xisto Community
half1405241509

Man Dies From Playing World Of Warcraft Gaming? Harmful?

A worse story I heard (it was in the news, but I don't have the link) is where a couple pretty much let their children starve while they played a game for some insane amount of time. I think they're being charged with negligence or something (they deserve it.) Talk about irresponsible...

I was reading the paper today about a man in South Korea who went on a 50 hour binge playing World of Warcraft and died of heart failure, caused by dehydration and starvation. 

1064320835[/snapback]

This is so typically Korean. I swear, half of these peope are insane. It is their character to do nothing in half measure or moderated by concerns for little things like physical health. Sure I have gone hours playing a computer game, I am sure many of you have. It was only a matter of time before a Korean found this extreme like they do in most everything else. I think they are proud of this type of insanity and encourage each other to behave this way.

Where are the most radical Christians that go to church every morning before dawn to pray: Korea. Where are the most radical communists left in the world where communism has clearly failed: Korea. They will study the hardest in any subject and play the hardest in any game to prove that they are the best in the world. Do I admire the Koreans? Not really. I think they are just crazy.

Indeed it happened, and its completely real, he was addicted and he didnt sleep for 3 days, obviously this wasnt his first time doing that, which caused his bodie and mind to crash, just like internet explorer... but theres no reboot for him =[.Its easy to blame videogames, but theyre not the cause, theyre just the trigger for people to commit stupid acts of violence or stupid stunts like this one.

Wow is very interesting game. A game without an end. And sometimes it's possible to forget about the real world, real time, real feelings, like starving, drowse etc, because of "living" in the 3D world.I can explain this with myself: sometimes, when I am home alone and play video games (online), for example Counter-strike, I find my self very interested in the game, what makes me forget to eat dinner. B) And about sleeping. I just don't want to sleep when I play games. But when I'm doing homework in late evening, I feel very sleepy..., until I switch on my computer....Lol this is crazy, the computer really makes people forget about sleeping, eating and the stream of time!My advice would be: put a big clock in front of your monitor, and go to eat, when the time comes!And about WoW - they could force palyers to take a 1 hour brake, after playing, for example for 5 hours. Or something.... I dunno.... Koreans are crazy :P

Well...for one, im not too surprized...The reason for this is that My aunt's friend's son used to play Video Games a lot. He soon got so addicted that he wouldnt even hear his mother or , for that matter, anyone's call. His mind absorbed too much radiation from the television screen and gaming console that he lost the ability to concentrate on anything else. He would sit there for hours on end tapping buttons and beating highscores. He stopped eating and there was nothing his mother or anyone could do to help that. The Boy soon reached the limit that the police had to be called in. Even they had difficulty at first, but in time, they managed to pull the child away from his games. I believe that he now has a Psychiatrist who has helped him to get over his addiction / obsession with games.Although i said that i amnot surprized by this, i am shocked and saddenned. To lose your life over a video game is terrible and leaves me speachless...(pardon the irony!)

In South Korea, the best gamers usually become millionares and get massive TV contracts. Gaming is HUGE in South Korea, good gamers (gosu) have sports star like status. Maybe he just wanted to become the best. Or, he lost his mind. If this were to happen (which it did) I'd expect it to happen in Korea.

I don't know how someone could go 50 hours straight. Although these things do happen in everyday life, just not to that extent. My friend used to be obsessed with runescape. Once I called him to talk about a school project and he blabbed on about runescape for 10 mins. It got to the point where me and my friends logged on just to see if he was on. But you gotta take it as a game. Me and this kid at school had a duel in runescape. I owned him and tooked all of his stuff, and almost resold his own sheild to him for a higher price than normal. The next day, he wasn't mad and just said " Good job, someday I'll beat you".

comon...You do anything for 50+ hours straight your pretty much screwed

1064322654[/snapback]

I was alive for 50 hours straight. Nothing happened to me...

There are many cases of violence in cybercafes due to online gaming! People get attack...and sometimes shot in korean and other asian countries over little disputes as "You stole my +5 long sword of vanquashing."People go crazy over these games. Counterstrike (a multiplayer counter-terrorism game that uses cash prizes to drive competition between players) is a good example. In 2002 their were 300 "brawls" sometimes envolving hundreds of people in the US outside of internet cafes.Here are some example of computer-game related deaths:"Bragg, 25, pled guilty yesterday to aggravated manslaughter and was sentenced to 15 years imprisonment for the death of his nine-month old son, Tony Jr. last July. A St. Petersburg Times story this morning claimed Bragg had assaulted the child and left him to die because he was interfering with Bragg’s enjoyment of the popular online computer game""21-year-old Hudson man was addicted to EverQuest, says his mother, Elizabeth Woolley of Osceola. He sacrificed everything so he could play for hours, ignoring his family, quitting his job and losing himself in a 3-D virtual world where more than 400,000 people worldwide adventure in a never-ending fantasy.On Thanksgiving morning last year, Shawn Woolley shot himself to death at his apartment in Hudson."I myself got very addicted to Ultima Online - a mmorpg similar to everquest - which comsumed me and I often missed meals, and a nights sleep playing it. It was never that extreme but it was so damn fun. I remember staying in rather than going out clubbing to play as I was having so much fun. Like most things though, I bored of it after a while. 5 good years of my life though were spend in an online world. While at school, I'd plan what I was going to do that night. So glad I grew out of it before my final year!

Thats very interesting... I could see why people could be soo addicted with games... I used to be one of them individuals playing multiplayer games all the time, but not to the extent of starving and killing myself with thrist... I guess the technology is becoming so advance and soo aluring that people are becoming an extreme addiction... I wonder if eventually down the road, the government would start regulating and preventing people to go online for too too long... =/ just a thought...Chin chin...

It is true, because if I recall correctly a person in Korea had played starcraft 48 hours straight without any breaks whatsoever, he pretty much just keeled over in his chair. Also I remember a couple who had left their child at home to play World of Warcraft at the local Internet Cafe, they were planning on only staying for an hour, but they said they got so engrossed into the game that they lost track of time and stayed there for about four hours. Thus upon their return they found there child dead. Pretty idiotic of people really... hahahaha

Someone died playing video games? And because he didn't eat or drink anything for 50 hrs? I find that a little hard to believe. I believe I was engrossed in a game once...

1064320844[/snapback]

Believe it... There was before a case like this one. Also in Korea. I am not sure what exactly happened, but here's the story. This man, he was in a playhouse playing Starcraft. I guess he ate and drank something, but he didn't sleep. He played it for about 48 hours without stopping, and then he died when he went to the bathroom. And this IS confirmed.

People die because of video games all the time. In America, to teenagers went to a highway and shot at people's cars with a shotgun. And they picked it up from GTA III. Crazy folks....

I was reading the paper today about a man in South Korea who went on a 50 hour binge playing World of Warcraft and died of heart failure, caused by dehydration and starvation.

1064320835[/snapback]

Umm... :) this may sound stupid but did he get up and go to the bathroom? No one can "hold it in" for over 2 days strait... I don't use the bathrooms at my school (they are terrible and may include pot smokers/drug users here and there) and I work in District Technology until 5 PM (I start school at 7:20, ends 2:20, band until 3:20 just to give you an idea). I'm surprised the guy didn't die day 1 because of his bladder exploding :huh:

[N]F