xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

How To Speed Up My Downloads?

Hey any of u know any program that could kind of "speed up my downloads" something like IDA (Internet Downlaod Accelerator) which i am currently using right now. Does anyone know a better one or suggest me some other download accelerator which u guys are currently using..?

Edited by microscopic^earthling (see edit history)

I use a fast internet connection.I make sure the site I am downloading from is not slow, which most are so I look for a Mirror.Checking your firewall and making sure it does not block your download or limit your speed.

for windows there is a program called Free Download Manager. Its awsome. Essentially it opens up 4 streams of downlaods ..(by making 4 parts of what u r downloading..simultaneoulsy..u can set it to downloads more parts as well) It is Free and very stable and has alot of rich features.For Linux I have yet to find a similar thing. I normally use KGet (KDE downloader) and wget (console based downloader) They dont speed up any thing , but are reliable

I'd suggest the software FlashGet.I believe you can search for it on Downloads.com. It's freeware, I think. If you use the Firefox browser, you can download a plugin called FlashGot for your browser.

How are you currently making your downloads ? If you have do download several files (a Linux distro for instance) and if you are downloading from a ftp fileserver, and if your computer is a Microsoft Windows one, I suggest using FileZilla. FileZilla downloads several files at the same time, which uses the whole bandwidth of your internet connection.Hope this helped Yordan

For Linux, go with ProzGUI or ProZilla... It's really good. It open simultaneous streams from the same site and it also resumes downloads. I had some problems when I was installing in Mandrake 10.1 , but in Slackware 10.1, it was no problems at all. I think it needs the nCurses library or something. I guess it would be better if you check out at their site:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Hope that helps you out ;).
Cheers.

Use Download Acclerator Pro, which even in its free version is extremely fast snf the new 7.5 update has extra tweaks for maximizing broadband connection throughput. you can set it to use minimal, balanced or full bandwidth. it will resume, download from multiple sources, preview, etc. all in all a great download manager. even the ads aren't too bad, still light on the bandwidth. or the paid version which has even more features, plus no ads.

Well for Windows I would suggest FileZilla which downloads much faster, also if you want to speed up your downloads, you could use a proxy, but only if it will help you, a lot of proxies can slow down your connection. :huh:

Surprisingly, I found that if do a spy sweep of my computer, delete temporary files and condense my hard rive a bit goes a long way in speeding up downloading time. But that is just the basics. I have a fast internet connection and a lot of the times it is not your downloading speed but the server’s capability that is limiting your speed.

Use any of the download managers mentioned above, but remember the basic points;1. Keep only one active downloads. Since this reduces the strain on your network.2. Enable segment spitting. i.e. downloading by parts3. If there are mirrors present then enter them and check the server speeds. Use the fastest one. Usually speeds such as 120 % are shown in Free Download Manager, if the servers are free.4. Use HTTP mode it available5. Make your Download Manager recognize you as some thing else other than a browser or download managers name, usually busy servers limit browser and download managers speed.