xisto Community
half1405241509

Man Dies From Playing World Of Warcraft Gaming? Harmful?

That's just insane.... all i can say is... no life. 50 hours of gameplay for what? lol to get better? pfft, just... sad :P Well.. i've played PS2 for over 10 hours before.. but sheet.. 50 hours on WoW... that's just pushing it. :P He asked for it. :P

well this shouldnt even be one of those things that gets parents concerned about thier kids playing video games... Its kind of like if you were to take people that drive really fast and hurt people and say that everyone shouldnt be able to drive for its dangerous..... Its a VERY radical thing, kind of like a tree falling on a guys car while hes driving down the freeway; it isnt one of those things where we look at ourselves and ask questions, its just something that we say "sucks to be him" to.....

Actually, mirdux, I'd say it's something parents should watch out for, but not necessarily go crazy over. I mean, yeah, sure, just because you see some crazy person driving super fast doesn't mean you should stop others from driving, but if you see the people around you starting to imitate that driver, then yes, it's time to worry. Therefore, parents shouldn't totally block their kids from playing video games, but they certainly shouldn't give in to their every demand either. I remember there was this kid in my computer science class last year who played WoW every single day until nine o'clock at night and then began his homework and stayed up until twelve to finish it. It was quite overboard, but his parents never did a thing about it. Though they probably had total control over finances and therefore could've just stopped paying for the WoW subscription, they never did. But he was lucky and quit during the summer before anything major happened.Then again, parents aren't always right either. Some of them are just a bit too uptight about getting a good education. Too much stress is not a good thing. Therefore, it all comes down to not getting obsessed with anything. Just like drinking too much water could make you explode.

Edited by Arbitrary (see edit history)

Therefore, it all comes down to not getting obsessed with anything. Just like drinking too much water could make you explode.

Haha.... that sums it up nicely... :P I couldn't have said it better myself.

That's very interresting, someone that would go to such great lengths just to play a "game." MMORPGs have become rather popular now a days. Many people play it like its their life, while others play it casually to relieve stress. Those that play for hours on end with no food and water, like you have just said have certain had a wrong mind set. It is very sad to hear that that individual would go to that level of play just to play World of Warcraft.I am a MMORPG player, but I play casually. Never have I played over 3 hours straight. At 2 hours I am already dizzy from staring at the monitor and focusing on things that are going on in the game. Sometimes I even get bored just playing the game altogether. It is rare for me to be so focused in an MMORPG. The times that I am in tune and totally addicted to the game is when I first started playing it. It was my desire to gain high levels and obtain high level items that make me feed and addicted to the game.But as I realize during mid through the leveling process of my character I realized it serves nothing but self accomplishment that I could possible do overtime and does not needed to be rushed. Games the continuely make you grind out levels are games that no longer interests me, it just a factor to make you keep playing, people however, seem to dont understand that or is a little impatient that they have to achieve such levels.Quests and such are what drives a game, along with its story and depth, a game with just level grinding alone is not a game worth the time, because to me its like seeing how long you can watch and count a water drop from a sink that leaks. MMORPGs are heavily dependent on grinding, its because creators run out of ideas and need a "filler idea" in its place before they release the next batch of updates to keep players interested in the game and continue to pay for the game which they play online with there friends.I am currently playing multiple MMORPGs, which are Guild Wars, Maple Story, and Lineage 2 C4 or C5 I forget. Guild Wars, I have only version 1 which I have beat and no longer have interest in. But I do go on from time to time to see what have changed in the game and to see my friends, because they are continuing to play the game and its expansions that have been recently released.Maple Story was a game I used to play heavily, and this game was a major grind fest. It is a game that consisted of anime like short like characters which you can customize to your liking with different job classes. I was a thief and as I explored the world of maple story I saw cooler looking characters that I sought to be like, so I would grind levels hours on end till I reached that level. I was satisfied. But throughout the whole time and amount of time spent I was really having much fun, I felt more like I was just doing a job then having fun. Yes, my character looked cool, but thats all it gave me. No special rewards for achieving that level at such a quick rate, just self satisfaction.Lineage 2 was a really fun game that I play from time to time. This game is also a level grind game but comes with a great community. I would compare this game to much like World of Warcraft. It both carry the same elements. You can achieve levels just as fast, but it will take time but you can have more fun because like World of Warcraft you can do it in raiding groups. But the sad thing about this game along with the others games I played is that its not worth the time spent.I sometime wondered if I should just sell my accounts off on ebay to profit for the amount of time I spent playing the game and achieving the high level item rewards. But chances are game master from that specific game would check the auctions going on ebay and close my account altogether before I could even sell the account. So I see playing MMORPGs as a lost in life if your are playing it for the sole purpose of level grinding. If you however are playing it for the fact of relieving stress then you have the right mind set.Back to the main topic about the guy dying from not getting enough nutrition after the 50 hour marathon, all I can say is I wish him the best. Because he wasted his life on a game, I hope that he lived his life to the extent that he wanted to live. Because honestly, I dont think playing hours on end till I die is the way I want to leave this world.

