xisto Community
cinnamon1405241516

What Are The Alternatives To MySQL

Hi.i'm interested in alternatives to MySql combined with php.what database else can i use to create a webbased managment system with a lot of entries. maybe more than mysql can handle fast enough.it should be more powerful than mysql and should have nearly the same features.i hope there is a webbased administration program like phpmysqladminthanks for your help !greetingsc.

Edited by miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG (see edit history)

Why would you want that ? to answer your question, there is, they are not free, but why would you want that ?

The only free opensource alternative to MySQL - that I know of - is called PostGreSQL, which offers about the same range of features as MySQL plus some more. It can be freely downloaded at: https://www.hub.org/

Another good free + lightweight rdbms package is CloudScape from IBM - which allows you to embed the database in your application, creating a transparent data storage area, which you can utilize for developing applications of the likes phone/addressbooks, where the user won't have to create a separate database. However I'm not sure about how far it can be implemented for web-based appz.

thx miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG :Di never heard of PostGreSQL but i'll download and try. maybe i give some feedback after some tests.the ibm stuff sounds too confusing and as you said you aren't sure it would work good on web-based systems, i don't think i wanna use iti asked for an alternative because i think mysql isn't the best if you need a real big database

Cool :D give PGSQL a try and let me know.As for CloudScape - it belong to the family of embeddable databases. To clarify things a bit more - think about the AddressBook that accompanies Outlook Express or Outlook in itself. Where do you think it stores all your contacts and/or mails ??Think how easy and efficient it will be if you stored all that data in a database which can be manipulated by SQL, and yet the database remains invisible and as an integrated part of your application. It's simply there in the background - you don't need to setup anything - no servers, no config. Yet you have a fully functional SQL manipulable database powering your app. Think of the advantages - that's CloudScape :D No creating a separate file to save your data, no manual saves - lightning fast SQL based FULLTEXT searches, all thrown in together.

After I read the posts, I wanted to try PostgreSQL. I tried to download it, but all the mirror download links seem to be dead. Did anyone get it to work? If you do, can you post the link that you downloaded it from? Thanks.

database.datWhat Are The Alternatives To MySQL

You can also create a cool database.Dat file and store all your data there. You have to separate each value by a comma... For example

John, Doe, ACME, 323-938-0493

Then you can search this database with the grep command like so...

grep John *

will return all rows with the word "John"

-reply by Evin Weissenberg

You could try WebDNA: it is a great alternative to php+MySQL: faster, lighter and fun to use

Olivier

Hi.
i'm interested in alternatives to MySql combined with php.
what database else can i use to create a webbased managment system with a lot of entries. maybe more than mysql can handle fast enough.

it should be more powerful than mysql and should have nearly the same features.

i hope there is a webbased administration program like phpmysqladmin

thanks for your help !
greetings
c.

You could try WebDNA: it is a great alternative to php+MySQL: faster, lighter and fun to use
Olivier

Seems great. However, the syntax is very special, seems far-away from any other SQL database language.

Webdna looks like different thing in itself. I am not sure how many people will adopt it as an sql alternative. Besides it is not yet used in any popular online project. If there are any then i dont mind trying it in that case.Postgre sql and ms sql server are two alternatives to mysql. Postgre sql is free but ms sql has feature limited version version. So for php based projects i think postgres is enough for most of the needs.I used postgres and sqlite and i found them fair alternatives to mysql. Syntax and learning curve is not that steep. So worth trying and they are free.

By the way, do not forget Oracle as a valuable alternative.It's free for learning purposes, and for business purposes your boss will have to choose between a great professional database and a free one.

Yes. Oracle and sybase have commercial db and they have a quite popular userbase. Not to forget like mysql, oracle has more web searches on the web. I have also seen lot of error codes documented quite a lot by users and some suppor forums.The thing about oracle is that it is quite popular among java developers. I dont see many php developers using it and for them mysql and postgres are often the choice. In case of asp developers ms sql server is the choice.My personal opinion is postgres. It is available with most of the webhosts. I have hosting with another company that uses postgres. I didnt find much difference with wordpress or other scripts. So postgres suggestion from me.

Well i use flat file its unsure but i change the name with .php and add a password so now its totaly secure,(password with md5) .you can try it also.can add json also..(i dont know a lot about json cant help with it you, just usued for first time.)