xisto Community
half1405241509

Man Dies From Playing World Of Warcraft Gaming? Harmful?

This thread has a lot of staying power! A while back in it, Abhiram asked for references. I don't have one for the title event, but I have one with well-documented problems for teens. It is Boys Adrift - The Five Factors Driving the Growing Epidemic of Unmotivated Boys and Underachieving Young Men. The author, Leonard Sax, has spent many years studying children and motivation. His second "factor" is Video Games. In his opinion, many teens become so addicted to video games that their school performance, social lives and general well-being all suffer from neglect. He gives numerous examples.

I have one teen in college, and a second one in high school. In looking over colleges, I have been surprised to learn that U.S. colleges now have a substantial majority of women students. Boys seem to be losing interest in studies, and to hear Dr. Sax telling it, doing much of anything. This may be more of a problem in the U.S. than elsewhere, but it certainly seems to be something of major concern here!

Someone died playing video games? And because he didn't eat or drink anything for 50 hrs? I find that a little hard to believe. I believe I was engrossed in a game once... Half-Life, when I was playing for the first time, I played it non-stop for almost 3 days. But I did eat, drink, go to the bathroom, sleep for atleast 7 hrs .... I mean like come on, you can't sit and play warcraft and forget to eat or take a pee?

Ha Ha Ha... I remember doing that long time ago with Blizzard's Diablo (the first one). I remember I was playing for like 3 days and 2 nights. I ate breakfast, lunch, dinner, and had junk food too. Then the restroom too. But yeah. It was like the first game I bought and I had just bought a 5 speaker/Sub setup with Soundblaster Live!... cmon. It was cool. Then on the the fourth day my dad came and asked me to drive him to town and back (80 mile drive - oneway), Yikes! I really had to eat and drink to pull that off. I then came back home. I sleep for a 18 hours. *phew*

Yeah that is interesting though. He died. :) Wonder what level he was on. (j/k) I could tell some jokes but nevermind. Anyway did you people watch the south park episode where they were playing Warcraft online? LOL now that's funny.

Well, I used to play world of warcraft nonstop the the first year I got it. Nowadays I'm just a casual player.But to be honest, the first few months I was all day playing that game, I even skipped college sometimes just to have more time to play WoW. It can get very addicting, but I remember before I started playing on the official US realms (july 1st, 2005) I read about people dying while playing.. so me and my friends were joking about that, jokes like "dude we're going to die this year then!" lol.I remember playing a lot but I do remember that I was hungry sometimes, so I stopped playing for a little bit, and without disconnecting I used to go downstairs and eat something, and in less than 10 minutes I was playing again. I think it was mostly because I'm too competitive, and we were 3 friends who were like "competing" to see who was able to reach 60 first, of course I won the competition but I didn't die. I still had time in the day to eat, goto the bathroom and some other stuff that doesn't take too much time lol.The bad thing was that after reaching 60 I realized how much time I wasted playing, and I failed every single one of my classes at college... that was 3 years ago and thank god I don't play like that anymore. I'm doing really good at college but I do miss playing wow nonstop a little.I should be thankful I didn't die I guess... hahaha

Replying to Kid Saiyan those parents are idiots, they can turn off the power. They can tell their son to stop. If you think your chils is gonig insane playing a game you stop them, even if they are adults its not that hard, if its your house and all they do is play games then they obviously cant get a place of their own with their own money, its your house pull the plug for good.-reply by Rafael

So many people play WoW now it's inevitable that a lot of these people playing have some pre-existing health problems and it's inevitable that some of these people are going to actually die while playing, from heart attacks, aneurysms, seizures or whatever.I bet someone could sit down play for 30 minuets have a heart attack and die, but once word gets out or the press gets a hold of it, it is going to be spun that playing the game is what led to that person death.

I tink dat guy died cz he did nt hv food for 2 days...u ssaid da he played 2 days straight rite? No food,no water? For sure at guy died nt cz of gaming!

