xisto Community
Omkar™

Windows XP Logon Script

That's why Microsoft got Service Packs  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Microsoft Windows XP logon script has (had) a fatal bug in it-

When you see the new (funky) Windows XP Logon screen, it shows all the available users.

1. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del twice so that the formal (earlier Windows) logon dialog box pops up.

2. Then, select Administrator as the username and enter Any password greater than 32 chracters in the password field.

3. Windows will give you a buffer overflow error. Click OK or Cancel and you're looged-in as administrator!!!

Well, this exploit was corrected my Microsoft in SP1 and SP2. Three cheers!

-Omkar Ekbote

P.S.:Would anyone have the original copy of Windows XP without the Service Packs and really try this out?

Belive me, Microsoft never learn of or admit thier mistakes, they will say that it's the user mistake always, but you know, i really think they are right, it's the user mistake to pay for a platform that causes him a lot of errors and troubles :D

lol, rightly said XIII, I too believe your theory. It's the user's ignorance that provides Microsoft with money. If people don't have the ignorance that they do now, I don't think Microsoft is still standing where they are now.xboxrulz

Sounds like an urban legend... I can't believe even Microsoft could make a screw up like this. But what comes to Vista... Well they've talked about paying attention to security with it but that doesn't mean that it won't still leak. And even if there isn't as much security issues as WinXP, there will be error no doubt and for sure you'll be getting your service packs. It remains interesting too how much the service packs mess up this time :P

I agree with XIII, microsoft will never admit this kind of security issues if they can. Anyway they may be working harder in security for Windows Vista.In some way Windows has so many security leaks becouse there are many people trying to find them out. If nobody tryes to find bugs they will never be known...

Belive me, Microsoft never learn of or admit thier mistakes, they will say that it's the user mistake always, but you know, i really think they are right, it's the user mistake to pay for a platform that causes him a lot of errors and troubles :P

You are right dude! :P

I like to share one joke related to this Microsoft, with u all!

Its not a simple joke.. some facts behind that! :P

Read below:

A helicopter was flying around above Seattle when an electrical malfunction disabled all of the aircraft's electronic

navigation and communications equipment.

Due to the clouds and haze, the pilot could not determine the helicopter's position. The pilot saw a tall building,

flew toward it, circled, and held up a handwritten sign that said "WHERE AM I?" in large letters.

People in the tall building quickly responded to the aircraft, drew a large sign, and held it in a building window.

Their sign said "YOU ARE IN A HELICOPTER."

The pilot smiled, waved, looked at his map, determined the course to steer to SEATAC airport, and landed safely. After

they were on the ground, the copilot asked the pilot how he had done it.

"I knew it had to be the Microsoft Building, because they gave me a technically correct but completely useless answer !!!!"

Notice from WeaponX:
Niru, since this is not your original words, please quote them. There are lots of references to this in other sites as well...

:P

Edited by WeaponX (see edit history)

LLLLOOOOLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thats the most sense iv heard today,is it alright if i steal that joke cus its the funnyzorz!Where u find it?

nice joke Niru ;) A little note for the people at the technical support of Microsoft:1) It's always the users fault2) If there is an unexplainable error... look at number 13) If there is an (fatal) bug in the system... the user probable did something wrong (remember point 1?)4) If we DO make a patch... we make it in a way that an other problem will arise (so it will look like the user made a mistake) ;)

Edited by Netwalker (see edit history)

I've never heard of this exploit before.But it is really very bad to hear that a company with huge reputation and user base being so careless.First they should learn to accept their faults and then provide proper solutions and never repaet the same thing again.I wonder how many bugs are gonna be found in Vista.

problem

Windows XP Logon Script

Description:

My desktop appears only after I press ctrl+alt+del and file new task and then explorer.

Can anyone help me in solving this problem.

Thanks

-reply by YOGESH

to igusesWindows XP Logon Script

also that topic is not about your question

it may related to your registry  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionWinlogon  entery  and shell value in registry it originally is explorer.Exe.

but its better for you change that to  c:windowsexplorer.Exe note that c:windows is your windows directory .

I think your system may effected by virus . 

-reply by stranger