xisto Community
half1405241509

Man Dies From Playing World Of Warcraft Gaming? Harmful?

If this kind of things keep happening, I guess we will need to have to change the name of joypad to murderpad, or from joystick to dyingstick..I think it will make us aware of the risks of playing a very good game..Next time, we will probably hear about somebody trying to sell us a video game life risk insuranse,,for the just in case we get addicted to a very good game...jajajaj...cheers

I was reading the paper today about a man in South Korea who went on a 50 hour binge playing World of Warcraft and died of heart failure, caused by dehydration and starvation. Can video games become so engrossing that it numbs all effects such as hunger, thirst, or pain? It's hard to believe that he would not grab something to eat after playing for a little over 2 days straight. The article said that this kind of thing happens all the time in South Korea, not to the extreme of dying though. South Korea's connectivity to the world is very high, very close to the United States if not passed it. Their leaps in technology have made the internet a necessity which is both a good and bad thing.

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I just thought it was interesting :-P.

Trouble is, many people die from overdosing on gaming binges, and almost always either end up in life-threatening situations or in this case, death. So many deaths have actually been the cause to why the Chinese government (even though this man is Korean, but I'm sure they have restrictions too) have restricted players to play for only a couple of hours a day. Not like they have a choice, since it's mandatory.

It's not the fact that video games can kill you, because if that was the case, I'd be dead over a decade and a half ago, but it depends on the moderation. Everything is based on moderation, video games are no exception. People who do this probably have the misconception that they're immortal and take advantage of the fact that they're young and unstoppable. Not true. Just because alcohol is allowed, doesn't mean it can't kill. All in moderation and no one gets hurt.

This is such a Stupid korean Stuff. I swear, half of these peope are insane. It is their character to do nothing in half measure or moderated by concerns for little things like physical health. Sure I have gone hours playing a computer game, I am sure many of you have. It was only a matter of time before a Korean found this extreme like they do in most everything else. I think they are proud of this type of insanity and encourage each other to behave this way.Where are the most radical Christians that go to church every morning before dawn to pray: Korea. Where are the most radical communists left in the world where communism has clearly failed: Korea. They will study the hardest in any subject and play the hardest in any game to prove that they are the best in the world. Do I admire the Koreans? Not really. I think they are just crazy.Indeed it happened, and its completely real, he was addicted and he didnt sleep for 3 days, obviously this wasnt his first time doing that, which caused his bodie and mind tocrash, just like internet explorer... but there is no 9 lives for him

Edited by richie (see edit history)

This is such a Stupid korean Stuff. I swear, half of these peope are insane. It is their character to do nothing in half measure or moderated by concerns for little things like physical health. Sure I have gone hours playing a computer game, I am sure many of you have. It was only a matter of time before a Korean found this extreme like they do in most everything else. I think they are proud of this type of insanity and encourage each other to behave this way.
Where are the most radical Christians that go to church every morning before dawn to pray: Korea. Where are the most radical communists left in the world where communism has clearly failed: Korea. They will study the hardest in any subject and play the hardest in any game to prove that they are the best in the world. Do I admire the Koreans? Not really. I think they are just crazy.
Indeed it happened, and its completely real, he was addicted and he didnt sleep for 3 days, obviously this wasnt his first time doing that, which caused his bodie and mind to
crash, just like internet explorer... but there is no 9 lives for him

Well, let's not be racists here. It is just a fact that South Koreans have the largest MMORPG (and Starcraft) players in the world. A percentage will participate in gaming binges, and is causing many to die as we can see here.

xboxrulz

Okay, this is just weird. I know games can be addicting - I must admit that I had spent a lot of time on Runescape and other RPGs, too much, in fact - but how can they be so addicting that one can die from it? It's a bit hard to believe, but I'm pretty sure it can still happen. Somehow. Even during the summer, when I have all day to play games, I still get over *cough* ten to twelve hours of sleep (hey, I like my sleep), plenty of nourishment, and enough washroom breaks. How can one ignore the fact that they're sleepy, thirsty, hungry, and require a visit to the washroom?What has the world come to? People used to die from real sword fights in the medieval times, and now, people die from video games. >.>Serena

