine.
The only way of legally use a single license with two machines is removing the OS from the first system (format C: /s for instance) and install it on the second one.
You are not using a single machine because you simply boot the second one without installing it, so your license is on two diffrerent machines.

I heard it is possible to run more than one computers on the same serial of Windows. I also heard that it can be registered and use all the functions of any legal copy of Windows. Lets say I have 4 computers in my house and don't want to pay $800 for windows on each one if I build them all myself. I can just put same serial on all of them. But I heard this is also breaking the EULA agreement with Microsoft which redeems this being illegal or improper use of windows. I would like to hear your sides on this, or the whole truth behind this. If so does this mean somebody can just go to Bestbuy or Circuit City and look on the side of a computer for sale and write down the serial key on the side sticker? Can you be arrested for this use of serials? Will Vista have more security against this type of thing? Dont worry, im not doing this. Just want some opinions on this matter.

I have a asus netbook with winxp home, and I've been using a oem copy of xp home in severall pc using the same key of the netbook and believe it or not I sucessevily activated all of them, I just never registered the copy not even the legal one on the asus...

I have a asus netbook with winxp home, and I've been using a oem copy of xp home in severall pc using the same key of the netbook and believe it or not I sucessevily activated all of them, I just never registered the copy not even the legal one on the asus...

this is called piracy and it is illegal from Microsoft's point of view