xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Neverseen

Hurricane Katrina Massive Disaster

Very strange there isn't already a topic about this one. I was checking CNN lately and saw a lot about it. There's already 67 dead already confirmed (mostly in Mississippi) ;) And there's still more bodies floating in the floodwaters all over New Orlean. Katrina caused widespread flooding across the region, and floodwaters were still rising Tuesday in New Orleans after a hole opened in a levee protecting the city. Thousands of people have lost their homes. More than 1.3 million homes and businesses in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama are still without electricity... About 80 percent of New Orlean is currently flooded and some areas are under 20 feet of water ! ;) This is just unbelievable ! The city's airports are under water aswell. It will take at least three or four weeks to repair the massive power outages caused by the storm. I'm really sorry for people who are suffering from this disaster :)

Yeah. The extent of the damage is so amazing ... I'm over here in Central Texas, so I haven't seen any fallout from it or anything, but just watching news clips and photos on the front pages of our papers here ... wow.The people there are most definitely in my thoughts and prayers. I hope that they can restore necessities like power and take care of all the people who don't have homes anymore ... or who just can't get to them for a while.

It will take at least three or four weeks to repair the massive power outages caused by the storm.

When the Hurricanes hit Florida Last Year it took minium 2 Months to repair power. For just 1, but 3 hit us so it took longer about 3 months. Some people that were hit by the first Hurricane in August didn't get power on till October.

LA, MI are totally devasted so it will take at minimum 3-4 Months for Power.
Plus you need to consider rebuilding all the houses, and Offices that are flooded. So power might not be back till Christmas.

Storm Names:
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutnames.shtml

There is no Carey from now till 2010.

I've read that it's not yet clear if people will ever live in New Orleans again. Maybe it will be impossible to build the whole city up again. Perhaps New Orleans is only the first city of a series of "New Atlantis" cities. ;) Nature strikes back.

Its really horrible that so many are suffering. Our school is doing something or nother to help out. Bringing in food and medicine- things to help. I hadn't heard that New Orleans may not be lived in again. Has anyone heard anything about the French Quarters and if its ruined or not? Last I watched it was OK but water was still rising. That was about 2 days ago so I think my info is a little outdated.Also, does anyone know what Bush is planning on doing to help releif effort and stuff? Like bring a few troops home to help? I think a few can be spared, ya know?Oooh. I saw something in Time about global warming playing part of the destruction. Something to do with warm air fueling hurricanes.

When i first heard it on the news during the morning before i went to school, i was actually numb with shock because I've just been studying about the worst natural disaster of U.S. History during the 19s i think, and now they're talking about how Hurricane Katrina might be the worst one since that day. It's just so tragic. In science terms, i would say that we're actually causing this because of Global warming, but alot of religious people say that god is punishing us. Either 2, i can believe myself that there has been MORE quakes, tsunamis and hurricanes these past few years than ever before. I don't think its coincidence at all. I really pity those New Orlean people, I'm not being sadistic but if death comes fast for the trapped people under houses or buildings then it might have been easier than surviving through the horror hanging on to a tree or something and then being rescued and find out your whole house and family is gone. Isn't this devastating? My school is taking in students affected by the Hurricane because these students still deserve an education. I think this is very kind-hearted of the county, i hope the students enjoy every bit of their stay here studying...

OMG... I had no idea it was so bad.

Source:Here

In addition to the devastation caused by the hurricane, residents have to cope with looters and smugglers ;). Can't blame them though, they're in just as much of a mess as everyone else. Just have to pray and hope for the best.

Sorry for those that had called new orleans home. they were warned to leave town before the storm hit. some of them refused to leave even thought they had cars. those that had no cars the poor could of gone to stronger and high ground areas such as the hotels, buisness and such to ride out the storm. But those that breacking into banks atm machines and robing and raping. Good thing Im not in law inforcement I would have to just shoot to kill. In times as this we have to be tough on the lawless. those that are stealing food from the restraunts gas stations and stores to feed their love ones I would give them a hand. Yet the town needs to be bured and the ground raised up almost 40 feet. Look what happened to galavaston over a hundred years ago. It was wiped out by a hurracain and they were at sea leavel to maybe 3 feet above then they brought in sand and dirt and built up the town I belive 20ft above sea level now. And in Japan there is a town that buid a sea wall almost a hundred feet tall and from mountain to mountain to keep hurracan flood waters out. Ive taken in four familys from New Orleans from the company I work for In texas and my emplorer has agreed to but them to work. And to help me take care of them. And get this they offered to bring there neighbors out but they had no car and they said no thanks we are going to stay and have a party as it comes in. Now they maybe are the ones robbing and crying for help. I know I will get chastyed for this comment. I was seeing a black man busting down a glass reinforces bank door. I wonder what he wanted. Surly not to eat the dough.

Hopefully they can restore order down there, because I saw that the looting was getting crazy. I've seen footage on TV of people lighting fires in buildings, stealing goods, throwing bricks through windows and stuff like that. I also heard that the cleanup might actually take a decade! ;)

yes the damage was bad and everything, but where was the national guard during all of this? oh right they are in iraq instead of preparing the coast for what the meteorogists SAID would hit.... i guess bush was too busy on vacation to notice.

Hurricane Katrina has gone and made a lot of people's lives miserable. In fact, this hurricane was even more massive and devastating than the one that hit OpaQue's home in Mungai. I'm surprised it took a disaster THIS destructive to divert the media's attention from everyone else lives to something that's happening elsewhere. Instead of sitting on your couch watching people gripe about rape in the Superdome, you can actually help out! Donations to the Red Cross would be the best way to make use of your money. Most other charities just garner your sympathies and take advantage of your stupidity. It has even got to the point that most people who sell lemonade in shopping outlets just tell you the money is going to Hurricane Katrina victims and actually hog the dough for themselves. You can do some research and find out what you know. So far, the Red Cross and the Salvation Army points out as honest and straightforward.