xisto Community
GM-University

Phpbb Or Ipb? Which shall I pick?

Should I use PHPBB or IPB for my forums  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I personally think that the Invision Power Board is MUCH better than phpBB. Although phpBB is pretty nice, IPB has more features. A better administrative feature, better posting features and profile features.. etc. I don't know.. The newest version of phpBB looks really nice. But I'd have to go with IPB on this one.

both are boring.. but if i'd have to choose. phpBB cause it's simplest and easiest to use.

I suggest you look at each forums modifications if fun is what you want, the mods realy make it, by themselves both of them are bland and boring, but if you don't know how or don't want to install any mods then go with phpBB because it's easier and has better themes.

I like IPB, but its not that easy to customize, and you have to pay for it. if you choose PHPBB, it's open source, and also its so much easier to coustomize. One thing I like about IPB is it's Administator control panel

Ok, now the adivce I need has changed, here is how I stand, I will list the pros and cons of each software that I have thought of:

Software

Pros

Cons

-IPB

-Secure

-Won't develope anymore

-Good Mods

-Difficult Admin Panel

-Well developed searching and Moderation/Administration features

phpBB

-Simple and easy admin panel

Several Exploits and Bugs

-Open source, will develope quickly

Easily modified and programmed for

most people will go with the one that they are used to, I think. And I am used to phpbb.I have troubles when visiting IPB sites, a lot of times when I try to view a member profile or a link to a thread I will get an error message. I wanted to try something different so I recently installed SMF. It's alright. It's nothing fancy, but it's getting the job done.

I really think you should use phpBB, if you don't want to pay, then it is your only choice because invision 1.3 doesn't compare to phpBB 2.0.13. phpBB is also much more clean, easy, and straightforward, the IPB admin panel is very complicated and clustered.

Personally for me IPB, although it does seem to "cost" money to obtain legally. Although there are "free" versions of IPB.. ie InvisionFree, and InvisionPlus, although the former seems to have its search functions limited. InvisionPlus however still full search capabilities, although a more frustrating board address than what InvisionFree issues to board owners.

i would say ipb. I find it alot eaiser and more things can be done to it. I think it also looks alot better than phpbb. Sometimes the codes for ipb are a little complicated but you can get use to them when you do it alot.

I like IPB much better then PhpBB, but if you plan to use IPB 1.3 then your better off using PhpBB. There are numerous, well documented security flaws in IPB 1.3 that would make it very easy for even the most novice cracker to compromise your forums.

I know its not well known, but I'd check out SMF (Simple Machines Forum) if I were you. Its a great forum software that's 100% free and easy to use.

http://www.simplemachines.org/

Heh, I guess my last vote evened out the vote balance ;)Well, it's phpBB for me all the way - I used it to begin with because I couldn't afford IPB (pirated / old versions that come for free were out of question for me); and I have now come to relalize that I can tweak phpBB so that it does _exactly_ what I want, and I don't think I will be able to say the same of IPB.Besides, Olympus will be out soon, and it should give a lot of people a run for their money. Check out the phpBB community, it should help you decide :)