xisto Community
Salamander

Foxit Pdf Reader: Freeware Replacement For Adobe Why do we use fat and slow software ?

Get bored about time to wait while loading Acrobat Reader 6 ?

There is an efficient tool, and this is a freeware.

As we know, Acrobat Reader takes 16 Mo on a hard drive, and take a "certain time" to be ready (ie we wait a lot when it starts ! That's because this software loads, while starting, a great sum of modules -wich are not really usefull usually !-).

Then,while surfing on the net, i found this site, https://www.foxitsoftware.com/ and Foxit PDF Reader (freeware).

And what a surprise : this one do the same as Acrobat Reader 6, go really faster, and take only 2 mo on your harddisk !!!

Then, here you are, here is the link to download it ;-) go to the end of the page, and click "download"...

Edited by microscopic^earthling (see edit history)

I have installed adobw, it's very good software, i don't care about the space on my harddrive, but for some of us, this could be a very usefull option.

I might check it out, the space it takes is irrelevant to me, as probably most people nowadays with the size of HDD's as high as they are now...but if it actually loads much faster and has nearly as many fatures it could be worth checking into

Adobe is extremely reliable (except I did corrupt the entire program once and had to reinstall it...but that wasn't my or adobes fault haha) but I do agree that its startup time leaves something to be desired especially on lower end hardware. At home its fine since I have a fairly speedy rig but at work here the comp I'm on is kind of mid-low level so it could use a speedier pdf viewer since I have to use pdf files all the time lately.

After reading this post I have downloaded it , used it for 5 minutes and uninstalled it. Why????Because I have compared the page quality of both Adobe and Foxit . The pdf page quality displayed by foxit was very bad. Sometimes it was unable to read the page.So I am stick with Adobe Reader.

Adobe updatesFoxit Pdf Reader: Freeware Replacement For AdobeI extremely dislike programs that don't let you know they are doing more than what they are supposed to do, IE; loading in memory an updater that simply takes up space. It's not like Adobe updates their reader every 5 minutes... I can certainly remember to occasionally check for updates (which, I assume, is NOT a life or death situation and I can live with a day or three with an non-updated version).

I prefer Foxit Reader over Adobe Reader any day. I know Google Chrome has its own PDF reader built in to the browser which works fairly well for most applications of PDF files (though it didn't work to fill out forms for applying for scholarships). Also there is the Foxit Enterprise Reader, it is also free for businesses, although I really don't see why Foxit Reader can't be used in a corporate environment (except for the licencing of course).I really do not like Adobe's background updater process, nor do I like the updater itself. And it seems to make Internet Explorer launch very slow in the event that I use Internet Explorer. CNET Download.com also recommends Foxit over Adobe.

I prefer Foxit Reader over Adobe Reader any day...

agree totally, i've used it for over few years now! Foxit Reader is light and slick... it's got plugins for most browsers now (including Firefox and Opera)

Foxit Reader is one of the first aps i install when installing Windows on any system

Adobe reader is buggy and it takes a lot of resources on windows machine. Also the update runs no matter what settings is set on the preferences. I have disabled the updated in the settings but somehow the updater runs on it' own. Adobe reader also has issues with the firefox machine and it becomes extremely slow when we load the pdf from the browser.I don't know how pdf documents less than 1 mB takes more resources on chrome and firefox for windows. I guess adobe is all for making the buggy apps, no matter which ever the version or the platform they have running. For this reason i have disabled the adobe reader on my machine. I have installed foxit and one more freeware adobe pdf reader. On ubuntu i dont know which pdf reader is running and how it supports chrome. But that is what running on my laptop that has ubuntu. I think foxit is much light on the system and eats less resource compared to adobe pdf reader.My usage is going to with foxit from now on atleast until adobe fixes their buggy software, makes it more small in footprint.