xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
prosorcerer

Which CPU Is Better? AMD Or Intel

ok...you guys are comparing AMD's and Intel's CPU in two different fields, gaming and business.

I wonder to know, which is better for a studnet who is studenting computer graphic??

3DMax, photoshop are used frequently, and writing program with OpgeGL.

Would 64bit CPU have better preformance (compare to 32bit) when those kinds of software are used??

1064316201[/snapback]

Well, for computer graphics, you want to get yourself a Macintosh :) (sorry, couldn't resist...).

Seriously, at that point, many other things become more important than the processor itself, in particular, the video card, bus speed, and RAM speed. That is why Macs were able to continue to hold an edge with the G4 processor even when its clock speed was falling behind the rest of the market- the whole system was optimized for graphics work, not just the CPU. Software can be a limiting factor as well. Many very good boards have been saddled by poor drivers and bad application support.

In the same way, when choosing between an Intel and AMD CPU, you want to look for motherboards and chipsets that will do what you want and choose the processor which goes with that board. You want to make sure that your bandwidth from memory to CPU to graphics card is as high as it can be. Hit the library, start reading magazine reviews, and look at various online benchmarks. This is something which changes all of the time as the various manufacturers bring out new products and update old ones. Look at reviews where they try to perform real world tasks; don't just look at manufacturer specs. As I said, poor software support can make good hardware unusable. When you want to buy, choose a *combination* which works for you.

And, seriously, you might consider looking at a Macintosh. Much of the graphics editing world still uses them and will probably continue to do so since Apple does a lot to cater to them. I have used both and there are reasons to go either way, but it is worth thinking about.

Last benchmarks I looked at for high end AMD and Intel processors showed that AMD has the obvious advantage in terms of speed/$, max speed, and speed/heat output.That being said, Intel's notebook chips are fantastic. For a desktop, AMD is the clear choice under most circumstances, but in a laptop I would take Intel.As for the Mac, they just put out their dual core, dual CPU powermac. (That means a 4way CPU grid). I am sure that is fast as hell. And yeah, for graphics, and general productivity, Macs are great.

Errrr...  You change one thing on the computer and all the benchmarks turn in the others favor...  Just stick with your favorite and try to configure the PC as best as you can.

1064326799[/snapback]

Which is why you keep everything except the CPU the same, or as close as possible, and repeat using multiple variations of matched hardware. My comment about AMD stands.

Not like I care, I like my Mac, and computers are so fast these days that it has basically stopped mattering.

I am afraid you're kinda outdated frog , amd recently launched " AMD Turion 64 processor " featured in many HP laptops already ...AMD Turion 64 mobile technology is designed to be the most advanced family of 32- and 64-bit Windows® - compatible processors available for mobile PCs, allowing the freedom to work, relax and play virtually anywhere, anytimeand it's taking the centrino/Pentium D or whatever intel call it by STORM

Which is why you keep everything except the CPU the same, or as close as possible, and repeat using multiple variations of matched hardware.  My comment about AMD stands.

1064326806[/snapback]

But what if you want a different video card, memory, or hard drive? Things like that can make a difference in the performance. When you change parts like that the benchmarks could flip over into the others favor. Unless you want to clone the benchmark computer but come on... Who would want to do that? They usually use some mediocre computer for most of the tests. You really can't tell which will be best for you from their tests. You need to choose the best one for your configuration and not theirs... But I doubt any of us are experts so you should just try to configure you computer as best you can. That's what I mean, get it?

I have been a 100% AMD man for years.Every machine I have is AMD except for my Opteron Server.I got a really good price on it :).I understand that the Intel chips are a little faster for doing graphicdesign, but for gaming the AMD's are faster.ViriiGuy

Not always... I've seen some benchmarks and it seems like the processors can't be categorized as better for gaming. In the benchmarks I saw the Pentium processor was beating the AMD in half the tests. I forget what Pentium it was and which AMD X2 it was but the AMD came out costing way more and it was only a little better. They weren’t even using the best DDR2 ram for the Pentium processor either. If the Pentium processor was using 800MHZ instead of 533MHZ who knows how the results would have turned out. My point is that you can't choose one in general...

This thread will probably go to infinity and beyond because as we all know this is a battle that has been ongoing ever since AMD broke out and started competing with Intel. Me personally, I just like the fact that AMD is around to keep Intel in check with their prices. Not to mention the fact that they are really giving Intel a run for their money with the performance of processors today. I mean they got balls to release a line of 64 bit processors and cut Intel off at the chase. I think Intel may have the edge on true processoing power, and this will always be a factor when people make that important decision of buying a processor. One of AMD's major faults is probably their cooling. Everyone knows that they have had some problems in the past with processors overheating. But, as I said earlier the pricing that AMD holds is what made me buy my first AMD processor and has had me buying them ever since. They both have goods and bads and it seems the differences between the two are getting less and less as time goes by. All I can say is choose wisely Obi Wan and may the force be with you!

This thread will probably go to infinity and beyond because as we all know this is a battle that has been ongoing ever since AMD broke out and started competing with Intel.

Notice from jipman:

Not if I am around :), seriously, everything that can be discussed about has been discussed already and the use of this topic is nil.

Unless another moderator opens this one up again, this one is CLOSED untill further notice

What do you suggest I buy?amd 64 x2 6000+ 3.0ghz 2x1mb cache or the intel core to duo e6850 3.0ghz 4mb cachethe amd is 50 quid cheaper and I want something that will be easily upgradeable

I'm trying to decide what computer to buy.  Most things I've read tend to say that AMD processors are just as good as Intel, just cheaper.  I need a computer for school but I also need it to be good for all the photo and video editing software I use (I make wedding videos).  Any suggestions? Any comments would be appreciated :) Thanks.

-question by greenthumb22

There is a little difference between amd and Intel processors. Actually if u r buying a laptop for gaming and fun related purpose then amd is the best but Intel is good in corporate purpose..

Intel & AMD ProcessorWhich CPU Is Better? AMD Or Intel

Here I am using a old PC but not too old

The Config is 

AMD amd Athlon Dual Core 2

* Processor speed 2.5 Ghz 3800+

* RAM DDR 1GB

* Nvidia 8500GT 512MB 

* 500GB Segate Sata

* 19" View Sonic LCD Monitor

The above is my config I play a Test Drive Unlimited and Crysis@Meduim setting the games running smoothly no problem

But  the Intel

* Processor Core 2 duo 4800+

* Ram  DDR 2 4GB

* Nvidia 8500GT 512 MB

* 1.5 TB HDD

* 20" View Sonic LCD Monitor

The above Intel config I play a crysis and test drive unlimited but I get aPoor performance and the games not running smoothly...

Always the AMD is rock when compare to Intel AMD is un beatable