xisto Community
XIII

Where To Find Notepad++ For Linux ?

Just been looking at the screenshots for Notepad++ and there's really nothing impressive seen from the screenshots, so I take it, it must be the features it has?
I would say Quanta Plus and Bluefish would probably be editors that come close to Notepad++, so there maybe no need to actually port Notepad++ over to Linux.

why notepad++ more than bluefish / Quanta ?
- vertical selection inexistant under Bluefish / Quanta do it ok
- xml reindentation not found under Bluefish (I mean the 'pretty print' function [via plugin under notepad++]) - I'm perhaps wrong on it about Quanta, there is the 'format XML code' feature, but I didn't understood it...
- tidy function not found under Bluefish [via plugin under notepad++] - Ok under Quanta
- [syntax coloration isn't really good in Bluefish (it doesn't recognize <? as <?php for my instant try) but I've seen this part under dev] - quanta Ok on it
- search through all opened files - even quanta (that appears to be a stronger tool than Bluefish) don't do it
- search through a directory with a file pattern - even quanta don't do it
- different files formats win/unix/mac ; also not found into Bluefish - quanta Ok
- file modification detection with alerts - quanta Ok (and better than jedit that don't give any choice on action !!!
- muti-view (paned views) - even quanta don't do it

Seriously people learn to use Vi(m). At least the basics. You might find yourself in sitation where its the only alternative.

I'm far away of the one who wants to kill vi, but under windows at least you can drag your text using the default editor...

I'm personally switching between jedit(too slow), gedit(too simple but always ready) and Bluefish / Quanta since few minutes.
I hope finding an improved, quick, simply rendered and easy to use text editor as notepad++ for linux.

And I'm sorry if I said wrong things about Bluefish and Quanta there, correct me then !
Edited by jobano (see edit history)

Ok, here why I want to use Notepad++ and not Bluefish of other APP like that full of useless options:

My needs are SIMPLE:
- I want a fully customisable syntaxic coloration, and that I can also change manually (some of my files are inside PHP files, but should not be coloured as PHP files)
- When I place the cursor on a { or a (, I want to be able to see the closing one. (Dynamic coloration)
- Sometime I misstype ALT+SPACE, and that create unbreaking space, that cause PHP error, so I want an option to display every character (a tab is displayed (TAB) or something like this)

I've tried ALL the editor that you mentionned in this topic, Blue fish was the one that come close to notepad++, but it doesn't do the point #2 that I want.

So before *****ing an application that you never used, try it... Screenshot display nothing usefull.

Check out this:
https://notepad-plus-plus.org/

Ps.: Sorry for my english.

Hooo !That would be soo cool !Hope you will be able to, because I'm tired of Bluefish and the need to press F5 all the time to refresh the syntaxical coloration.Also it's impossible to change the key bahavior to have TAB that can do that same as CTRL+. or ,Really, there is 2 things that I miss from windows under linux:Notepad++FlashFXPI've tried many many applications, but none of them give me full satisfaction yet :PWell, keep us informed about your progress (and I'm sure that if you contact the Notepad++ creator, he will be happy to assist you)

I just downloaded notepad++ for windows. ill install it in a minute.but, y dont you just use wine? wine crashes on me alot :P but still...or just use one of the linux editors...

Yeah, Kate seems good, I'm under Gnome, that's why I didn't tried it yet.I've tried it 5 minutes: seem's good, BUT:- The programe "drawing" is slow, if I resize the window, it take like 1 big second to refresh the application display.- It's impossible to view all the character (Activate or not this mode)- There is dynamic highlight for ( and { BUT no highlight that give the possibility to view if the alignement is ok (Can be usefull in some cases)^^ Only 5 minutes, well, it's a really good apps, the interface is light and great, BUT, it's not identical to Notepad++ :P (But if I could solve the problem with drawing, I would use Kate instead of BlueFish for sure.)============= French =============Ouais, Kate à l'air bien, je suis sous Gnome, c'est pour ca que je ne l'avais pas encore testé.Je l'ai essayé que 5 minutes, ca semble très bien comme prog, MAIS:- Le rafraichissement de l'interface est vraiment lent (plus de 1 secondes souvent), c'est incroyablement pénible.- Il est impossible d'afficher tous les caractère (espaces insécables, retour de ligne Cr & Lf, etc.)- Il y a une coloration syntaxique dynamique pour les ( et {, MAIS, pas de coloration sur l'indentation qui permette de voir si une accolade fermante est bien alignée avec une ouvrante par exemple. (C'est parfois pratique lors de bug d'accolade)^^ Seulement testé 5 minutes, et franchement, c'est bien, l'interface est légère et sobre, j'adore, MAIS, c'est pas identique à NotePad++, alors forcément, il y a des différences. (Pour le moment aucune qui me fasse persister sur Notepad++, excepter la lenteur d'affichage, mais ca c'est carément anormal)

