xisto Community
jonassen-tjader

Firewalls Anti-virus, Anti-Spyvware and firewalls

Hi,I don't know if there might allready be some subtopic regarding firewalls, but in these anoying computer unhumanity terror days, would I like to discus with others their expirence regarding diffrent security systems.I've been using several of these systems, and the most of them without any bigger surpriseing results. As many might allready had mentioned is Norton Internet Security an very heavy solutions, that too often alow virus and other unwanted stuff access your system, and the same problem had I expired with both Panda and McAfee Internet security.Still haven't I had these same expirence with zonealarm Internet Security, but the problem with zonealarm is that it's a little too tuff to handle, as you haven't always ideas about what is good to block and what are needed to keep open.I've been mentioned under a another topic that I have some trouble to make my apache webserver get up and running, and I have some thoughts that it might have something to do with my firewall.My OS is windows 2k, and as mentioned above do I use ZoneAlarm Internet Security.I hope that some can give me some of their expirence and might help me out of this situation.ThanksCheers!Jens

Hi,

I don't know if there might allready be some subtopic regarding firewalls, but in these anoying computer unhumanity terror days, would I like to discus with others their expirence regarding diffrent security systems.

I've been using several of these systems, and the most of them without any bigger surpriseing results. As many might allready had mentioned is Norton Internet Security an very heavy solutions, that too often alow virus and other unwanted stuff access your system, and the same problem had I expired with both Panda and McAfee Internet security.

Still haven't I had these same expirence with zonealarm Internet Security, but the problem with zonealarm is that it's a little too tuff to handle, as you haven't always ideas about what is good to block and what are needed to keep open.

I've been mentioned under a another topic that I have some trouble to make my apache webserver get up and running, and I have some thoughts that it might have something to do with my firewall.

My OS is windows 2k, and as mentioned above do I use ZoneAlarm Internet Security.

I hope that some can give me some of their expirence and might help me out of this situation.

Thanks

Cheers!

Jens

1064322992[/snapback]

I use Win Xp Sp2 firewall and it works awsome. Also, I use Kaspersky AV with it and there is now problems at all. As you metioned that you use Zone Alarm. I think Zone Alarm Firewall is powerful enough. Zone Alarm Ani-virus is not that powerfull enough. I know some people use Zone Alarm Firewall but not AV.

Yes i would recommend Windows XP SP2 Firewall aswell as it not only closes all unneccessary ports and prompts you open them as you need them but it creates a New connection for each type of media you place into your computer for exampl your webcam and T.V. Card which is great because you can then have different levels of security with simplicity to boot, which i why most people stay away from Zone Alarm.

I tried many firewalls, like Kerio, Zone Alarm, and XP SP2 firewall. I find that Kerio often crashes my sytem, it's not very stable. Zone Alarm is very good for a free software, but it can be very hard to use for newcomers. XP SP2 is good, good if you want a simple and effective firewall.

Thank you very much for your advice about Zone Alarm AV, I have it but not yet installed it, as I havn't as far meet any complications to using AVG that is the most stable Freeware AV that I've tried.

Cheers!

Jens

I use Win Xp Sp2 firewall and it works awsome.  Also, I use Kaspersky AV with it and there is now problems at all.  As you metioned that you use Zone Alarm.  I think Zone Alarm Firewall is powerful enough.  Zone Alarm Ani-virus is not that powerfull enough.  I know some people use Zone Alarm Firewall but not AV.

1064322995[/snapback]

if you want a totally customizable, yet secure outta the box, firewall that can grow with your needs and you can play with and learn about security with; I would suggest Agnitum Outpost Firewall. I not only lets you close ports and lets you know when unautorized access happens, but it also shows you what programs are making connections to the internet and what ports they are using as well as how much bandwidth each program is using.Its powerful, easy to use, and although it has a decent learning curve to be able to use all its features it can be set up and forgotten about for the most part.

I use Sygate Firewall, it realy rocks, but I don't use it for internet->pc sercurity. Main reason I have it is to control (if you lose control, then you're scr****) the applications on my computer. Only downside is that it isn't compatible with Mercury Messenger, it hangs when MM is running (but that also happens to the windows file protection message).I don't like Kerio/Tiny, because it doesn't allow some SPF settings (or not as easy).Same for zonealarm (tough it's a long time ago I've tested it).

