xisto Community
TheJeffsta

Terabyte Storage

This one only has 80gb and a family of four has taken 4 years to 2/3 fill it.Even with a full house wide music and dvd collection like we are planning, we won't need anywhere near multiple HDs. If 11 days of music is under 14GB, how full can a 1Tb hard drive get full enough movies for a month?

a 1 Terabyte drive for home computers....lol...thats insane. Think of all the spyware and malware that could be uploaded to a home computer at that point. Besides what would the average late night, websurfer do with that much data storage....hmmmm
Warz, Warz, and more Warz?

having a 1TB hard drive IS insane for an average late night websurfer, but to those PC gamers who want to play games that store up 3GB each is a good thing. Not everyone who uses computers need that much hard disk space but there are those who do. I myself has only 10GB hard drive (which is even more sad to the guy who has 20GB) and I have backed up softwares that still need to be installed.

besides, wouldn't it be possible to have 4 250GB hard drives inside a tower? Or 2 500GB hard drives. Then you have a 1TB Hard drive.

but to those PC gamers who want to play games that store up 3GB each is a good thing.

OK, I think if you have money enough and buy about 300 PC games from the next store, they will give you three 300 gig disks for free.And I'm curious to see if your boss will see you often in your office if you have this playing power home.

Where I used to work we had 3 editing bays, each one had between 1.2 and 3TB of Xserve Raid systems with fiber link cards to PowerMacs for 500MB/s optical transfers. Then the animators had about 2.5 TB of storage on their system. Granted that was closer to 1.2TB of storage and 1.2TB of back up. When I left, they were in the process of debating what the next addition would be and I think it was around 11TB for video and audio projects. My home set up on my PowerMac 4x160GB (Dual G4) and then 250GB on my G5 tower (dual core 2.5Ghz G5). I also have 3 firewire 160GB external HDD's I use with my laptop to shoot and capture video to while I'm on the road. Again I'm in video production and that just eats HDD space.

Wow!!!!!That would be kick *bottom* to a whole new level for backing up, and then you can just unplug it and leave it alone until you need something from it or to whack something onto it.I wonder about the hefty price that most likely follows it though lol.