xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
prosorcerer

Which CPU Is Better? AMD Or Intel

The general consensus is that AMD makes better CPUs than Intel. Sadly, you can't just swap out an Intel chip for an AMD chip on your motherboard. You'll need a whole new motherboard that has a place that an AMD CPU can plug into. So I wouldn't reccomend immediately switching to an AMD CPU, but you should remember the fact that AMD makes the better chip when it comes time to buy your new computer.

It's this question again LOL. As you probably know, or will find out, there will be many different views on this. Some say AMD, others say Intel.I say either one will do, but if you want to save money, go with AMD instead. They make just as good chips, or better according to madcrow, as Intel. From what I found, some will play certain games better than the other counterpart. Like Doom 3 and Half-Life 2. One of the CPU runs Doom 3 better than the other, and the other CPU is better for Half-Life 2.If you ask me, it's really all in the name. Basically these two are going head to head with each other now competing to be #1.

Just to add a bit more on WeaponX in terms of gaming i think almost all forums favor AMD more for being the "gaming chip" and Intel is more the business type multi tasking cpu. Im sure if you did a survey here at Xisto for the gamers ( i assume thats wat u r into) have in their machines, AMD will come out on top. Countless number of AMD 's adverts are aimed directly at gamers aswell so they boast about it and i have not seen this met by Intel.So i will have to disagree on the "its really all in the name" :)

Overall, AMD gives you more computing bang for your buck. That said, there are important architextural differences that may, or may not, be relevant for what you want to do. If its gaming, go AMD. If its business apps, go Intel for hyperthreading, because that can make a noticeable difference. If its lower power/noise, go intel and get a Pentium-M and a desktop chipset adapter.

ok...you guys are comparing AMD's and Intel's CPU in two different fields, gaming and business.I wonder to know, which is better for a studnet who is studenting computer graphic??3DMax, photoshop are used frequently, and writing program with OpgeGL.Would 64bit CPU have better preformance (compare to 32bit) when those kinds of software are used??

AMD proccerors are faster they get better performance and have a higher stabibility rate. my oppinoin is yes change to an amd especially if yuo are running game and stuff like that. Intel proccesors are ment to run word doc and windows files not to run games and orther high graphic apps. so in my opinoin id change <----sorry for the spelling mistakes

If you consider that a AMD 64 clocked at 2,8 Ghz outperforms a 3 Ghz Pentium 4 HyperThreading, it's easy to see that AMD has more performance/megahertz -> Amd is better.

They're the same thing. However, if you really want to switch to an AMD, you'll need a new motherboard and a new chip. My old AMD computer crashes alot, and i would suggest that you stick with Intel.

Ever since I computer (2-3 years ago) I had an AMD 64 I can garentee that it is one of the most stable running CPU's there are, (I hate intel) all my computers had intell befor I bought the AMD and the intel would burn out, die out, or somthing would just be bugged in it, because of that I don't really think there is any other way to go other than intel.

stick to intel, i heard from my friend that amd crashes a lot, and it will shut it self down when its over heated. don't know if thats true but i'm sticking with intel

Hrmmm... well im not sure what you are talking about here. Correct me if I am wrong, but I'm almost certain that intel processors run a lot hotter than AMD. The problem with intel is that the processors do not perform as many calculations per clock cycle and so to compensate, they ramp up the speed of the processor to get in more cycles. AMD take a slightly different approach, their chips perform more calculations per cycle and as a result do not produce as much heat as the intel chips.

I have a AMD 4800+ (Dual core) processor in my computer. This chip is so fast for using with 3ds Max, its not funny. One person mentioned before that the intel chips are better for multitasking, but now with the AMD dual-core chips, the tables have turned and the AMD chips are now better for multitasking and gaming. Not only are the amd dual core processors faster than the intel ones, they dont run as hot as them.

If you are going to be using programs such as 3ds Max, then I would suggest getting yourself a nice 3d card to go with it. You will need it for rendering, unless of course you are a very patient person!

and it will shut it self down when its over heated.

This is a GOOD thing, better a shutdown that a burnout.

His problem is with overheating.

He wither did not fit the heat sink correctly, did not use themral paste, overclocked, or simply does not use adiquate cooling.

WOW... dual core 4800+

NICE !

and i thought my Amd64 3400+ was fast !!

id love to link afew of those in a cluster !

id love to link afew of those in a cluster !

man you want to talk near home super computing...lol.

if you do that I'll want to come visit and see it in action man that would be a real dream come true for me. Imagin using 3d studio max on a machine running 2 4800+'s with 3 gigs of ram per core and dual Radion 9800's...ohhh rendering heaven....

oh...forgot to mention on my last post. AMD rules Intel right now....time for intel to make a move or lose the market....

Notice from qwijibow:
merged your 2 posts :D