xisto Community
html_man

Firefox Or IE (New Version): Which One Is Better? Which one is better?

Firefox or IE?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I voted Firefox.Now don't get me wrong, I give IE all the benefits of any browser, including Opera, Safari, Amaya, Konqueror, Epiphany, Galeon, etc, because I develop and design web applications.However, IE's lack of improvements and lack of doing anything standards related is annoying me because IE is the mainstream browser, not because people choose to use it but because it's forced upon the user with any Windows operating system, I'm quite annoyed that the courts actually allowed this and didn't see it as a monopoly because when we had browser wars you wouldn't believe how fast IE acted to make sure they completed CSS1 standards and winning the war, now it seems like they're constantly on vacation, releasing a new version every 5+ years with nothing that helps companies or web designers take advantage of newer technology.IE is playing catch up, because they are so far behind it's not funny at all.For someone like Microsoft, I can not imagine why their development for IE is slow. Is it because there is so many problems they have with it that they don't allow time for implementing new web technology due to fixing these problems. I'm not going to blame this on the fact that IE development is outsourced, but maybe that's why?Now I know IE7 addressed a lot of the known issues but mostly towards CSS, they didn't bother with much in the way of Javascript problems they had and it's known that IE does not support application/xhtml+xml; correctly nor will they until a new version release, how can you make use of XHTML if the proper mime-type isn't supported.What I don't understand is, why we have to wait for new version releases, I know that new version releases usually means API changes and improvements, but I have little to believe that improvements were made.As for people saying it's safer and less buggy, how can you back up those claims? I can clearly back up those claims that IE is not safer, by my work as a computer technician. I have made my visits less frequent to clients who use to every week catch something through IE because of their browsing habits (you should know what I'm talking about), so I showed them Firefox (and believe me these people aren't computer savvy) and they were fine using it (it did not change their browsing habit, but it kept them safe), and I had less callouts to them. In a sense it was bad for me, because I was given less business to them, but they are loyal clients and will always call me when they have problems.I would really love to see a change log of everything from IE6 to IE7 and compare it with a change log from Firefox 1 to 1.5.3.Cheers,MC

Since there's no point in repeating what all others have already said, I think the most BASIC reason for IE not being better than Firefox is: IE 7 is currently in BETA development mode. Firefox is a complete package, now also supporting extensions and loads of other stuff. So, basically, I never opt for BETA Software, the complete edition is good enough!

-Omkar Ekbote

Definitely Firefox. It's still far more stable and secure than internet explorer ever will be. Plus the new internet explorer is just a rip off of Firefox. Funny how now they have just introduced tabs and stuff right after firefox has started stealing their thunder.Long live firefox!

I've been betatesting for Microsoft, and try the IE and on many aspects it is a very nice improvement.But, as always, Firefox has that little edge for me over other browsers in something not the devs supply us with but the community. Extensions. Still, I think the new IE is a great step forward in order to prevent people from 'fleeing' to other browsers.

I use both Firefox and Internet Explorer but Firefox gets my vote because it's fast,open-source and free.The only down side to Firefox is that not all codes work in there.

Edited by Aisha (see edit history)

The only down side to Firefox is that not all codes work in there.

I wouldn't agree on this one. It's Internet Explorer that always misinterprets the code. You really can't say that IE's code understanding is good, because it isn't. For example (not a real problem, just an pointer), you write a CSS file defining a certain border as 2px dashed. And you expect to see a dahsed line. But no - in IE you get a solid line, that is quite probable to be thicker/thinner. Guess that says everything about what I think of IE.

Bring back the browser wars!It may have been messy but at least there was competition and going head to head and seeing who was the first to do such and such.Cheers,MC

...guys that this is the best thing next to popcorn!

Keep away spyware and trojans with Win Anti Spyware!

If you're also wondering about how to maintain an error-free PC and achieve 100% system performance, try System Doctor!

2Admin: Sorry if the message doesn't suit your forum. Kindly ask to move it to an appropriate section. Thank you ;-)

Notice from miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG:
Referral Links REMOVED.

