xisto Community
xboxrulz1405241485

What's Wrong With Microsoft? Well, it makes users stupid

actually, there are more users on Linux than there are on Mac. Linux is the 2nd widely used operating system if you want to compare the overall scale.

Usage throughout the world

1. Windows

2. Linux

3. Mac

4. BSD

5. Others

Furthermore, Linux is definitely NOT UNIX tilted towards Windows, it's just how some users sets them up to act like Windows because they're too used to it.

xboxrulz

Edited by xboxrulz (see edit history)

I meant if there was any comparison to be had, Windows is supposed to be simple, Unix not to so simple, Linux sort of inbetween. Hence it's Unix slapped towards Windows a little :(

I never understand why so many people say windows is easyer to use.Recently, i was helping out a friend who had a new top of the range computer.It had SATA hard disks, 1 DVD rw drive, and no floppy disks.Anyways, All attempts to install windows XP failed, because windowsXP does not have SATA support, you need a 3rd party driver from the motherboard manufacturer...with no spare cd drives / floppy drives, windows was unable to detect the hard didsks.in the end, we managed to find a space floppy disk we could add.and then it wasnt too complicated to coax windowsXP install cd into loading the 3rd party driver, and installing.however, installing windows to this manchine involved taking it apart, and adding a spare floppy disk.with linux, ( wuich supports new SATA disks ) the install is jusrt a matter of popping in the install disks.ALSO, thile linux is installing, you can brows the internet, send emails, listen to music, watch DVD's, do your homework... whatever you like.

plus, right now Microsoft seem to start falling apart, now the biggest support beam is going to slip out of the Microsoft structure, Bill Gates, who announced his retirement and fully finish this transaction in 2 years.Windows isn't as easy to operate than Mac. Mac Just Works . Windows? Different story, especially if your computer crashed (kernel panics), you'll need to reinstall the operating system. On Tuesday, my old pal needed some help on his computer, we went through regular bootup sequence w/ his copy of Windows XP disc (which is legal btw) and it doesn't work. The machine just stalls midway, I went in to the recovery console (which is in non-standard, DOS) and couldn't figure it out. So the only thing to do is to tell him to contact Toshiba.If that was a Mac, I didn't need to go through this horrendous process as Macs don't fail like that. Even if it fails, I can recover it using UNIX commands which are widely used and standardized.Same goes with Linux. If there's a problem, I can easily unload the kernel module with a single command to prevent it from crashing. I even got a *NIX system to be so "user-friendly" (GUI Wise) that it's even easier than Windows, according to my schoolmates.Windows is NOT 100% "user-friendly", especially when it fails to work. It'll just put you in a bigger mess.UNIX/Linux is simple, just not the way how Microsoft had taught people to think. It's sometimes much more simple than Windows. UNIX/Linux wasn't originally designed to have a GUI, but since GUIs are now an essential part of computing, the opensource community had to build a software that easily resembles a GUI that everyone knows. LINUX/UNIX is easier to administer because it was built to do so. The configuration files are simple and straight foward. For Windows, you need like a 500-page textbook in order to fix it's core services. On Linux, all you need is the system's manual program or a 200-page "How Linux Works" book.xboxrulz

Edited by xboxrulz (see edit history)

You have to remember though that Mac's are still all the same hardware, everything could be programmed to work on very specific hardware. Windows isn't like that, it runs on just about anything you throw at it.I don't know why Windows XP would need third party SATA drives (not that I know a single person out of 100's that would even use SATA, their still somewhat new in a way), I suppose Windows XP came out before SATA drives? that would make sense, or a issue with driver makers or some such who knows.You can basicaly use the operating system while you are installing it? (Linux) I find that a little farfetched besides using a LiveCD if thats what you mean and you didn't include the fact that it takes 100 years to boot rofl. Iv'e used a few distributions, they were alright to play around with except it didn't like my USB modem, Windows does, it didn't like my gamepad, guess what? Windows does, Linux doesn't seem to have an alternate to alot of my favourite games... oh dear and it would seem neither does Mac.... oh well.If Windows isn't really that good... why are so many people using it? If someone could throw an honest to god replacement(that can *really* beat Windows) in a few peoples faces then word would spread like wild fire.Linux won't be that replacement and neither will Mac, Mac isn't overly difficult or some Linux distributions (to some degree) but the majority want it simple and Windows seems to hit the hammer on the nail the most accuretly so far.EDIT: FireFox is a good example of something that basically crapped all over Internet Explorer and word spread pretty fast all considering...

Edited by Chesso (see edit history)

"You have to remember though that Mac's are still all the same hardware, everything could be programmed to work on very specific hardware. Windows isn't like that, it runs on just about anything you throw at it."This is the major point. Mac controls the hardware and the software, so they can do pretty much anything they want. Now with the macintels, my understanding is that has changed, but i'm not sure if you can run OSX on a Dell even now. One thing I find funny is that for years Mac told everyone that their processors were better and faster, and now they have completely switched. It seems like mac junkies would be mad about it, doesn't it.I'm not saying Windows is perfect either, but thy're both too focused on eye candy and things to entice new users. At least you can strip all this away with Linux!