Playing PSP too long - (Hard on your eyes?)*

Man Dies From Playing World Of Warcraft

I played the SONY PSP for about 1 hour and my eyes started to water and burn, extremely bad! I don't know why...I just know that I never looked away from the screen to stop playing, except for the intermissions between races (WIPEOUT PURE) on the "LOADING" screen...* What happened? (IT's really getting on my last nerve, because my eyes caused me to lose the races, and in one; I got destroyed from not being able to see correctly (fully) and my racecraft exploded in mid-air. Remember: (my eyes started burning and watering after 30 min. - 1 HR. Of gameplay...)!* Any ideas, why???

E-mail me...

-question by Isaac

Replying to half He probably didn't die of lack of food since you won't die from starvation unless you don't eat for around a whole week. Water is around 2-3 days. But, people who die from playing video games is usually from exhaustion. A persons body just gets to excited and eventually the body just totally fails. Usually ending up with somebody dieing. This is also true during the soccer world cup. Some people were watching the games non stop that there were news of some dieing from exhaustion. -reply by Jason

Just playing for an hour in my computer hurts my eyes. I cant imagine playing 50 hours straight. OMG my eyes balls must popped out when that happens. But maybe, the man did not eat thats why he died. Computer addiction can really kill you.

I remember reading this, back in 2005. I find it hard to believe. Not eating or drinking for 50 hours? What an idiotic person. I'd expect him to be in terrible pain before his death. I admit, I've used the computer before when I've had headaches, but not usually with anything other than light headaches. I'm surprised he got off with this at the cyber-café I believe it was he was playing the game at. They should've unplugged at night.

I always knew that video games could be addicting, but I had no idea that anyone had actually *died* from playing one too much. I've heard stories of people who completely withdraw themselves from the real world, preferring the life of a "Fantasy game". In fact, I know people who have actually QUIT their jobs in order to have more time on their games - they often do forget to eat, drink, and even cut down on sleep. Luckily, most of my acquaintances have all had counseling, and have now all but quit their respective games.Anyways, as has been said, I believe that this man died from Exhaustion, or possibly a seizure or some other sort of attack, and not starvation or dehydration, as both of those take several days to occur. Unless he hadn't been eating for several days before that for some reason?

I love my games and want to go into a career developing them, but games ARE becoming an addiction, and also at my school some people get superiority complex because they're "5 levels higher than you so that makes you a nooooob, haha I own you" (I used to get this every time I saw this one kid, made me want to beat the hell out of him), but anyway, MMOs are the worst, because it's so repetative yet engrossing at the same time, and especially games like WoW, to be honest I find it a ripoff, and it's recently been uncovered by some that they use subliminal messages, and I can sure tell you that besides the little warining they have in the instruction manual they don't really try to dissuade you from excessive playing, one game that HAS got the right idea is last chaos, (imagine runescape on steroids, a lot of steroids, better graph. Story and controls...And community), and every 4hours I think it is (its been a while since ive played) it says in noticable letters something along the lines of "you have now been playing this game for 4 hours, please turn off the game and rest for 2 hours". This made me look at the clock realise id been playing ages, come back to reality, and reduce heavily my risk of going blind, or, as mentioned, dying.Blizzard is rich...If subliminal is happening, which from what ive seen it is (everyone I know whos not played who ive asked who's not played too much aggrees, and everyone who plays a lot argues) it needs to be investigated. NOW. And also they need to take steps to STOP...THIS...HAPPENING. Its really important. The companies putting us, young people, and the older generation too, need to spend some of thier millions (possible billions) of profit investigating how to help us play in moderation. Anyone aggree?-reply by privateD.Lister

I don't see how you could be that addicted I thought I was addicted to rs (runescape) becuase I play quit a bit but not that muchive played all day a few times like from an hour after I get up till like 5:00am I got up at 8:00 am but I that bathroom breaks food and I took some good 30 min. Breaks and went outside.-reply by josh

Honestly, the game may be "addicting" and all, but to play for 50 hours straight is just taking it too far. I've played the World of Warcraft for about three years and, although I have played for large amounts of time now and again, I've never come close to playing for that long. It's really the guy's fault for thinking it was a good idea to play for so long. Personally, I think the game's not addicting at all as long as you realize that it's just a game. It's not a big deal. I guess some people don't think the same way.