xisto Community
tiancongxin

Which Linux Distribution Do You Use? choose the linux you like most

choose the linux you like most  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

MAybe someday you'll grow a pair, and actually stick with Linux-Linux, not WannabelikeWindows-Linux.

What do you mean by that?

Isn't that every distro? Just kill x-windows and whatnot...Personally I'd never want to use a CLI only idstro as my everyday OS. Seems pointless to only use one interface or the other when you can keep the best of both worls at your fingertips. Use the one with the most advantages in each given situation and avoid using them in their downfall areas.

the problem that I don't get the-empty-calorie is that why is he tackling me because I use KDE and not old skool software like TVWM, CDE and even MOTIF and all those things that most people don't use on their computer. Fine, kudos given to you saying you know CLI and use it frequently. I only use it for convenience when installing something. Linux: What Windows will NEVER BE. Windows: What other Operating Systems will surpass it.KDE's goal is not to make a Windows look-a-like, they do sometimes sidetrack and do that but the main reason is to make computing easier for the less educated.I choose SuSE because it's NOT a Windows look-a-like, if I wanted a Windows look-a-like or Windows-wannabe, I'll take Linspire instead.Even now, I step over the Linux boundary to discover BSD and other *NIX.I DON'T CARE ABOUT WINDOWS WANNABEs or whatever, AS LONG AS IT'S NOT WINDOWS AND IT'S NOT ACTING LIKE WINDOWS, THEN I'M FINE.The following distributions don't act/look like Windows:SuSEFedoraMandriva(K)UbuntuGentooThe following distributions do:LinspireXandrosArkArchAll that I said were purely my opinion.xboxrulz

It may be your opinion, but it's all accurate :) I mean sure, they all use the 'windowing' metaphore but that's about it. The file structures are different, the ideology is different, everything is its own version of what is already out there, or something completely new. Sure alot overlaps, but thats the software ideas not the actual OS or core code. Linux rocks, regardless of CLI or Windowing Env. QED

I have always liked Slackware, might be a bit more involved than other distros., but it has always proven extremely stable for me.

Yup, me too. Slackware was and still is my all time favorite distro. But, Gentoo is on a close second and it is my primary OS right now. Ever since I started using Gentoo, I've completely stopped going to Windows at all. Because the package management of Gentoo is the best I've ever seen. No dependency problems whatsoever :).

Gentoo doesn't have dependency problems. Slackware does. I've experienced dependency hell quite a number of times with Slackware as I've used it for nearly a year. I've always wanted to try out SuSE, but I've only got one system ;). Right now, I've got lots of important things in Gentoo, so I'm not going to try another distro any time soon B).

The best ever is Ubuntu, really has a good support for laptops, the last version breezy is the best.