xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
nightfox1405241487

Help! What Are The Signs Of A Bad Graphics Card?

My linux box's graphics card must be going... the thing will randomly reboot (even during boot-up) and the picture on the monitor is all screwed up... Sometimes the picture will be perfectly normal too... is it overheating or going bad?Thanks![N]F

sounds like over heating to me. I know I've had lots of issues that follow that pattern, often its fine but then the image goes funky and then goes blank or reboots. Try running it with the case open/off and see if that helps or get some temp monitoring stuff.

sounds like over heating to me. I know I've had lots of issues that follow that pattern, often its fine but then the image goes funky and then goes blank or reboots. Try running it with the case open/off and see if that helps or get some temp monitoring stuff.

Ok... it has an onboard fan (which I can't remove) so I'll try to clean it and see if it actually turns... there's no easy way to get it off of the card itself.

Ok, I seem to have got it working (case off) and now it is giving me "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"....

sometimes I wonder why I ever am persuing the career of computer tech...

[N]F

You sure you didn't knock anything out when you removed the case? I'd check if everything is in properly, jumpers are set correctly etc..If it still happens i reckon probably the hard drive is gone or the ide/sata connectors on the motherboard are faulty.Again, go through all the connections to make sure. That is the most likely problem-HellFire

I remember the time when my graphics card when I was playing a graphics intensive game. The area where my graphics card would be would be really hot and it will automatically shut down my laptop. Like it was a emergency shut down. What I did to remedy the problem was I blew the dust build up out of the graphics fan with a air can. And it somewhat helped the problem. But I eventually had to replace it because it was out of commision. Rule number 1 of playing graphiclly intesive game with a weak graphics card, make sure you give your computer a good "break time" because over use might damage it.

I have graphics card with passive cooler on it, but the first thing I do, was to install an active cooler fan on it, and plug it on free port on motherboard. So, now I've overclocked it, and it works fine, for almost a 1 year now.

Disk Boot failure could imply the problem lies elsewhere. As mentioned make sure you didn't bump anything out of place when opening it up (make sure the HD's are properly plugged in, to be precise) and made sure everything else is properly plugged in.

Disk Boot failure could imply the problem lies elsewhere. As mentioned make sure you didn't bump anything out of place when opening it up (make sure the HD's are properly plugged in, to be precise) and made sure everything else is properly plugged in.

nope didn't touch anything... oh well... it isn't going to kill me to re-install the OS.

Ok, well I left the machine on all night and all day with the case off and the card didn't overheat. Now I just have to figure out why... my room has been 80 degrees F. and it was operating smoothly.

[N]F

Ok, I switched all the parts into a better case and it has been running smoothly since. This case allows more air to come in and cool the parts. I'm still confused of why it would overheat... yesterday, my room was 83 degrees and it was operating just fine...[N]F

Could my Graphics card be bad?Help! What Are The Signs Of A Bad Graphics Card?

Hello,

My computer  monitor is getting blocky and them rebooting. The screen shuts down then comes back on with the window I had open but the window freezes and no mouse cursor for about 15 sec. Then ot does it again. My card is a few years old - FX 5500 Nvidia with a fan build in on the card, I've noticed a few days ago the fan got a few DBs louder.

Any answers will help,

Thank You,

Troy

-question by Troy

graphics problemHelp! What Are The Signs Of A Bad Graphics Card?

hi.I have nvidia9400gt some times it works good but sometimes its work very bad.I'm doing animation so ihave problem in maya.And in games also.Maya is flicking and in graphics was poor and pc was hang.So help me.

-question by gaurav

hey when I put my graphics card in it works ok. Then it starts makin weird colors all over the screen. And it uninstalls its self when it does it?

-reply by stevie

Can I have some help fixing my computer?Help! What Are The Signs Of A Bad Graphics Card?

My screen just decided to get all screwed up, the image I mean not the actual monitor screen. I checked the inside of the case and everything seemed mostly fine, but like someone else mentioned before it seems to boot-up and then reboot while in the middle of booting-up and when it doesn't do that the image on the screen is distorted in so many ways it would be too hard to fully explain. From reading this forum I get it might be the video card, though like another person before me it did at one point said something about a disk error. I checked inside the case to see if I could spot anything wron, but didn't it. I need some tips, I could try reformat and have it reinstall any possible missing drivers/devices but I kind of want to se if it can be fixed without resorting to that. Tip appreciated. 

make sure that you have a case fan or more than one to make sure that the system gets the required cooling that it needs otherwise you will end up during games getting that random restart. i remember when i bought my 9600gt the case got hot enough to fry bakcon on it, that kept the flies away during gaming anyway. when i then installe dthe case fan it runs cools the case doesn't teach the flies a lesson anymore so i bought a bug zapper. that also greatly improved the performance in games like grand theft auto 4 and crysis. i m talking about grand theft auto 4 a few updates back when it was holier than the pope. so make sure that you check if you have a case fan. also if you do have a case fan check where it is, if its at the bottom make sure it is injecting air into your system. but if it is at the top then make sure that it is exhaling the air from your system. because as you should know heat rises and usually having one fan at the top is more effective than one at the bottom because as the hot air is kicked out of your case the cold air has a natural tendicy to be invited to the party, then when that air gets drunk and angry its kicked out and thats the important thing about a case fan it does so many things for you computer at such a little cost.

Graphics Card Issue??Help! What Are The Signs Of A Bad Graphics Card?

First of all, I am not using multiple screens on this laptop, and this question is not associated with using multiple screens, or the desire to use multiple screens.

When my laptop boots up, the screen is divided into about 6 mini screens all showing the same information. When the user screen appeared (XP Home), the monitor returned to a single screen filling the whole monitor, as it should. This started a couple of days ago. Today, the problem extended to when Windows XP come up now.

Instead of one screen that is legible, I have about six versions of the same screen on one screen that I can't make sense of because the images are so small.

Does this make sense? Does anyone have any idea what might cause this?

Bryce