xisto Community
nakulgupta

Pirated Software: Legalised For $1/Copy In Indonesia

Economics here: they are going to use the software legal or not. If illegal MS sees $0. $1>$0 therefore it's better than nothing. Where I goto Law school, the university has a deal with MS to where I can buy a copy for about $15 under their site licenses. I've known of folks that work for large companies being offered similar deals as well.

This is the first I've ever heard of any government using pirated software within it's system. Infact, wth my dealings with the government in India, selling software, these guys are a headache when it comes to keeping to the dotted line. Every software around would highly likely be liscensed and on the right side of the law. In fact with the amount of software the government has actually invested in developing, there's little doubt about the dependance on very large corporations for software (although a very high amount of computing is done on MS platforms).

Well two wrongs dont make a right! MS shouldn't be selling their software so cheap, especially if its pirated regardless of the reason. I understand their reasoning but its wrong and they dont need to be making more money!

Argh! So unfair! I suppose it's okay to offer this amnesty since Indonesia's not very wealthy.

Anyway, have you ever heard of people charged for acquiring pirated Windows? Because I haven't.

Haha, I don't have to question the credibilty of this post because there are many many exact articles on the Internet. I think you have to ues the

tags, though or admin will ban you. x(

just a way to m,ake sure that the next time if any windows os is brought ,it is legal and hence very good for ms as they have got some profit of places where they havent got it ealier ,either way if pirated copies would have continued they wouldnt have got any money ,but now they have atleast made sure that they would get it next time

I'm a little surprised that some people don't view governments as being in the money making business.Any government in any country consists of 2 components:- One that aims to confiscate as much money from its citizens as possible, via taxes, fines etc. This component is a very efficient, well-financed, well-oiled machine. I would venture to argue that this component of the Indonesian government can very well afford to purchase legal copies of Windows, even at $400 a piece.- The second component is the one in charge of pretending to provide services to the citizens to justify the existence of the first component. This component is chronically under-financed and extremely inefficient. I predict that this component of the Indonesian government will go back to using pirated copies of Windows as soon as they are forced to upgrade.

I'm an Indonesian and I will answer (from my point of view) why my gov uses pirated software :1. People in gov don't care about piracy, they just want their computers run well.2. Indonesia is a very rich country but most of resources are owned by other countries. So if our gov was granted $1 for each copy, it's a very little money, you don't need to be jealous :rolleyes:3. Piracy isn't really a problem here. There are still many people don't know what will their eat tomorrow because they don't have money. And the gov is focusing on that economic crisis.

Microsoft is like a drug pusher here...they give you the "goods" (and I use that term lightly) for cheap until you get hooked/standardize...then it's just waiting for the *bottom* rape from them. Once you have an infrastructure that requires windows, you'll be paying for it.Microsoft did this whole thing for the PR. I mean really, piracy isn't a problem when people don't know if they're going to be able to afford to eat on any given day, as mHelmy said.