I use Sygate firewall, along with both Avast & Antivir anti virus progs. All 3 are freeware, and seem to keep me fairly safe from all the nasties out there on the net.I tried all the firewalls, and Sygate works best for me.

actualmente yo no estoy usando ninguno. uso el mozilla que me cubre todos por popups

Hi, tluu, try speaking english here, it's more polite. By the way, this post is about firewalls. Mozilla has a pop-up blocker, it has no firewall. Mozilla will prevents an unknown window to pop-up, it will not prevent an ad-ware program to start installing on your pc.

Among the firewalls I have used the most effective is Kerio. It is a very good firewall to use for free. ZoneAlarm is also good but the free version is not very good. If a person have to decide only from the free firewalls I will sugget Kerio.

Well BlackCat, you know how many programmes are,sometimes they work well on a system ,sometimes on another.On mine it doesn't work well,although i think that has great potential for newbie users,because it uses the simplest vocabulary i 've seen till now and also warns the newbies not to activate the "expert" mode (rule based) if they don't know what they 're doing..But maybe in another person's system it will have better luck.Also in their website they have a .pdf manual where you can get a very good idea of the sections since they have many screenshots.My PC runs on Win XP Sp1a fully patched,Athlon XP 2500+,768 MB DDR RAM.I uninstalled the previous firewall,restarted,used registry cleaner, installed this one,restarted,connected to the net.Only applications that were running using the net were Firefox,a mail notifier,KAV and svchost of course.And my setup is pretty clean because i formatted 2 weeks ago.Well...

With the rapid growth of interest in the Internet and the Windows NT operating system, network security has become a major concern to companies throughout the world. The fact that the information and tools needed to penetrate the security of corporate networks are widely available has only increased that concern. Because of this increased focus on network security, network administrators often spend more effort protecting their networks than on actual network setup and administration. New tools that probe for system vulnerabilities, such as the Security Administrator Tool for Analyzing Networks (SATAN), assist in these efforts, but these tools only point out areas of weakness instead of providing a means to protect networks. Thus, as a network administrator, you are constantly trying to keep abreast of the wide number of security issues confronting you in today's world. The next section describes many of the security issues that arise when connecting a private network to the Internet.Security Issues When Connecting to the InternetWhen you connect your private network to the Internet, you are physically connecting your network to well over 50,000 unknown networks and all of their users. While such connections open the door to many useful applications and provide great opportunities for information sharing, most private networks contain some information that should not be shared with outside users on the Internet. In addition, not all Internet users are involved in lawful activities. These two statements foreshadow the key questions behind most security issues on the Internet:How do you protect confidential information from those who do not explicitly need to access it?How do you protect your network and its resources from malicious users and accidents that originate outside of your network?The following sections describe the security issues and types of attacks focused around these two questions. Protecting Confidential InformationConfidential information can reside in two states on a network. It can reside on physical storage media, such as a hard drive or memory, or it can reside in transit across the physical network wire in the form of packets. These two information states present multiple opportunities for attacks from users on your internal network, as well as those users on the Internet. We are primarily concerned with the second state, which involves network security issues. The following list introduces five common methods of attack that present opportunities to compromise the information on your network:network packet sniffersIP spoofingpassword attacksdistribution of sensitive internal information to external sourcesman-in-the-middle attacksWhen protecting your information from these attacks, your concern is preventing the theft, destruction, corruption, and introduction of information. These results can cause irreparable damage to sensitive and confidential information. Below, we describe these common methods of attack and provide examples of how your information can be compromised.

I use McAfee Firewall and Anti-Virus, because it comes with my Comcast Internet. I have never had a problem when using it, and it protects me from alot. Whenever I don't use it my PC ends up getting cluttered with bull#hit.

When it comes to a free firewall, I would reccommend Zone Alarm. One gripe I have with this software, is that it does use up a lot of memory and system resources, and can take quite a while to startup. However, it is easy to use, it sets itself up, and doesnt keep on popping up to ask you questions. (The main reason I cannot tolerate kerio personal firewall) Sygate crashed my pc, but as my pc wasn't that stable in the first place, I cannot say for sure whether the firewall was at fault.

The firewall in Windows XP alone, isn't enough to protect your computer. It will block attempts by remote computers trying to get into your one, however it doesn't control what programs access the internet. Therefore if you had a malicious program on your computer, with just the Windows XP firewall, it could access the internet. ( In SP2, it does ask if you want to block certain programs acting as a server specifically)

I use McAfee Firewall and Anti-Virus, because it comes with my Comcast Internet. I have never had a problem when using it, and it protects me from alot. Whenever I don't use it my PC ends up getting cluttered with bull#hit.

I use McAfee's anti-virus to protect my computer and have used their firewall and would reccommend it as well.