xisto Community
tiancongxin

Which Linux Distribution Do You Use? choose the linux you like most

choose the linux you like most  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Whitch Linux distribution do you use?

1064333093[/snapback]

i use suse. i think its the best one. i used ubuntu, but i was very disappointed. ububntu is just terrible. the hardware support is so bad. suse puts ubuntu into shame. i recommend suse, because its right up there with redhat. and red had is the elite distro.

I'm not a Linux user at the moment. However, if or when I put Linux on my box, it'll probably be MEPIS. Or, I could just get a used IBM ThinkPad from a Linux geek I know for $350 to $400, with MEPIS preinstalled. :huh:

I've just installed Suse9.3 again on my other computer. I realy start to like it more and more :huh: .I've also had Redhat and Mandrake before, I liked Mandrake more than Redhat (but that's mainly because I prefer KDE above GNOME).I'm also going to try uBuntu, it's already downloaded, just need to burn it on a cd and install it, downside of uBuntu is GNOME.I know switching between GNOME and KDE is possible, but I choose the most supported X-system.

gagabepp :Well in major Home User Linux distributions only SuSe and Mandriva are commercial in nature. SuSe has open suse and Mandriva has a evaluation CD too. The commercial versions dont count for home users at all cause they dont provide any thing extra ...except for may be Linspire..from which i would suggest people stay away.

The commercial versions dont count for home users

Once upon a time, I needed to recompile my wifi adapter driver from the open-source version. Then, I needed the Linux-source rpm, which was only in the (partly) commercial version of Mandrake. I needed the CD 5, while only the first three CD's were on the free version.

i recommend suse, because its right up there with redhat. and red had is the elite distro.

Hed Rat, er, Red Hat is bad.

I wouldn't exactly call Red Hat or SuSE an "elite" distro whatsoever. I've installed SuSE and Red Hat several times in the past, and they just felt much too crippled. Now, Slackware, Debian, and Gentoo, those are more "elite" than any Red Hat/Fedora or SuSE distro that will ever release.

I disagree. Debian, an old timer, it needs to be revamped. It doesn't meet at least my standards because it's annoying, old, bad package manager, too much restrictions and it really pisses you off.Ubuntu/Kubuntu, a Debian-base distro, was very annoying. It is not expert friendly. The Debian configurators locked all of the settings and I can't change it for my liking. I can't even install the NVIDIA drivers properly, using the kernel's source. All Debian based distributions are as bad as Windows I think, too much restrictions and it's not even fast. SuSE is much better because it's very flexible. It can be for the "1337" user and for n00bs and Debian can't meet that standards.Gentoo is just a hassle. It's great for people who want to build their own Linux from bottom up, but that's not for me.Slackware, just like Debian, can't catch up in the competition against SuSE/Red Hat/Mandriva. It's not really adeptable.These are my opinion of course!xboxrulz

well, I've tried ubuntu, but erm, I didn't work at all, it gave errors on all my computers (and no, there's nothing wrong with the cd).I think I'll stay with Suse9.3PE, it wors great for my, everything works so I'm happy (but I must say that it isn't more stable than windows (I've already had 1 severe crash and amaroK (I know, it's not a part of the os as-is) keeps crashing and sometimes I get artifacts in the bootscreen (no overheat since it's a matrox millenium card)

xboxrulz-Actually, you have it completely backwards. Red Hat and SuSE are the GNU/Linux distros for Windows users. The distros I mentioned, are the GNU/Linux distros for UNIX users. Debian's package management system is the best that I have come across, period. RPM is absolutely HORRIBLE. Debian's system is great, unless you're scared of a command line. Next, do you REALLY think Slackware and Debian are actually competing with Hed Rat and SiSE? I'm sorry, (actually, I'm not sorry in the least) that you feel that the quality of a distro depends solely on how similar to Windows it is. And by the way, Ubuntu may be debian-based, but IT IS NOT DEBIAN. Ubuntu is for newcomers to GNU/Linux, l and is not meant to be configurable. Slackware is NOT meant for people who can't compile their own programs, or people who are scared of CLI, and it actually uses a pure, untainted Linux kernel. Hed Rat and SuSE are NOT designed for expert users. Debian is meant for expert users who like a bit more organized system than say, slack (but is the easiest to mold into whatever you want). See, that's the beauty of GNU/Linux. Different distros are meant for different purposes. But at least get your facts straight. (Debian is lightyears more expert-friendly than SuSE)And sorry, but "1337" really means either wannabe or one thousand thirty-seven, not elite.But enlighten me, kid. Amuse me, how is Debian and slackware OLD? Oh, let me guess...no graphical login? This has got to be good. Tell me why these are OLD? They keep developing and releasing the distros, don't they? You may not like these distros, but understand that it's not the fault of the distro, it's the fault of the SiSE user who secretly is still devoted to the MS way of doing things.I hope you've learned something about yourself now.

Used Gentoo for some time, about half a year, and now moved to openSuse, and it's pretty cool. I've got Slackware stuffed into my mobile mp3 player, and use it sometimes, mostly on "away missions" ( :) ) when the Windows are getting their downs and outs on somebody's computer - but I must admit, it's not my favourite distro.

the empty calorie, I love to use CLI, I use it on occasions like compilation or computer maintenace, or even system recovery. I'm not scared of the CLI whatsoever. I was already prepared with the CLI since I moved over to Linux. I was already using "CLI" in Windows.Debian as a old timer, (as in stable is still around kernel 2.4.x is quite ridiculous) needs to get refresh, needs to stop overriding people's settings, and allow people to open a new X server on command (Debian requires you to be root in order to do so, but that's annoying). Plus, the DEB package system annoys me. dpkg -i, where's remove? apt-get remove, that seem to work?I rather use RPM, it's simple and easy, never had a slight problem. Except sometimes the dependency drives me nuts, so I use apt-get for SuSE.This is entirely my opinionxboxrulz

Well let's see...I'm runnung Debian sarge, have been since mid 2005 and I've been running a 2.6 kernel the entire time. I honestly don't see too much validity in what you say. For the most part it seems like either something you took off of a google search, or, some of it is complete hogwash. Why don't you run Debian for a few months yourself and then see what you think. I doubt it will happen, you're too much of a SiSE.