xisto Community
Shooting Star Haven

Ebay Sucks! ebay is for stupid people

I love ebay. I bought a pen drive at ebay, the shopping went smooth and in 1 week I had it. Also I love those coupon codes and discounts that ebay give to their customers. At India, ebay is cool! Before buying anything you have to besmart. You have to see the sellers ratings and much more about seller before you pay him.

I use e-bay to sell things It;s quite easy .Get a pic of the item list it in.Give a min time of 15 days to bid. You will get the real price in a day or two. Go to the super market . get that item from whichever place it is in discount. Send it over after you recieve payment via paypal. Its easy money.

Where is the Ebay alternative??Ebay Sucks!

Why isn't there an Ebay alternative?? They're making billions of dollars with a company that really only requires a 12X12 room and some servers. Aren't there any other programmers out there that want a piece of this action?? Ebay was nice in the beginning, but it's become a monopoly. It's great for buyers, yes, but for sellers, especially the smaller ones, it's a nightmare. I find it hard to believe that someone hasn't come forth with a competitive auction site. The biggest problem I see with the current alternatives is no listing fees, which is necessary to weed out the overpriced trash that most of these sites mainly offer. I'm a huge seller on ebay, but my fees are in the $200-$300 range every month, not counting the paypal fees I pay. I tried to sell a microphone last week that I purchased a while back on ebay, only to have it cancelled on top of being told if I sell another "counterfeit" item like that I will be suspended. I had no idea it wasn't original!! I still don't! I contacted the company who makes it and the woman I spoke with said she wouldn't tell me how they knew it was counterfeit, it just was. I was so pissed I slammed my keyboard and smashed it into a thousand pieces! Had I just listed it like the hundred others on there for sale now that are most likely "counterfeit" as well I wouldn't have had a problem, but I had no idea it was! Now one more "mistake" like this will get me suspended and most likely cost me my business, with no alternative site to sell on. I considered starting my own auction site, but I'm terrified of ebay's lawyers coming after me for something like copying the script they use to turn pages or something idiotic like that. I could give 100 similar horror stories I've had to deal with, but I'm as terrified to speak as a Jew in Hitler's Berlin. Ebay has become much too powerful and something needs to be done to stop the madness.

-reply by Steve

Replying to akijikan"As for faulty, DOA, or broken products, that's why you pay for shipping insurance and deal with trustworthy sellers."I don't know if you are aware, but Insurance on items through USPS does not cover ebay items. From the horses mouth they have advised me numerous times that when an insurance claim is filed it is filed by you (the seller) they will then ask you for a recipt of what YOU paid for it NOT THE BUYER. They will not refund any of the buyers money if you present a paypal receipt. The only thing you can do is provide delivery confirmation a.K.A (tracking number).

-reply by Lizlmt

Totally agree — eBay sucks for sellersEbay Sucks!

I, too, have a pretty decent business on eBay, selling my own original art and calendars, as well as "trash" in my house that may be another man's treasure. My real complaint about eBay is the feedback system. It's totally stupid, and totally subjective. The 1- to 5-star Detailed Seller Rating system is ludicrous. Out of over 1,000 transactions, I have had 3 dissatisfied customers (all morons with less than 10 feedback and a tenuous grasp on reality) who managed to take away my Top Rated Seller status by giving me 1 or 2 star ratings for "Communication". Communication? Really? Actually, I answer every message I have ever received, right away, but I guess they didn't like my answers. Brilliant, right? Especially since one of those customers bought 5 items, and his 5 neutral feedback and 1 star Communication (I literally messaged back and forth with this guy a half-dozen times) counted 5 times. If he had written positive feedback, it would have counted once.

-reply by Jenna

I love ebay. I bought a pen drive at ebay, the shopping went smooth and in 1 week I had it. Also I love those coupon codes and discounts that ebay give to their customers. At India, ebay is cool! Before buying anything you have to besmart. You have to see the sellers ratings and much more about seller before you pay him.

I have been using eBay for decades, and have yet to recieve any coupon code, or discount.

