xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Cookiemonster1405241499

ASP Or PHP: Which Is More Powerful ? what do you thinks more powerfull

Who is the winner... PHP

Why? PHP runs on the solid linux(unix) servers and ASP and only be runned (fully supported) on windows server.

Well you can easily find a thread about Windows vs. Linux.

Another thing is that it's very hard to find free ASP servers.

Well i doubt that we can really answer the question who 'the winner is'. As far as I understand it, ASP and ASP.NET go further than PHP. You can use programming languages like C# and VB.Net inside ASP.NET as a whole, so you can programm real applications and let them run online on your website. The language ASP.NET itself is free, and Microsoft's ASP.NET Webmatrix editor is also for free.

If you're looking for other server software than Microsoft's Internet Information Server, try out the Cassini Webserver, nice and small and free. I would lso like to mention the Mono project. It's an open source framework for .NET applications.
/

If you compare PHP with ASP than their can be a debate that which is better. Some will favour PHP and some ASP. But don't even think to compare ASP.NET to PHP. ASP.NET is the one of best thing developed by Microsoft. You can make a website in just half the time you give to make it in PHP/ASP. It is fully object oriendted platform. And the one of best thing is that because the framework is same converting your web application from desktop application and vice versa is very easy.

I use php a lot for all my websites. It's easy to use, has down-to-earth syntax, and it's relativly easy to learn. It also can be easily combined with MySQL to create great dynamic websites. On the other hand, I've never actually used ASP, but it's Microsoft technology, so therefore, it can't be that great. And if I'm not mistaken, you use C or C sharp to program ASP B) . As you can see, I personally like php much better.

For me, I would say that PHP scripting is much more efficient and useful than ASP scripting. This is partly because most hosts use PHP scripting rather than ASP, therefore it is more well known. I do not know much about ASP scripting so could someone please give me a website that explains all about it? Thanks. B)

I'm programming in PHP for 2 years now. I've tried ASP in the beginning , but didn't like it's syntax and instalation was a bit confiusing for a novice. Now if you are choosing - choose PHP. Just a comparison - you've got 40% (or more) more documentation and tutorials for PHP than ASP. It's easier to start doing something, writing the random script. Also - the security - linux is more secure that Windows. It's a proven fact. Also the speed of execution is faster on linux than on windows. Of course there is always the Mono project, ASP for Linux as I like to call it. Also, you've seen all the search engine friendly urls, those can work with Apache (free), but also can work on IIS but you have to BUY the module. If you want to use PHP or ASP for your site with written scripts, you can find more quality and free php scripts (Mambo, phpBB, XOOPS, Wordpress..) than for ASP.. I agree that ASP.Net is the best this Microsoft has done to date, all-in-one framework. My friend is a ASP programmer, and he show me the good things of this framework, I was suprised.

ASP comes with IIS, so I don't understand why web hosts don't give it out. Unlike PHP, you don't need to download and configure it. With IIS, all you need to do is install it and there it goes.

As for the argument between PHP and ASP, both have their rewards and problems.

PHP:

It has loads of differenlty functions, variables, conditions etc making it one of the best well rounded languages to code almost anything in. However, because of the sheer size of functions and such available, it takes quite a while to learn. I am still only figuring out the basics and it has been three weeks of trial and error.

ASP:

While not as large in functions and such as PHP, the core functions allow it to often computer quicker and more accurate feedbacks. It's predfining variables and various formats gives it the more rounded approach. There are currently three forms of ASP: VBscript ASP, Javascript ASP and the other one that I can never remember.

I'm kind of impartial, but for right now I do prefer PHP. This is only because I've only really programmed (scripted) in php. So far, it's been very similiar to c++ except for all the different mysql functions. Seems like there's a function for everything. Now that php5 has OOP it's becoming more and more useful and reusable.

Let's see:Price: PHP is better than ASP. Here is no discussion. Free is cheaper than asp, no matter version nor anything.Power: PHP tends to be smarter than ASP. I'm not sure about that, butI've experience in both languages and I've found PHP lets me atac any need by its root and solve the problem quickly and efficiently. With ASP, you have to write very strange code if you attempt to do something complex.Ease: you've been saying that php is easier for those used to C/C++, and ASP is better if you are used to Visual Basic... since C & C++ are far better than ms' basic thing, this is a point for php.I've seen that some say something about Object Orientation... this is what I think: if you actually need Object Orientation, forget ASP and PHP and go Java.The secret of any good technic is to know wich tool applies to each task :)Greetings,Herenvardö

In my experience, PHP is by far easier. It has way better documentation and it is free. I can't speak to the really heavy backend part, but as far as inserting into a database, pulling it back out, it is pretty easy.Plus there seems to be a great community of people willing to help build it up. Plus, did we mention it is free???-Katie

i always thought PHP was more easier and powerfull than asp, active server pages but what is PHP stand for. I want to learn PHP as i heard its the best script to make a site in.

Any advise people

Notice from m^e:
Once again your primary question is about PHP and learning PHP and you've posted it in ASP.NET section. Read the forum descriptions at least before you make a post.

1064309751[/snapback]

Always depends. For a personal/small site, PHP is the best choice. But if you're planing to build a large site or for commercial use, you should choose ASP.NET (not ordinary ASP). The tech is so great. High performance site require good technology. ASP.NET is the best choice.

@PureHeartReally? High performance sites require good technology, you said so yourself, so what would be better?Use ASP.NET which has a higher memory usage and is a tad slower than PHP.Use ASP.NET which also means you need to buy IIS, which with it's long long list of unsecurities might guarantee you a crash/hack at least once a day.This also means you need to run on Microsoft again.ORUse php which is:platform independant, you can run it on every kind of server with a wide range of supported OS'es. And therefor adaptive for every kind of hardware situation.Bottom line: Unless you work at a company that has a microsoft preference, it's quite dumb to use ASP.NET.ps. Most webservers run on.. Guess what? Linux, and guess what? ASP.NET doesn't run on that.... Hm....

Just got through masktaping my first PHP & MySQL reference book back together. I must say that it might not yet be as powerful (depending on what you mean by that) it is certainly well supported. Most all Forums or CMS sites use PHP and it is easy to find a host that supports it, so no matter how powerful something is if it is not supported by the majority of hosts then it is probably a good idea to use the more popular script.I have kinda looked at ASP but since it tends to be Microsoft only and not necessarily open source then using PHP is really the only way for me to go, why put all that stuuf on my machine then spend all the time to learn how to use it only to have difficulty in putting it into practice?