xisto Community

Yeah, I think Jeigh was right, he turned off all the light in the world and everyone died because of that?I've got one, but it's not really a calculation problem:How many animals of each gender did Moses take on the Ark?

Here's the solution to my puzzle.

Puzzle 1

Let Grandma be X years old and Dad be Y yrs old.

Since, Grandma is 45 years older than dad, we can write X = Y + 45

Now let us assume that the two digits in their ages be a and b.

So, Grandma's age can be written as X=10a + b.

Similarly Dad's age can be written as Y=10b + a

where a and b, being prime numbers belong to the set { 2, 3, 5, 7 }

Putting the above values of X and Y in the equation X = Y + 45 we get,

10a + b = 10b + a + 45

=> 9a - 9b = 45

=> 9 (a - b) = 45

=> a - b = 5

From this we can easily see that the difference between the two prime numbers is 5, which leads us to the only possible answer that a (being greater of the two) = 7 and b = 2

Therefore Grandma's age X = 10a + b = (10 x 7) + 2 = 72

And just for the record, Dad's age Y = 10b + a = (10 x 2) + 7 = 27 which is 45 years less than grandma's

Wonder how old Trickle is?

Puzzle 2

There are 3 possibilities : Dimwit (the gold guard) is telling the truth and the others not, Thickplank (the silver guard) is telling the truth while the others are lying or Beefbrain (the bronze guard) is telling the truth.

Case 1 : Dimwit is telling the truth

In this case number of Silver coins = 3000 and number of Bronze coins = 5000 while the number of Gold coins could be either 3000 or 4000 based on who is telling the truth (Thickplank or Beefbrain).

Incase Thickplank is telling the truth about the number of gold coins.

Number of Gold coins = 3000

Therefore total no. of coins = 3000 + 3000 + 5000 = 11000 which does not match the actual amount, so this can't be true.

Incase Beefbrain is telling the truth about the number of gold coins.

Number of Gold coins = 4000

Therefore total no. of coins = 4000 + 3000 + 5000 = 12000 which is equal to the actual amount, so this is true.

hence no. of coins : Gold = 4000, Silver = 3000 and Bronze = 5000

For the sake of the puzzle :

Case 2 : Thickplank is telling the truth

In this case number of Gold coins = 3000 and number of Bronze coins = 5000 while the number of Silver coins can only be 3000 (answer of both Dimwit and Beefbrain)

Therefore total no. of coins = 3000 + 5000 + 3000 = 11000 which does not match the actual amount, so this can't be true.

Case 3 : Beefbrain is telling the truth

In this case number of Gold coins = 4000 and number of Silver coins = 3000 while the number of Bronze coins can only be 5000 (answer of both Dimwit and Thickplank)

Therefore total no. of coins = 4000 + 3000 + 5000 = 12000 which is equal to the actual amount, so this is true.

So in either of the two cases 1 and 3 we get the same result: Gold = 4000, Silver = 3000 and Bronze = 5000

Sorry, 'bout the size of the Reply, but I gotta maintain uniformity, Big Question, Big answer B)

Ok here's the solution to the bridge crossing Puzzle

Method 1

First Bono and Edge shall cross the bridge taking 2 mins, followed by Edge returning with the flashlight summing up the time to 4 mins. He'll then handover the flashlight to the tortoises (I mean Adam and Larry) and they'll cross the bridge in furhter 10 mins making the total 14. Now our speedster Bono shall return for Edge in 1 minute and then walk past the bridge along with him in additional 2 mins. Hence the total time = 2 mins + 2 mins + 10 mins + 1 min + 2 min= 17 Mins

Method 2

First Bono and Edge shall cross the bridge taking 2 mins, followed by Bono returning with the flashlight summing up the time to 3 mins. He'll then handover the flashlight to the tortoises (I mean Adam and Larry) and they'll cross the bridge in furhter 10 mins making the total 13. Now Edge shall return for Bono in 2 mins and then walk past the bridge along with him in additional 2 mins. Hence the total time = 2 mins + 1 mins + 10 mins + 2 min + 2 min= 17 Mins

You are correct about the lighthouse Jeigh.

