xisto Community
xboxrulz1405241485

What's Wrong With Microsoft? Well, it makes users stupid

I fail to see why it is considered so important to many people that one should understand more than the very basics about computers. In my opinion, there is, for the majority of users, no need to know much about them, but merely know how to use them.After all, I don't need to know how my tv works, or my microwave, or ebven my car, as long as I know how to use it.

Yet, why is there so many people need to know how to learn how a car works in order to drive it on the streets and do not need to learn to use a computer? Both are just machines.Plus, you don't have to learn everything to the core. It's still easy for the person to just at least know more than what Microsoft does for you. It limits your learning capacity.The thing that irrates me the most, is that some people learn about most of Windows and call themselves an expert while still, 3/4 of everything is hidden and done for them.xboxrulz

It's good that computers are easy-to-use and available to the masses, but yes, it's bad to use them and have such minimal knowledge of them. Seriously, you should have to take some sort of minute-long verbal test before buying a computer, software or peripherals.

If consumers are not aware of alternatives than it is fault of either the consumers or the alternative makers. How could it be the fault of MS???

1064322717[/snapback]

Yeah man that's y word.microsoft is doing business and they are doing it great. Sure their product is not perfect, but who does actually have the perfect product?

Illegal?Microsoft really isn't doing much wrong; you can't blame them for not advertising their competition. The bigger problem lies in the fact that many people don't bother to look for alternatives. They see the Windows has a big market share, assume that that's all that there is, and use it.

Really it was Apple that designed computers to be user-friendly so that people could use computers without knowing the ins and outs. I grew up in the DOS/GW Basic days before this point and click feature became available. Hell I remember MS Works 1.0 that you couldn't use a mouse with and had to do everything by keyboard. Microsoft has pulled bad business practices in the past. There were convicted of being a monopoly even if they really weren't punished for it in the US court system. That can all be documented and true. But what Microsoft into some technical trouble was trying to be all to everyone and ending up with a bloated system that did nothing great, but was okay. It wasn't until Windows 2000 that most of the PNP issues were resolved and they had a stable OS. I happily ran Windows on my last PC. Now I'm over on OSX and love it for a number of reasons, but I've had some problems with Apple too. (iBook Logic Board)I've used XP very little, but seemed okay once I changed the theme to the original style. Where Microsoft is going wrong with the next generation of products is that they are confusing things up with all these different "Price levels". Vista basic you can do this, but you need Vista level 2 to run media app, Level 3 for games, level 4 for office apps, level 5 for adanced featuers, etc. Not exactly how it's going to work, but you get the idea. Some people think its' great to have a lot of "choices", but it is going to confuse the hell out of people.Just look at the Xbox360 Basic, Advanced, Complete (system, 2 controllers, games $1,000).I compare this to how Compaq screwed over the DEC ALPHA pricing structure back in 2000ish. We used to use Alpha computers for rendering because they were 64-bit and had high clock speeds. We had 500Mhz machines when most people were buying Pentium 133's. Where are the ALPHA systems today? They are gone. Compaq seemed to have a differnet price for every system that seemed to change weekly (Cisco and Oracle have done this in the past too) . HP finally killed the ALPHA unit a couple years ago because they didn't know what to do with it really. One thing I do like about OS X is that there is two versions: OSX for Towers/Laptops and OSX Server for servers. Frankly OS X Server is really just OSX with easy to use tools. Any OSX system can be turned into a server if you know what your doing (like me from my days as a Linux and FreeBSD admin).And with OSX pricing, if you by an Xserve it comes with unlimited connections, then there is a cheaper 10 user licenes for smaller businesses. That's it. Simple, easy to deal with. That is why I like Mac's at the moment (that and I work for a video production company that uses Final Cut Pro, so we have to like Macs).

More and more, Microsoft keeps shooting themselves in the foot. The whole deal with the Xbox 360's product steps (expensive core system, or ridiculously expensive "real" system) isn't going to be that great for Microsoft, especially since a lot of Xbox 360 systems are having overheating problems...which is funny as hell, considering this...The PowerPC 970FX processor has major heat issues when clocked over 2.8 GHz (and at that speed, Apple was having to liquid-cool the Power Macs using it), one big reason why Apple is switching to something else. So what does Microsoft do for their game system? They contract IBM to make a three-core version, clocked at 3.2GHz, and voila! Xbox 360 systems are overheating everywhere after 45 minutes! It didn't surprise me much when I stopped by the local Electronics Boutique AND Gamecrazy shortly after the release of Xbox 360, to see that all the in-store floor models have a sign on them saying "This Xbox 360 is out of order". I busted up laughing in the store, to say the least. And now that I hear about more things, like having to pay a yearly fee to continue using your copy of Windows Vista, and now the Vista level whatever stuff...Microsoft's user-base is heading for the toilet. The prices are getting ridiculous for products that haven't really seen much improvement. I've been waiting a long time for this day to happen. Bye-Bye Big Brother....

Interesting. Take it this way:

There's a huge flock of stupid people who don't know how to use a computer because they are using A (replace A with whatever you think fits best.)

You are a genuine expert because you use B (again, replace B with your favourite.)

Were there not A, computers weren't so popular as it is; better, there's now such an enormous, unlimited opportunity layed down for you to take chance by helping them.

You should be thanking A, let alone blaming them.

lol, nice thinking, but Microsoft does limit the person's knowledge on using a computer and making them close-minded in the computer world. Linux (or any other operating system) is different. Linux have versions that are really easy to use and it also allows the user to expand the distribution/operating system.Yet, nice thinking, but Linux can do the exact same thing.xboxrulz

After all, Windows wasn't developped for the ultimate purpose to help one learn better how anything can be described in "0" and "1". I guess it was neither created to teach someone how the "0" and "1" can be stored and read to/from a medium.Did automatic gear change system of automobiles contribute in getting people know more about how engine power is transmitted through the shaft and rotate the wheels? I doubt it. Was it invented for that purpose? Did it help people operate a car easier? I'll leave it to others to answer these questions.True is that many things in our life are getting more complicated therefore the "blackbox" is getting bigger and bigger. Automatics or Windows has served its purpose by promoting the growth of blackboxes; to make cars or computers easier and popular.I agree if you wanted to learn (or wanted to teach someone) how computers operates, Windows isn't your choice. You have the choice of picking up something better for that purpose.You will want to give it a few more moments though, to name which one it is; you certainly do not mean that one which boots from a CD/DVD directly into a beautiful GNOME/KDE desktop without any hastle, nor a spam and/or virus protection. "Linux", alone, isn't the answer.

I found an article on oneandoneis2.org and it describes how Microsoft's invention, Windows made everyone ignorant at learning and that they all don't really know and use a computer.

Your opinions?

http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/wrongms.htm

xboxrulz

1064322593[/snapback]

if you actually really wanted to list all the problems with microsoft you will need to get a new server and put the whole list of microsoft problems.