xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

FTP Software, What Do You Use?

I think you can't see .htaccess file because it is a hidden file, all the files which start with a dot * is usually a hidden file, for example .backup;.temp; so maybe you need to use some kind of option if it is available to show hidden files. :)

I have been around the block a few times and my current and all time favorite is FileZilla. The best part is it works well and it’s free.I have also tried the FileZilla Server but I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone because its still in beta and the late time I downloaded it had major bugs. I am currently using Serv-U as my server.

What ftp software do u use? im dying to find out which is best.

I use CuteFtp, it's very complete but sometimes -especially with big files- looses the connection, right now i'm testing a new one called FreshFtp 3.40, is very quick and also it is free :) take a look at: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

It supports multithreading for simultaneous transfer, file and directory upload, resume, and more. This software is 100% free, no charge, no spyware.

Best regards,
Edited by TavoxPeru (see edit history)

I think you can't see .htaccess file because it is a hidden file, all the files which start with a dot * is usually a hidden file, for example .backup;.temp; so maybe you need to use some kind of option if it is available to show hidden files. :)

Yes, files with other extensions (and no extensions) are hidden.

Is this because of the FTP program? Or because of the server?

Gin

Yes, files with other extensions (and no extensions) are hidden.
Is this because of the FTP program? Or because of the server?

Gin

Its because of the server, however i always see this hidden files with my ftp client.

Best regards,

Well, i usually use SmartFTP because it's simple and easy to use, i also use CoreFTP which is good too. I don't use FileZilla so much more, but the times it didn't cause me trouble, it was good.

Edited by Sandriod (see edit history)

I assume that you mean an FTP client, not a server.I'm not sure that there's one that's best. You have to find one which suits your needs and tastes. I like WS_FTP Pro, mainly because the synchronization gadget is very flexible, and thus well suited both to making backups and to emergency restores. I also like having a pretty active user-to-user support list, as well as more conventional support.WS_FTP Pro is certainly not free for people who use it to maintain profit-making sites, and may not be free for anyone any more. If you have no strong preference, don't forget that there are a lot of free FTP clients around.

Notice from WeaponX:
Edited post...warning issued...

Core FTP Lite. It's free and gets the job done. I don't really use much of it rather than uploading/making changes, so I wouldn't know much of its features. I think besides that one Cute FTP is also another good one, except my trial had ended and didn't bother to look for a full version online.