xisto Community
nightfox1405241487

What's On Your Lan?

Here is an interesting question: What's on your LAN?

Mine has:

3 Laptops

1 Tower (currently awaiting new hardware so it really isn't on the LAN)

1 Printer

1 External USB Hard disk

1 Windows 95 computer acting as a storage server

Yes, that last item really does say Windows 95, lol. I get old computers from my school (well I have to bid on them) really cheap and I have nothing to do with them so why not use them as a network storage server! I have 5 more in my basement waiting to get configured for my network.

So let's hear what you have on your LAN....

1 Desktop (XP)

2 4U Servers Web, DNS, Mail, File Storage (2000)

1 Tower Server (2003)

1 Laptop (XP)

1 Network Printer (HP)

Cisco Router

Cisco Switch

Linksys WAP

Wireless Pocket PC (2003)

Kind of small list here:

P4 Desktop (yeah like it would fit on a desk)

Compaq P4 Laptop

Cable Modem

TiVo DVR / DVD-R/RW

Linksys WAP/ Router / Switch

Cannon Printer via Desktop

Soon to add:

PS2 (old one just needs an adapter)

Second Desktop

Second Printer

Out of ports, a second switch it looks like. :D

vujsa

This is kind of a big one!!464 Dell P4 desktops (XP)52 Dell & Compaq Laptops (XP)6 Dell Servers (Win Server 2003)17 3com wireless access points15 Allied Telesyn Switches26 Hp Laserjet network ready printers18 Promethean interactive whiteboardsI think thats it!!!

Well mine has been modified a lot during these couple of years. I currently have mine hooked up to Verizon FIOS (pretty FAST! :P)

(1) AMD Athlon 1Ghz for server

(7) Workstations

(4) Laptops

(2) Servers [i have a Dual Pentium 3 1Ghz for a FTP along with another Dual Pentium 3 1Ghz as a storage computer]

(2) Xboxes :(

(2) Dell PowerConnect 6024F Switches

(1) Dell Axim X50

Yeah I know my Duallies are slow, I'm trying to get rack up some money and get one of those dual opterons :(

The main router is hooked up to my computer (AMD Athlon63 3200+, XP) and my mother's (Prescott 3.0 GHz, 2000). Then, it's attached to a secondary router in the living room. Attached to that is my sister's computer (Williamette 1.5 GHz, XP) and my Dad's computer (also a 1.5 Ghz XP). Sometimes my Dad's laptop is also connected to the secondary router. We don't have wireless because there's no need for it and because my Dad's paranoid about security for some reason.

I must have the most boring LAN here. :( One machine running Win2K and one running Mandrake Linux. First one is Athlon 2600+ with 1Gb RAM other one is Pentium III 550 MHz with 184MB ram which handles the Linux surprisingly well.

Here goes....

Primary Server (Storage & Sharing): 3Ghz P4 running on Redhat Enterprise AS 3 - with 160GBx2 Raid 1

Web+DNS Server (configured and connected to the LAN but not serving WAN requests yet): Same 3Ghz P4 running on Fedora Core 3 - 80GBx2 Raid 1

Mail & FTP Server: Celeron 500 running RHEL AS 3

Workstations: Four 2.4 Ghz P4 for Development work (including mine)

Two DVD burners

One Brother Laser Printer (network enabled) + Two Epson inkjets

3Com 26 Port FDDI Gigabit Switch :( here comes the fun part - we threw away all the UTP based ethernet cards - my LAN's running on Fibre Optic now :( So all of them are FDDI based.

Lone UTP connection is between the switch and a stupid ADSL modem+router (which I'm going to get rid of very soon and replace it with a separate CISCO switch and broadband modem.

That's it I guess, for now... this LANs going to SPAN the street in front as soon as I get my own house right across the street... through FDDI of course :P

Here's mine:- 1 Pentium III 500 Mhz Midi Tower- 1 Celeron 733 Mhz Mini Desktop- 2 Compaq Proliant 1850R Servers 500 Mhz RAID- 1 Compaq Proliant 3000 Server 500 Mhz RAID (sounds like aeroplane)- 1 ADSL Modem Router - 1 Printer- 1 Laptop sometimesGreetingZ

The main router is hooked up to my computer (AMD Athlon63 3200+, XP) and my mother's (Prescott 3.0 GHz, 2000). Then, it's attached to a secondary router in the living room. Attached to that is my sister's computer (Williamette 1.5 GHz, XP) and my Dad's computer (also a 1.5 Ghz XP). Sometimes my Dad's laptop is also connected to the secondary router. We don't have wireless because there's no need for it and because my Dad's paranoid about  security for some reason.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lol

Two words... WEP Key! You want to know how I went about seeing how secure my wireless is? I took my laptop and went outside. Just kept walking until my laptop had no signal. Then I went back into range and walked in another direction and another. I found every point where the network is blacked out. I figured that my neighbors live far enough away that securing it was really pointless. But just incase (because I have important data) WEP key is enabled, although I wish my router had better encryption!

Anyway, soon I will be expanding my network to possibly one server and as soon as I can get out to CompUSA or someother store, I'll get my printer on it (currently requests have to come through my laptop :( )

[N]F

mine is urgly, ADSL modem + Wireless router, and two pc (one wired/one wireless) running xp and one PowerBook 15' (which I am using now), one epson printer connected to wired xp and shared (but I can't get my mac to print on it :P ) and btw a ps2 as well.