Looking past the low prices, eBay is a marketing based trap. Some people might wonder why the heck would anyone sell prices that low? I mean, $0.01 cents? Some items are reserved. That means if you don't bid up to a set price not displayed, then the vender has the right to not sell you their garbage. That makes some feel jipped. And if you ever manage to get a good deal on something (like a computer), you have to deal with shipping charges. Some sellers overcharge their shipping prices. I know people that do so. And if you're really unlucky, you might end up with a broken computer. And with the no refunds, the only thing you have to fight back with is giving bad feedback, which nobody ever looks at nowadays.

EBay sucks! If you shop there long enough, you'll probably get cheated one day. Instead, I recommend Amazon.com. Stuff there is really cheap! I buy books there often. Even the used books look new! Check it out. You might find something you'll like.

Today in one of my classes we learned about Logical Fallacies. I think what you posted would fall under the hasty generalization logical fallacy. What you're saying has some merit to it, but not much. In any situation when you are buying products from people who aren't registered businesses, you are going to run into problems. The funny thing is, though, that I've been shopping on Ebay for almost 3 years now and have not witnessed much of the problems you have. Sure, some people do charge a bit much for shipping, but a lot of vendors that I buy from offer free shipping. Furthermore, if for whatever reason the product I get isn't what I expected, I'll email the vendor and ask for a refund. IF, the vendor fails to give me a refund, I'll just open a dispute with paypal and they will usually give me my money back that way.

So, Ebay doesn't suck. IF you use it properly. You, on the otherhand, have probably used it one what... once, twice? Maybe you haven't even used it? Because it doesn't seem like you know much about it...

There seems to be a rule, you're either an Amazon fan or and eBay fan. Personally I prefer to use ebay. It's easy to spot the scammers when you know how, and even easier to spot the inexperienced who you get the really great deals off. Unfortunately, I used Amazon a total of 3 times and each time was scammed in to buying say the manual for a phone instead of the phone itself. I definately prefer to use ebay, its rating system is fair and just and gives you a great deal of information about the seller, including if they usually correct their mistakes or just ignore the problems they cause. I was once a large seller on ebay as well and it's a good, easy way to produce an income. I'm without doubt an ebay man, although Amazon is not without its charms. Just unfortunate I suppose I was ripped off when I was. It's all very well saying eBay sucks, but it's really more a matter of taste. It's what you prefer and what you are comfortable with. I could turn around and say Amazon blows big time, but really because it's so popular then can't do really can it? It's just I prefer to use eBay instead. To compare the two sites though really is not prudent. For instance eBay is an auction website, Amazon is more of a flea market. From what I understand, Amazon used to have an auction side to it, but it failed miserably and was closed down soon after opening. This is probably due to the two seperate experiences of the sites. Amazon is for those who want to take it slowly, browse, and get a fixed price on everything. eBay adds an element of suspense to the shopping experience. Will I get this item for less, will I end up paying more? Will I sell it for a fortune, will it not sell at all. It's a great experience for those that enjoy that sort of thing. Amazon also has far less users than eBay which is why it can take a fair amount of time to sell certain items. You also need to get all kinds of different permissions and wait for wait for listings to be approved which eBay avoids by offering better protection on payments and stricter punishments for non-payments/non-delivery. Ok so in eBay you have to pay for your listing before you sell it, and Amazon take the fee off after it has sold, but again the eBay fees depend on what you are selling and ultimately you can end up making a considerable profit, much more than you would expect to make off Amazon. I know I have a biasted view on the side of eBay, but I think it's about how you want your shopping experience to be. eBay definately for adrenaline junkie bargain hunters, Amazon for people who play it slow and safe.

There seems to be a rule, you're either an Amazon fan or and eBay fan. Personally I prefer to use ebay. It's easy to spot the scammers when you know how, and even easier to spot the inexperienced who you get the really great deals off. Unfortunately, I used Amazon a total of 3 times and each time was scammed in to buying say the manual for a phone instead of the phone itself. I definately prefer to use ebay, its rating system is fair and just and gives you a great deal of information about the seller, including if they usually correct their mistakes or just ignore the problems they cause. I was once a large seller on ebay as well and it's a good, easy way to produce an income. I'm without doubt an ebay man, although Amazon is not without its charms. Just unfortunate I suppose I was ripped off when I was.
It's all very well saying eBay sucks, but it's really more a matter of taste. It's what you prefer and what you are comfortable with. I could turn around and say Amazon blows big time, but really because it's so popular then can't do really can it? It's just I prefer to use eBay instead.