Yes, you can run MacOS X on most x86/x86-64 machine. However, it is considered highly illegal. The only legal way to run MacOS X is to have it running with a Mac hardware. However, the Mactels can run Windows XP via Bootcamp.xboxrulz

I enjoyed reading the comments and agreed with many of them. I started with machine language in college and advanced to Basic. GUI’s are one of the greatest advancements in computer interfaces. Now people without computer skills can enjoy the vast amounts of information and communicate with words and graphics. IMHO, the entire fault with virus, spyware, bug filled software, spam and EULA just to mention a few is the consumer. I belong to EFF organization and we are trying to make a difference. If we the people would simply get off our backsides and unite the world would be a much better place.If our government can be hacked what possible chance does the rest of us have. Buying more spyware detection, spam blockers and learning better pc skills you get the understanding, is a waste of time and money. We should expect no demand the ISP provide security rather than each of us buying our own. And yes, some of us will be hacked regardless. I personally use a USB HDD that is all ways disconnected while connected to an ISP. A legitimate company or incorporation is the primary source of all the crap on my pc. Where is the majority of your carp coming from?

I have to agree that while MS and Windows have produced a "clueless user" at the same time it has made it possible for the end-user to be able to do things; such as surf the net, send and receive email, and even do some basic editing of pictures and other things with little to no knowledge of how to "properly" use a computer.While I have to say that I'm not MS fan, at the same time it keeps money flowing into my pocket since I fix what they screw up. While this isn't a good thing for the most part it does allow people to access vast amouts of information without having to know much about the hardware they are using to access it. That was the whole point behind the PC and Mac/Apple from the word go, to develop an OS that would allow everyone/anyone to use a computer without having to be a "geek" to do so.Don't get me wrong I'm not defending the OS creators, and I have as little love for Mac as I do for MS, both have done shady back room deals to keep themselve alive, but so has any other major company out there, but at the same time they have "empowered" their customers so they can do things without having to go to lots of classes or teach themselves how their computers work and what not.Over the years I have seen, relativly speaking, as many "clueless" mac users as Windows, but at the end of the day the only ones that can truely be blamed are the users themselves since they don't want to be educated for the most part, or even worse, they think that their next door neighbors kid can fix their system and end up with a larger bill then if they had let a trained professional do the work in the first place.

When you buy a PC it usually comes with Windows pre-installed. While this saves time for the buyer bringing home and using the PC, it doesn't offer much choice. I reckon that computer stores should have a variety of operating systems up on display - Windows, Linux, MacOS - so the user can pick the one they want.

It's the same reason why statistics show that 'Microsoft Internet Explorer' is the 'most popular' of web browsers. It isn't necessarily the most popular. It's just that it's what's pre-installed on computers. Myself, I use Firefox.

Buyers need to be made aware of their options. If they use Linux instead of Windows, OpenOffice.org instead of Microsoft Office, Mozilla Firefox instead of Microsoft Internet Explorer, and Mozilla Thunderbird instead of Microsoft Outlook, they'll save hundreds of dollars.

If Windows isn't really that good... why are so many people using it? If someone could throw an honest to god replacement(that can *really* beat Windows) in a few peoples faces then word would spread like wild fire.

Let me ask you something. Do you know anything about linux? I'm not trying to be rude, I'm trying to make a point.

If you did, you'd know that Linux supports about every CPU architecture under the sun... Alpha, PPC, x86, and a whole lot more. If it's a computer, you can install Linux on it. Yes, even macs (power PC arch). Now, you have to realize that the software for each platform is coded specifically for that platform. A PPC arch version of linux won't work on an x86 architecture.

Now to move on to another point. If you read the article in the first post, you'd understand why so many people use it.

...somebody who's never used a computer before can sit down in front of a Windows PC and get surfing the 'Net without any training or understanding.

That's why Windows is widely used. Unless the Linux distro is Linspire or Xandros, linux does actually require you to know something. But the nice thing about Xandros and Linspire is that they are mostly idiot-proof for those Windows users who come to linux so they can be "cool".
Now, not all computer illiterate people will just "phase out" as the article suggests. I have a reputation among my friends and even their families and also in organizations I'm involved in as being the "computer guy" or "tech wizard". I'm always explaining things. Like our new school building uses RFID technology and I had to explain to them that this is about as secure as secure gets for right now. You can't easily duplicate a RFID signal as you can a barcode and RFID won't get damaged by magnets such as magnetic strips.

And today, I have to figure out why one person can't get online (possibly a bad modem is my guess) and another of why the computer won't play some games, etc (possibly spyware).

[N]F

If consumers are not aware of alternatives than it is fault of either the consumers or the alternative makers. How could it be the fault of MS???

Hmmm...

1) Because MS buys up competitors and shuts them down.

2) Because MS locks competitors out of the distribution channels

3) Because MS steals technology and then shuts the competitor out

4) Because MS makes certain that no one can write compatible software so customers are locked in

5) etc.

Remember that MS has been convicted of these practices in multiple countries now. The only reason Linux has survived so far is there is no central organization for MS to fight--- no one to sue, no one to buy. This is partly why the SCO litigation started, as a test of a new litigation strategy to fight Open Source.

I don't know why Mac has survived (even as a Mac user myself). Probably because there is a core of zealots who will sell their child before using anything else.

MAC has probably survived cause Microsoft couldn't care less? They don't really have anything to worry about *shrugs* nor with Linux.There is so many basic users that just want to get their stuff done with minimal fuss that MS could probably survive on them alone so meh >_>.