xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

Illegal Website I have found an illegal website and.....

I have found an illegal website and I want to report to the autorities but I do not know how. One of the website infected me with a virus and cost me USD 67 to fix my computer. I want to take revenge!MY EMAIL: ibnuasad(at)gmail.com

Well, obviously, if you know who hosts this site, you can report it to them and they'll close the sight if it really is illegal. If they run their own server its slightly more complicated though. You have to have a petition or something with a number of signatures before the authorities will actually listen to you where I am, but that may just be the crappy little place where I live. If the website only infected you with a virus, you don't really have a strong case against anything though.. It is very hard to prove that the website is there for the sole purpose of infecting its visitors, and they can always claim (and sometimes its actually true) that somebody else infected their site/server so it wasn't their fault in the first place.

Ok.. What the hell happened there.. Can a moderator or somebody please remove the repeated content? Thanks in advance.. Done :) When I hit edit it inserted it again so I think there may be a bug... - moonwitch

Edited by moonwitch (see edit history)

Well, you have to watch out. I don't really know if you can get them seeing as you (1) may have run the program yourself (2) it might not have done enough damage to your computer to be considered that bad (3) you may not have had to pay to get your computer fixed had you been a little more computer savvy. Dunno, just some thoughts. All I know is, as a malicious programmer, I think you're pretty safe as long as you don't cause data loss. So, anyway, good luck with that.

how did you find this illegal site? They just don't pop-up when you open google?some sites force you to install programs and there are trojans and worms embeded into the html code of their site. If there was a virus on your computer, why didn't your antivirus detect it?

I have found an illegal website and I want to report to the autorities but I do not know how. One of the website infected me with a virus and cost me USD 67 to fix my computer. I want to take revenge!

MY EMAIL: ibnuasad(at)gmail.com

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe you should have called it a dangerous website instead of an illegal website, if it were truly illegal then it probably wouldn't be there, there are websites that do "illegal" things or offer what would be considered illegal content, but as far as law goes I don't know of a site that has been prosecuted unless it were selling a product that was forbidden like human body parts or things of that nature.

You did not mention the website, and it might not have been the site itself, it may have been spyware or adware, and then it just so happened that you noticed it after visiting that site. Unless you went to a site and open it up and it said "Hello thanks for coming to this site, we are not going to infect your computer with a virus, after you have figured out how to fix it come back so we can do it again, Thanks and have a bad day! PS enjoy your free virus compliments of meanwebsite.com

Illegal is all about where the site is hosted. Many of the posts so far have assumed that the site is hosted on a server in the US. What if the server is in some far flung 3rd world country that have no laws, perhaps on purpose, on such illegal activities. Just as some countrys have laws that prohibit extradition to the US, there are some countrys that have systems setup to host "illegal" content in the hopes to gain profit. After the fall of the Russian system, many seedy and sometimes illegal subjects came from the mother land, but because of all the political turmoil there was not a darn thing you could do about it.In this case it is up to the user to sufficiantly police themselfs on where they go on the internet. If you are searching for warez on the net then you should be prepared to pay the price or be prepared by having you system armed to the teeth with the latest anti-virus and spyware checkers. Also when visiting those pesky warez sites turn your IE security setting to HIGH!In short I would have to say your just SOL. Consider this a 67 dollar lesson and have anti-virus installed next time.

Hi, My best suggestion is that if you've found an illegal website then why not report it officially to Microsoft. They have a great part to the website in which you can report cases like this. It would be a great tactical move, kind of like having the Special Air Service (S.A.S) on your side. They'll find out if the website is illegal, and if it is they will not only remove it, but confiscate that owners pc, contact several over agencies (ie:FBI) and most probably prosecute them, atleast that's how it's said to be. Hope it helps dude. Sean Webber militaryknowledge@hotmail.co.uk

This really depends on how your computer was infected. As said above, you typically have to run a program or accept a change in order for the virus to actually run. While there are laws about virus spreading (called malicious intent or something like that), I think it'll be pretty hard for anyone to prosecute this hoster. Why? Because you went to his server (as in the virus wasn't spread to your computer through other means). Chances are, it'll be a case of "you shouldn't have done that, learn from your mistakes." Maybe he'll get a slap on the wrist.