And I don't want to use wine because the display is weird, I've currently NotePad++ installed with wine and I don't use it because the font is totally uncool.

Notepad++ is actually pretty good. i installed it (on windows though) and its fast and can do lots of languages.ill probably never use it much but its there and will be helpful when i need it (ill probably start using it instead of notepad, its colour coded).

Yeah, Kate seems good, I'm under Gnome, that's why I didn't tried it yet.
I've tried it 5 minutes: seem's good, BUT:
- The programe "drawing" is slow, if I resize the window, it take like 1 big second to refresh the application display.
- It's impossible to view all the character (Activate or not this mode)
- There is dynamic highlight for ( and { BUT no highlight that give the possibility to view if the alignement is ok (Can be usefull in some cases)

^^ Only 5 minutes, well, it's a really good apps, the interface is light and great, BUT, it's not identical to Notepad++ :P (But if I could solve the problem with drawing, I would use Kate instead of BlueFish for sure.)
============= French =============

Ouais, Kate Ă  l'air bien, je suis sous Gnome, c'est pour ca que je ne l'avais pas encore testĂŠ.

Je l'ai essayÊ que 5 minutes, ca semble très bien comme prog, MAIS:
- Le rafraichissement de l'interface est vraiment lent (plus de 1 secondes souvent), c'est incroyablement pĂŠnible.
- Il est impossible d'afficher tous les caractère (espaces insÊcables, retour de ligne Cr & Lf, etc.)
- Il y a une coloration syntaxique dynamique pour les ( et {, MAIS, pas de coloration sur l'indentation qui permette de voir si une accolade fermante est bien alignĂŠe avec une ouvrante par exemple. (C'est parfois pratique lors de bug d'accolade)

^^ Seulement testÊ 5 minutes, et franchement, c'est bien, l'interface est lÊgère et sobre, j'adore, MAIS, c'est pas identique à NotePad++, alors forcÊment, il y a des diffÊrences. (Pour le moment aucune qui me fasse persister sur Notepad++, excepter la lenteur d'affichage, mais ca c'est carÊment anormal)

Bienvenue a Xisto FMaz!

J'ai compris en francais en peu. :P

-------------------------------------------

Anyways, back to English. Kate is great, but KDE applications should run very fast since the QT engine is faster than the GTK engine. I think you're just low on RAM to load both engines.

xboxrulz

Notepad++ has tons of handy tools (like an entire menu full of replace tools), and unlike other editors, it's all clear and easy to use and reach. It's based on the Scintilla editing engine, but it's a much more complete and polished than, say, Scite, and yet it feels so light and quick!Oh, and you can place two documents next to each other and even link the scrollbars (which sounds pretty useless, but to me it has proven very handy several times already!).Bluefish and the likes are nice, too. And other Scintilla-based editors are usually even lighter and faster. And vim is extremely handy if you can remember all the commands (I've used it from time to time and there have been times that I was faster at selecting/cutting/pasting/etc. large pieces of text with the keyboard than with the mouse!).But still... Notepad++ somehow feel very familiar, and comfortable every time you use it. And I just don't know why.-a-non-e-moose

You can try scite notepad++ is based on win32api,maybe couldn't find in linuxscite is also a good edit, it is free, and has linux and windows version

I know how to use VIM, and I used to be a vim nazi too. However, people need to move on VIM was created 30 years ago. There are things out there now that speed up development such as an IDE or various text editors that fully make use of gui and mouse. Some would say to only use emacs as well, I agree that VI and EMACS are great. But, this doesn't mean they are the best for everyone and every project. The right tool for the right job. VI is great for editing a small number of files, I find it a bit annoying when I'm going through a massive application that has 400+ source files though... same with emacs....-steveZ1337