xisto Community
marmaduke29

I'm Looking For A Free Virus Scanner spyware and virus protector

after that u wll need to download crack to this program or licensy Key form sites like XXXX.comP.S. i donno about it will be under law or not but internet is Open Soruce!!!

Sorry, Aka_Bar, read the rules. Here are only honest people, no one uses cracks.
By the way, you seem not to know what is OpenSource.
A program is OpenSource if the author allows anyone to use it's source. If on my site I put a program I wrote by myself, with an OpenSource readme.txt, it's usable by anyone. If on my site I put a warnint "You must pay a licence for using this software", like Microsoft puts ont it's CD's, it's not OpenSource, even if you find such a CD on the Internet. If you install a program, and the downloaded program says "you must have a legit licence you have paid for it", then this program is not OpenSource, and you cannot use it without paying it.
I love one well-known ftp client, after the trial time it says "the 30 days trial period is finished ; if you are a student you may continue using this program ; if you are not a student you must purchase this program". That's a smart way of explaining things.
So, every program claiming "my software is free" can be legally used. Any program saying "you must have purchased this software" is used against the law if you did not pay it.
Sorry for having been so long, but sometimes things have to be told clearly. Some persons write down programs for their own pleasure and want to share them with otther people, this is called OpenSource.
Some other people try to sell the work they did, they need this money for having food, you should not use their programs if you don't want to pay them.
If you want to use AVGFREE, it's OK. If you want to use the paid version of AVG without paying it, it's illegal. It's as simple as that.

I suggest to read this document: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ . It's a comparison of (non freeware, but if there are freeware version, they'll probably perform almost alike) virus scanners. It seems like Avast isn't as good as I had expected it to be, but I'm still happy about it (I hardly need a virusscanner, I don't visit 'bad' website, I don't have spam in my downloaded mails and I don't use Internet Explorer).

I use Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE Personal, Spybot and AVG together. I can not comment on how good they are, however.

I usually use a combination of AVG and Lavasoft together. Spybot is an unbelievable program, but it does eat up a load of system resources. If your system is powerful enough, I would definetely slam on spybot as well, otherwise AVG and Lavasoft will pull off the job for you.

AVG and clamwin are what I recommend. AVG is great if you install it, clamwin is better if you want to run it from a usb key to scan systems before you use them in places like libraries, etc. You probably won't have access to fix the infection, but it can tip you off to pick a different machine.

AVG and clamwin are what I recommend. AVG is great if you install it, clamwin is better if you want to run it from a usb key to scan systems before you use them in places like libraries, etc. You probably won't have access to fix the infection, but it can tip you off to pick a different machine.

Thanks for the info on portable clamwin. I just tried it, I love the way it's installed on your USB stick and run from there. So, before using your stick you can scan the memory of your friend's computer, it's nicely safe.
I find it rather slow, compared to other things like McAfee or Norton, but I like the idea of running from an USB disk or from a CD.
Edited by yordan (see edit history)

Thanks for the info on portable clamwin. I just tried it, I love the way it's installed on your USB stick and run from there. So, before using your stick you can scan the memory of your friend's computer, it's nicely safe. I find it rather slow, compared to other things like McAfee or Norton, but I like the idea of running from an USB disk or from a CD.

I wouldn't run it from a CD...it prevents you from updating the virus definitions and leaves you with just the heuristic scanning engine.

I wouldn't run it from a CD...it prevents you from updating the virus definitions and leaves you with just the heuristic scanning engine.

You're partly right. The trick is on their website, for people having their own all-purpose CD in their pocket. The interest of a CD is that usually it cannot be contaminated by viruses.So, the trick is that way : you have portable clamwin on your CD, you copy the files to your friend's hard disk (a small folder, this goes fast), you run it from this folder. If the definition file has to be uploaded, it's uploaded on the disk. When you finish your work, you wipe off the directory, or you leave it for your friend if he is convinced by clamwin.

I use McAfee , it is very good one and Nod32 is very good too !McAfee , is freeware .

Mc Afee is not freeware. You have to pay for a one-year licence. As usual you can try it for free during one month, then you have to pay for it.