xisto Community
sparx

Yahoo Beta Testing New Mail Interface

The new Yahoo Mail beta will feature e-mail caching; message preview; drag-and-drop filing; the capability of quickly searching e-mail headers, body text and attachments; and the ability to view multiple e-mails at the same time in separate windows and scroll through all message headers in a folder rather than one page at a time.

In addition, the new version will add address auto-complete, right-click menus and standard keyboard shortcuts.

The beta will be available to a limited group of Yahoo Mail users in the United States and will be expanded to include users worldwide in coming months, Yahoo said. Users will be able to choose the new version, stick with the older version, or switch between the two.

Several sites have reported that Yahoo is beta testing a new interface for its email service. Sources claim that recently acquired company OddPost is behind most of the interface changes that will be seen.

Posted Image

The above image is what the OddPost interface looked like earlier.

The Yahoo Mail interface as we know it might well be replaced by something that resembles Microsoft Outlook or other full-fledged PIMs. It's a good idea being able to integrate existing services like AddressBook, Bookmarks and the recently re-launched My Yahoo so as to present a more unified presentation. You login and in front of you is your email / schedule / news stories and RSS feeds and reminders for the day.

Posted Image

Best of all, it's accessible from any PC connected to the Net and you can also synchronize your existing PIM with the service using the IntelliSync software for free.

Review & First Screenshots

Wow, the new beta interface does certainly seems to look very cool, exactly like a full email-client which you've described. Looks like Yahoo Mail is investing heavily to fight Google in the email wars. A interface change for MSN Hotmail is necessary if they don't want to lose the battle.

Wow, looks really good. The color schemes and graphics are more attractive than gmail, but I dunno about its functionality. I wonder if it is only for Internet Explorer... Can users request the interface, or is it randomly picked only?

Mmm ... it's about time Yahoo! Mail did a serious makeover. My primary e-mail account is with them so I'm looking forward to seeing what this beta test will lead to.But unless they start coughing up *massive* storage space, they'll still fall behind Google/GMail, methinks.

O.o That looks nice! It looks like a full mail client but online! The layout looks excellent, now we'll just have to see if the space and efectiveness, etc is also as good. And Google is the strongest rival. The space is a key object in e-mail, and Gmail is clearly winning that war. And remember that GMail is still a beta too!

i think they are trying to compete with google in the email wars and also just to streamline their designs.... it looks a lot like the sbc layout/design....

I think it's a good thing, another knife in Hotmail's heart. Gmail is still faster, and I like the conversation format. However, most of my web accounts are Yahoo based, and my DSL email is tied to Yahoo, so this to me is a vast improvement over it's current GUI. Now, if only they could provide a fast speed to their service and stop sending out my email address to spammers.

it looks nice! the design look the same thing if you have a yahoo messenger. I say that when this Yahoo Mail is really available and not as beta, Hotmail, Gmail will do something similar. competition! competition!

yeah, the new look is sleek. I have used a few email services earlier with the same look. But they take a more time to load and become irritating after some time. Hope Yahoo does something to improve the load times coz.. Gmail is pretty fast with only CSS and very few images.Even the ads are text based whereas in yahoo/hotmail etc the number of images slow down the mail system i.e, take more time to load. This could be easily noticed if you use a dial up connection or something not as fast as a DSL or 256 Kbps connection...They would need to balance the performance and looks somewhere. To try a similar look go to http://unitedemailsystems.com/. It is a free 3GB email service provider with very nice interface, almost like MS outlook and the menu and other stuff..For now its wait and watch. As the Email war heats up, the ultimate benefit will be to the end user like us.... Cheers.

Its About TIME They Did Sumtin With It. I Use Yahoo All The Time It Just Seems To Work Really Well For Me Glad To Hear They Gonna Change It Up And Work Better Instead Of Focusin On Makin Goofy Characters To Show Others Who Cares.

Looks pretty snazzy, won't pull me over form gmail though. The interface is irrelevant to me as long as it is functional, and since I like gmails functionality (convo format, quick, intuitive) I wouldn't switch over for a nicer interface. At least it'll give me something better to look at when I use one of my yahoo mail spam addy's for something B)Oh, and I personally can't see hotmail ever being on top again. They dropped the ball and hard, especially since personally anytime I've ever had a hotmail acocunt it got spammed hard even if I never registered for anything with it. The spam filters could never keep up. My gmail and yahoo accounts rarely get any and what they do get are filtered easily (unless its the addy I sue to register for random crap sites)So yes, great effort and I'm glad to see yahoo trying (competition is always good for the end user) but it won't be enough for me.