I think that a person dying from a WoW binge is equal parts sad and pathetic (and I use the word "pathetic" literally, not in a spirit of condemnation). For someone to be so consumed with a form of entertainment is unhealthy but something like a WoW obsession is doubly so, in my opinion. By comparison, someone obsessed with something like golf would at least be compelled to interact with other people face-to-face. For someone to be binging on WoW to that extent smacks of desperate social isolation.I'm an introvert and I totally understand the need for "alone time" but this goes way overboard. Perhaps this individual had a legitimate fear of going out and interacting with others (agoraphobia, for example) which makes it all the more sad that he died in front of a video game.It's ironic that I'm sitting in my basement on a Saturday night posting to a forum but I think it's vital for the mental health of our global society for people to get out and engage in face-to-face activities more. If not, I fear that this kind of fatality could become an epidemic sooner than we think.

OMG litterly he died from heart failure god, I always go on video game bindges but I always am hungry, and thirsty so I never like dehidrate. What a weird thing to happen. And I cant believe that blizzard will get sued because its the kids body that did it and it wasent the games it was him not eating or drinking for 50 hours making him responsibible for starving himself.

Wow.. this is not the only case of death caused from world of warcraft... a chinese girl also died from lack of food while playing this game for 72 hours. Also, there were suicides. People actually killed themselves from failing in WoW. But the kids parents taking action by suing blizzard is a very normal reaction as parents tend to blame the game itself rather than the person who was "controlled" by it. Personally, i would blame the kid because blizzard created world of warcraft for entertainment purposes, and not to cause the death of children.

This is just an example of thousands of people around there that would be happy if they could just plug some sort of cable to feed them and where they could do "their necessities" and live completely immersed in a virtual reality. I picture in my mind the day something like this is invented, we'll be seeing the same image taken from "the Matrix", people living in a kind of liquid to keep the bodies alive and a whole virtual world in their minds, connected with millions in the same conditions... and what's worse, perfectly happy to live like that - choosing it voluntarily.

This is just an example of thousands of people around there that would be happy if they could just plug some sort of cable to feed them and where they could do "their necessities" and live completely immersed in a virtual reality. I picture in my mind the day something like this is invented, we'll be seeing the same image taken from "the Matrix", people living in a kind of liquid to keep the bodies alive and a whole virtual world in their minds, connected with millions in the same conditions... and what's worse, perfectly happy to live like that - choosing it voluntarily.

This is the exact point i am trying to stress on this matter, thank you for enforcing it further. Games like world of warcraft are addictive and are generally a waste of time. Like a 'Matrix', as you said that feeds people and eventually may cause death. These games truly disappoint me.

I don´t have a doubt. Although I did not read the article, from my point of view it has a great chance to be true..I remember other games in the past that killed some kids and mens. This kind of accidents happen all the time..But, in this special case, I suppose that the man had a heart failure background. Otherways, he would have feel his stomach ache, or his eyes getting blurred..For Gods sake, but dying of heart attack is just a proof that the man had a heart failure background..I hope this sacrifice will teach some of us that scaping reality is not the answer to our problems..We need to learn from this. We need to learn to interact with people rather than to learn to interact with computers..We need to forgive humans for their errors..The idea of being plugged to a video game like "matrix" is becoming real...The problem is that in matrix, people is fed by tubes, and that is a technology not well used for video gaming..I wonder if some company will start selling those tubes...O my Gosh..I just imagined myself buying one!!!!!...Cheers..

As I said,,before,,this kind of dead happen all the time. It is a regular thing. And we have to learn from this kind of happenings. The one that says that this could not happen to himself, that very same one is at more risk...It is better to accept that every one of us is at risk if we do not take the necessary preventive steps..For example,,one would be, to not play alone..or, to report somebody that you are taking a playing spree, or to have somebody check on you from time to time,,etc..

why would they sue blizzard? (",) they provide us with great games why would we sue them? hehehe. its up to us(users) to control ourselves.a game get very addictive but hey you can controll it its just mind over joypad,keybaord and joystick tha is all