Here is something every one has to see, its in favour of Micorosft Internet Explorer. View this site using both Micorosft Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox. Now hover over the sentence "PLEASE VISIT OUR FORUMS FOR THE LATEST HAPPENINGS". See the diffrence and tell what do you feel about Mozilla Firefox. Click here to view the site I am talking about....
I feel Mozilla Firefox is sick, it cant even execute descent JavaScripts, where Micorosft Internet Explorer fully supports every kind of script. Also one more thing, Micorosft Internet Explorer can dispaly FTP folders whereas Mozilla Firefox cant (I tried using Mozilla Firefox to open Tripod FTP and it does'nt open, I dont' know about other hosting companies).

The only reason I think that Mozilla Firefox became so popular is that its FREE with most of the descent features and ofcourse with the search engine giant, Google. And goole was'nt there I dont think it would have ever enterd the competition. In that point-of-view, Micorosft Internet Explorer sucks as it is'nt for free. And those Micro$oft as*h**** have the stupid operating system authentication procedures to prove that your operating system is'nt a fake one, even for Micorosft Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2. What the heck...I wonder if the want to really test the browser or is it another way to get rid of piracy.

Hey ganeshn11,

I seriously don't see any difference. What type of difference are you talking about?

xboxrulz

Firefox has so many extensions and is so much easier to use, i dont think IE will ever catch upand after all the security holes IE6 had, im sure the new IE will fix all of those and create twice as much new security holes

After changing from IE to Firefox a few years agoand so far, I havent looked back. The Tabs, countless extensions and most importantly SECURITY!!! Mozilla Corp has made a beauty here! Even since Firefox was first launced, Microsoft has been trying to keep up.Now Microsoft has launced their IE7 browser. Now with all the same features as Firefox. But will it ever be the same as Firefox?? Firefox has a huge fan base, thousands apon thousands of extensions and a great track record. What does Microsoft have? Thousands apon thousands of Security leaks and flaws plus more.But you here me say, Firefox does have its problems. Not all sites are compatable with Firefox and not everyone wants to use it after using IE for so long! It is only going to be a matter of time before Firefox becomes a more popular browser (if it isn't already) and not long before web designers make all their websites "Firefox Ready".Myself, i have tried the new IE7 and have to say, its getting better. But since changing to Firefox, i dont think I will be changing back!

If you are one of the people that have 256 RAM, you would probably choose IE (like me :unsure:) IE is so much faster in loading and a bit faster in downloading.
So my list goes

1. Internet Explorer
2. Opera
3. FireFox

i differe from that since i am a 256mb memry user and with 64mb shared to video leaving me less than 200MB memory. i can load 30+ tabs in my firefox if no run time java applet, flash or shockwave is present in the tab pages.

plus i am using 7 plugins and 10 extensions to my browser..

--

the new IE beta 7 just crashed on 11 tab panes.. IE 6 with the patch and plugin that gives it with tab panes wont render some pages and keep on going to msn search.. you have encountered having a webpage at your localhost served at 127.0.0.0 ended up being search in msn..

in firefox, those never happen.. no matter how clogged up the memory is due to leaky and buggy plugins/extensions, firefox is still intellegent enough not to search you localhost pages in google.

I test IE7 and think that it is great .
But Firefox wont load half the sites I like :D

sure it will.. with IE tabs it can load all websites..

---

if stuffs wont work on firefox, most of the time it wont load in netscape and opera also..

--
IE have this great problem of running flawed scripts and having a "personalized"
interpration of CSS and scripts..

making it a hellish for web programmers to use new technology from the net standard
into IE..

NOTE: i hope this will snap into my previous post.. when i replied with less than 3 mins after posting an entry.. things snap back in.. cant check this tough since i am signing off now.. cheers..

i will edit this later if this turn into a double post..

IMO Firefox is better.I was a huge IE fan boy until I decided to turn to the darkside.I luv the tabs & and extentions/plugins.I'm use to using FF now and probably won't change back to IE no matter what fancy bells ands whistles they add.I hated when I set google as my homepage it would change it back to MSN without any notice.And I've found that I've had so many less attacks from trojans and other types of threats and viruses.