xisto Community
Yacoob

Is Norton The Best Anti-virus?

I would also support NOD32. I have been using it since an year and there have been no problem with it. Earlier I was using Norton and it really squeezed the hell out of my system resources. NOD on the other hand is very light on system resources. It has bagged many awards and in corporate world, it is considered to be much better than Norton.

I think Norton is rubbish. It doesn't detect everything, atleast not where spy-ware, ad-ware or similar is concerned. I'll tell you a scenario that happened to me.... Norton detected this spyware but couldn't delete it, even though it was updated. So in the end I serached for a tutorial on how to delete it. All it took was the modifying of a few registry keys and deleting a few files -- I didn't even have to run my computer in safe mode. In the end I was manually deleting all this junk for my computer while Norton did nothing. I'm much happier with my new anti-virus, Panda Platinum

I will take norton over McAfee anyday. For one I have NEVER EVER got McAffee to install on a windows based PC and not screw up everything else on the box. Norton may take up more resources, but doesn't tend to play havoc with the systems.But my ultimate anitvirus software is Mac OSX and I used to get virus scan through my .Mac account. Although I think they discontined that part of the service, however the virus scanner never caught anything. Spyware too isn't quite the issue as it is on the PC either.

i like panda anti virus, it doesnt cost much and it detects almost if not most viruses out there. the updates are fast and always constant, it uses alittle bit of system resources i think, but i still like it anyway

Norton is worst anti-virus, mainly because it uses most of the system resources than other anti-viruse and it actually isn't detecting all viruses. The second thing is that Norton is most popular so viruses/troyans are coded to buypass Norton or disable it. And the last thing: Norton mess up your registry will alot of reg keys and stuff that will remain there even when you uninstall Norton.

Edited by Drusek (see edit history)

i agree with Drusek on this Norton is the worst not only does it eat up resources but it interferes with installation of software and drivers. but most importantly it doesn't do a good job defeating viruses the point of anti virus is to prevent virus from getting on your computer in the first place Norton runs off signatures that by the time it recognizes the virus its already on the comp and all Norton can do is tell you about it and maybe block the program until you give it authorization to try to remove it. i have been using Norton from 1998-2005 mainly because it was the first anti virus i bought and partly because the stupid trials come with the computers i own. my worst experience with Norton was with Norton 2001 in which case it found a virus that had gotten though Norton's so called protection and was on my computer i told it to remove the virus and and that only aggravated it long story short it killed my bios computer was unusable Ive used many other anti virus programs since then and the best one Ive found so far is Panda it detects more viruses than Norton and has a rock solid firewall gets a little annoying at first but once you specify all the programs you want to have Internet access its not too bad and it doesn't slow down the computer as bad as Norton the version i have is Panda Titanium 2006 other features include anti spyware and (True prevent technology's) this is the main difference between panda and Norton :o

Edited by wolfwood72 (see edit history)

True norton doesn't catch everything and those little pop up's it sometimes show about behind the scenes programs that are running. But I rather take reliable software that you have to pay then anti-virus software that is for free that no one has heard about. But I only use norton for my major protection I got a few other programs that I run sometimes. I use Spybot and the new Windows Defender that I picked up a few weeks ago to get the spyware and adware that nortan doesn't pick up.But Also its good recommendation that you do clean out your registry and system files once an awhile for more effective performance, In which I recommend Advance System Optimizer its pretty good to fix the errors that are found especially on the registry where most of the slowdown happens.

For me i think Norton Products are not very good. I have had the experience of installing Norton Internet Security & Norton Ultilities on the same computer.The result of this was that the software took a 100% CPU load on startup and lags the computer until it can hardly be used. When i contact them they said that it is due to my CPU being unable to support the software.I can say it drains a lot of CPU and lags the com. It is also irritating when it starts blocking software installation. I always end up disabling the anti-virus so that i can smoothly install a file, Norton request scans for almost all cabinet files in the installer.But i would recommend the norton firewall. It is quite good in blocking off ads and also blocking of viruses on web pages.

My favourite antivirus is Kapersky. It detects more viruses than norton. Once, I tried installing all sorts of keyloggers on my computer. 15% were not detected by norton. 0% were not detected by Kapersky.

I cant really say that any antivirus is the best. I use Pc-Cillin myself and it works for me. I didn't feel comfortable with Norton so i dont use it. If Norton Antivirus works for you, then you should use it. As it has been said: Dont try to fix something which doesn't need to be fixed. If norton is keeping you safe and is not annoying, then you should stick with it!

Quick answer this one! NO!!! its got tobe the WORST AV product on the market..do not use this garbage people..again over the weekend I rescued a laptop well and truly shafted by Norton.I really cant understand why anyone would use this garbage!Also now virus writers are making virus to hit Norton alone because of the crappy way it works..or doesnt work to protect your systems.

Norton is the WORST antivirus program on the market. In most cases, norton makes things worse. The latest versions of norton essentially act like AOL spyware. Norton installs tons of extra crap all over the place. Norton is crappy enough so that viruses can hijack it and wreak even more hell on your computer.Do yourself a favor and get rid of it. AVG and Avast are much better than this crap

Well, I guess I wouldn't rate Norton the best anti-virus. But it would be pretty close to the top. The worst point of it has to be the resource hunger, which every one is talking 'bout. I'd tried most of the top tier anti-viruses in my days. Choosing them was almost like a shopping endeavour as I tried out the evaluation/free versions of them all. I found most of them to be heavy on the system. Norton, undisputedly topped that one while AVG was the most easy going one. I was really impressed by Panda Antivirus. It has a nice clean interface, detects a wide range of viruses and demands comparitively less resources.

All said and done, I haven't had a serious anti-virus for months now. I would go along with the risk factor, than compromise on speed. But for the occasional outbursts, I haven't had any issue with viruses. You may think, I don't do much, but listen to some music, watch videos and play ol' games on my PC. However, I try like 100 different softwares every month, download stuffs from various locations and heck what not. Although, I do install Norton every 2 months. But, it doesn't remain for more than 3 hours as I get rid of it as soon as the entire system is scanned.

Bottom Line: If you have a really high-end PC, go for the latest Norton Anti Virus, otherwise Panda Anti Virus should be more than just fine.