Electric illumination in the form of carbon arc lamps was first employed at lighthouses at an early date, even while oil lamps were still in vogue. The first of these was at Dungeness, England, in 1862, followed by a number of others.

In the beginning of the 20th century Swedish inventor Gustav DahlĂŠn invented the AGA Lighthouse which effectively made lighthouse keepers obsolete. However, for many years lighthouses still had keepers, partly because lighthouse keepers could serve as a rescue service if necessary. Improvements in maritime navigation and safety such as GPS have led to the phasing out of non-automated lighthouses, with the last keepers removed in the 1990s. Today there are a few keeper-run lighthouses left in existence; the vast majority, however, have been fully automated.

mik's Question 1:

There is approximately 6,000,000,000 (6 billion) people on the planet Earth. If you multiply together the number of fingers (include thumbs) on the right hand of everyone, what number do you get?

mik's Question 2:

There was a group of people in a yacht. One of them tripped over the cooler and fell over-board. He had nothing to keep him afloat, and it took 30 minutes for anyone to realise that he had disappeared. He was onconsciencious. It was a further 2 hours before he was resqued.

Why didn't he drown?

[spoil]He managed to float by himself, despite the fact that he could not survive in a pool without holding onto something.[/spoil]

This question is such a payne in the but, I wonder if anyone can solve this. (And no cheating)

Extracted from http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/.

This quiz is supposed to have been written by Einstein :o. He said that 98% of the people in the world cannot solve the quiz. Could you be among the other 2%?

There are 5 houses, each is a different colour

In each house lives a person of a different nationality.

These 5 owners all drink a certain beverage, smoke a certain brand of cigar and keep a certain pet.

No owner has the same pet, smokes the same brand of cigar or drinks the same drink as another owner.

1: The Briton lives in a red house.

2: The Swede keeps dogs as pets

3: The Dane drinks tea

4: The green house is on the left of the white house (they are also next door to each other)

5: The green house owner drinks coffee

6: The person who smokes Pall Mall rears birds

7: The owner of the yellow house smokes Dunhill

8: The man living in the house right in the center drinks milk

9: The Norwegian lives in the first house

10: The man who smokes Blend lives next to the one who keeps cats

11: The man who keeps horses lives next to the man who smokes Dunhill

12: The owner who smokes Blue Master drinks beer

13: The German smokes Prince

14: The Norwegian lives next to the blue house

15: The man who smokes Blend has a neighbor who drinks water.

The question is: WHO KEEPS FISH?

Edited by turbopowerdmaxsteel (see edit history)

turbopowerdmaxsteel, you left off the question to the puzzle. The question is: Who keeps the fish?

Wow, this one took me a long time. But I finally got it after making numerous tables. The answer is :[spoil]German[/spoil]

If you're stuck, try making a table with the nationality or house number as the top row, and the other stuff as the... um, here's an example:

______| Norw | Briton | German | ...

Coffee| yes _|__ no __|__ no __|

Water |_ no _|__ yes__|__ no __|

This question came from one of the visitors on my site. Apparently, this is the exact query he did in google to find a solution to the problem. I doubt he was successful in his attempt, though.

Q) How will you get 2007 using 4, 5, 6, 7 only once using any arithmetic operation?

I can already hear the answers showering down the lobby. :blink:

What do you mean by "arithmetic" ? Do you mean "add", "substract", "multiply" and "divide" and nothing else ?Because I guess that operations like "the square of 7" are forbidden because this would mean 7 multiplied by 7, which uses 7 twice ?

What do you mean by "arithmetic" ? Do you mean "add", "substract", "multiply" and "divide" and nothing else ?Because I guess that operations like "the square of 7" are forbidden because this would mean 7 multiplied by 7, which uses 7 twice ?

As I mentioned before, the question came to me from the referer links to my blog. So, I am not sure whether the operations are limited to the atomic arithmetic operations or not. But, I don't think the atomic types are enough to solve this problem (4 * 5 * 6 * 7 can only reach upto 840). So, you should try Squares, cubes and other stuffs too.
Edited by turbopowerdmaxsteel (see edit history)