There have more people been killed by playing World of Warcraft. Well, some people even murder others by playing it. How? Read this:There was a couple, they probably met through WoW and they married. They got a baby, and then went playing WoW again. And I don't know how long they have actually been playing there, but the kid eventually died because the parents didn't feed it. I think it's just sick how much WoW can ruin your life, and eventually even kill you as it is now known in the world. Would online role playing games eventually become an epidemic? Would more people die / get sick of playing WoW too much? I know.. but I don't want to think about it.

LOL ROFL i actully dont belive this come on if it is for real not some hoax he would of needed to be old like 50 or 60+ like i admit i play warcraft or halo and any war game (use to play runescape but now i find it a really SH** game) but i do leave the comp to eat,drink and go toilet like if he didnt go toilet he probley could of also died of kindy failer or his kindys blew cause dying from heart attack is rare espically if ur playing games like mention in a post before this he would of needed heart problems

I believe this is possible, (This is an opinion, so please no flaming) because I have noticed that I am numb to any hunger during a 5-7 hour straight playing on the computer. I would start around 10AM in the morning and end in the afternoon, without hunger. As soon as I stand up though, my tummy would hurt, making me known to my hunger.Sleeping however, is a requirement for me. Once it reaches around 2AM or 3AM, my eyes give out, and it really forces me to go to bed.Most of the time, I am coding PHP or actionscript which would take most of my brain memory (something like RAM) and so, thinking too much about variables, and what to do and those stuff make me temporarily anesthetized of all pain. I'm really sorry for the poor man that died because of this game.

This topic is realy old. Looks to be from 2005. Anyway I dont feel bad for him. It is his own fault he got addicted to a kids game. Now I have never actualy played world of warcraft but from what I have heard it is one addicting game. Now playing for 50 hours strait seems a little far out but I do know people that have played for up to 10 hours at a time. I do the same as lonelym when I am on the computer. I program php and mysql. I am trying to learn c++ and 3D image making (I want to make a game for windows) but it hasnt been comming very smoothly because all the 3D image programs and 3D cad programs cost $200+ and that is a little much to spend on software (at least in my opinion). I use my computer anywere from 10 minutes to 2 hours per day (depending on if I have anything better to do). I dont think I could got on for 5-7 hours but you never know <_<Thanks,Sparkx

It could be possible. I once stayed on the computer for a day and a half. (Not literally...I would stay on the computer from 6:00am to 2:00 am the next morning, then would sleep and repeat. I did this for about 2 days. As you can see, it's 2:02 a.m. right now, and I'm still on the computer. With this experience, I can see how someone can become addicted to the World of Warcraft game, and eventually die. They might be a "little" bit on the insane side, but I think it is possible.

Yes, it might be true. He could've realized he neglected himself of the basic needs, and when he stood up, all the anesthetic effects were gone, leaving him with unbearable pain.

Yes, it might be true. He could've realized he neglected himself of the basic needs, and when he stood up, all the anesthetic effects were gone, leaving him with unbearable pain.

I fully agree! He must have got a major rush when he got up, and it hit him like a bomb. I feel sorry for the person.

Who said he died by a heartfailure because of playing WoW? Maybe he just got a heart failure, not because of the game, but because there was something wrong with his heart.

I Think that you might be more on the right track with that train of thought. I would believe the two things just happen to coincide, both that he was playing WoW, and that he suffered from massive heart failure. I don't see any way that WoW can cause your heart to stop.

But, if he had not eaten in 7 days, or had any water for 3 days, that still would not cause heart failure. He would have died from starvation or dehydration if that were the case.

I don't think that this story came froma reliable source.