To compare the two sites though really is not prudent. For instance eBay is an auction website, Amazon is more of a flea market. From what I understand, Amazon used to have an auction side to it, but it failed miserably and was closed down soon after opening. This is probably due to the two seperate experiences of the sites. Amazon is for those who want to take it slowly, browse, and get a fixed price on everything. eBay adds an element of suspense to the shopping experience. Will I get this item for less, will I end up paying more? Will I sell it for a fortune, will it not sell at all. It's a great experience for those that enjoy that sort of thing.

Amazon also has far less users than eBay which is why it can take a fair amount of time to sell certain items. You also need to get all kinds of different permissions and wait for wait for listings to be approved which eBay avoids by offering better protection on payments and stricter punishments for non-payments/non-delivery. Ok so in eBay you have to pay for your listing before you sell it, and Amazon take the fee off after it has sold, but again the eBay fees depend on what you are selling and ultimately you can end up making a considerable profit, much more than you would expect to make off Amazon.

I know I have a biasted view on the side of eBay, but I think it's about how you want your shopping experience to be. eBay definately for adrenaline junkie bargain hunters, Amazon for people who play it slow and safe.

Exactly. You can easily see who the scammers because of one of two things. For one, you need to look at their Itrader. I really do not do businsess with anybody whose Itrader is less than 15. Furthremore, you then see what other items are going for with their respective price. So for example, if there is a leather jacket that usually goes for 150 dollars, yet somebody with 0 Itrader is selling it for $1 dollar, then of course you most likely are either dealing with a scammer, or the best deal of the year. Really, if you just use common sense half the time, you will be able to avoid many of the issues that most people say they face or do not like with Ebay. And trust me, it's worth the time when you are saving hundreds of dollars on items that you usually pay a lot for :)

I'll be honest, the only reason I don't use eBay is because I don't trust the people who sell the products. Also, I've heard many complaints from people who use PayPal on eBay and how they get ripped off. These are just some of the reasons why I use other sites such as Amazon instead.

ebay.in scamsEbay Sucks!

Replying to akijikanFees are too high for sellers so u can buy items cheaper on other sites - To India customers I reccommend ebay as a research tool thats it!! Paisapay has 0 guarantees u will find out soon! More mature buyers/sellers can be found onEbid.Net ( click India location when u enter the site).I also like buynsellindia.Com ( this site has Times of India Guarantee if item is not received, or not as described etc. And its quick and friendly to use unlike paisapay which is your enemy - and quikr.Com ( for local shopping).

-reply by akki

I put a bid on a ralph lauren polo long sleeve shirt. I never received it. I went to ebay resolution center what a joke they said I received the cherokee shirt which I did. They tell us we must go to fraud agencies, they said we were not the winning bidder not so why would I pay for a shirt that I did not win. They took my money but crooks are not at fault it is ebay. I have sold cosmetics on ebay for two years and have a great score. No complaints. If I do not receive my returned money I will take action. There are things you can do. Write to IC3.gov, better business bureau, FBI. Federal Trade commission, it is clear ebay no longer is a watchdog on their company.

Over the years I see ebay is constanly incresing their seller fees. Now you ahve to pay 10% for ebay/paypal fees for anything you sell, plus if someone is trying to fraud you, it's so easy to do on ebay. The good transactions all are based upon mutual trust between honest people. While evil buyer/seller occasionally get their way, i ahve been burnt many many many times both as seller and as buyer. yes ebay knows there are quite some people rely on ebay for their livlihood, and they took advantage of that. So if you can not live without ebay/payapl, you'll have to endure all the bitter outcomes should they come.

I can't buy or sell something from e-bay because they are using paypal "by the way : paypal sucks" wich blocks all incoming money to Algerian citizens accounts "i don't know why!" ,then i can't find a shipping to my country , all what i see is shipping to france , and why the hell am i gonna ship my stuff to France?