xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
soleimanian

How To Increase Windows Shutdown Speed when you enabled “clear Page File at shu

I think the most important part is not shutdown, it is booting up the machine.

xboxrulz

i will trade 10x increase in shutdown time for a fraction of boost from boot up time..

currently.. my boot speed from bios is 1 sec approx but windows boots the system for about 1 minute to 3 mins since it opens programs on the task system tray..

my shutdown speed is around 1min to 10mins.. depending on how many days the computer was on..

---

anyway on linux.. my boot speed is 10 secs.. 40 secs including the login screen which i always press ENTER key or tab key to go down the password field..

i wonder what takes windows to boot up and shutdown slower than my linux which have 3 times much more programs running..

By forcing the pagefile not be removed is bad for the following two reasons. The first is security, when you shut down, certain data stays on the system and is not removed. The second is that your system performs a little worse when pagefile is not cleaned. If you do clearn the page file you will have faster startup times.

there are many programs to boot and shutdown system fast but i think you must have a program to optomize all your system not just for fast shutdowndown yousystem like winxp manager or tuneup , by useing these programs you can make more

besides doing the regedit thing just uninstall unwanted programs and get some more RAMi mean i know what your talking about i had to reinstall win xp pro (then got vista) but before that it would take like 3-4 mins to shut down. and with windows it filles your ram then emptys it before shuting down thats what takes so long

1) Go to Start menu > Run > and type regedit and click OK.2) Find following address: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \Session Manager \ Memory Management
3) In right side right click on “ClearPageFileAtShutdown”, select Modify and make value of “1”, and Exit from Registry Editor and restart your Computer.

I always woundered why microsoft has all the warnings about "Never edit or register". I guess you could do all this work just to have your computer shut down faster. What I do is:
1. Close all open windows
2. Close all the tasks (in bottom right hand corner not in the task manager)
3. Press turn off computer.
If this takes to long odds are your hardrive is fragmented. This is easy to solve but can take most of a day to finish (luckly for you, you only need to set it up then wait). To do this simply start you computer up in safe mode. Do this by restarting you computer and pressing F8 (or the hotkey listed). Then go to local disk and safe mode (if it doesn't work try again). Now open up control panel (start-->control panel) and go to administrator settings (or tools). Click computer managment and disk defragment. Now you wait (can take up to 12 hours). It will annaliys your hardrive, the red is bad, the green is unmovable and the blue is good. Once your finished you computer will all go faster and have less errors.
I hope this helps,
Sparkx

Wanna shutdown in just 5-SecsJust press cntl+Alt+Del and then click on the shutdown tab....then keeping cntl key pressed click turn off.... Now count upto 5...and ur PC Shuts down....-Abhilash Kumar A.K.

haha i some of the things people suggested but nothing comes up better than just holding down the button to turn it off...safe?...probably not...effective?...definitly

My Start bar seems to disapear....

How To Increase Windows Shutdown Speed

Sometimes when I'm on IE, my start bar disapears then comes back a minute later.

Sometimes I get this message "Buffer overrun detected" and my background, desktop icons, some programs I was running and my start bar disapear.

Can someone please tell me why this is happening and how can I fix it (if there's even a way)?

Thanks!

-reply by Usagi Tsukino

Hey guys I was just wondering... For some reason when I turned off the "ClearPageFileAtShutdown" option, my vista turns off like in 10 seconds but when the value is set to "1", it takes like 2 minutes to shut down. Anybody knows why? and another questions: where can I get ACPI S3? anybody know?-reply by Aleksey

ClearPageFileAtShutdownHow To Increase Windows Shutdown Speed

Aside from it being a workaround for certain issues envolving hibernating with particular OS setups (as touched upon earlier in this string), clearing the 'swap' files as this discussion in part addresses, users of company computers who do not tweak the registry (as mentioned) are left open to more readily having their employers see exactly what you've been doing on their pc, almost as easy as simply looking at 'your' MRU list.

-reply by wguru

alot of programs can speed up pc if in xp goto vista or windows 7enjoy