xisto Community
connectpal

Dialup On Wireless Network cant get this dial up connection shared

I just purchased a D-Link wireless router, a DI-524. On my computer i connect through dial up to the internet. I have been trying to figure out how to share this connection through the router, but i haven't been able to because the router is made to hook up to an external modem through a WAN port. If there is a way to share my connection through this router, please help me with how.

Sorry to say, I believe this cannot be done. Even if this can be done I doubt a dial-up modem can host more than one computer. If I just shattered your hopes I'm sorry. I will look into this more but my oppinion stands. Try google. It is the World's information guide.-Hope this helped

Did I understand correctly, you have a Wi-Fi router to which you connect with two or more computers and the router is connected to an external dial-up modem?The modem won't be able to acquire several IPs so the router needs to be using NAT. Have you tried it? If you have and it doesn't work, I don't belive the configuration will work.

You will need a DSL connection to have multiple computers connected to the internet at the same time using this setup.

But windows have the capability to share internet connection from one computer to others. One computer works as a gateway or router and connect to the internet. Then it shares the connection like a server host. The other computer or computers becomes the clients.

I donât know how well this works because I have never tried it.

Here are some links that may help.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us

What is your typical connection with dial-up?Are you satisfied with the speed of downloads and pages loading up?Then think of getting less than half that speed when you share with one other computer on that same connection.Sorry for all those who do not have DSL, but it is just plain truth. Sharing something slower, is just more frustration for all involved.Is there a reason you don't have DSL? I'm fortunate to have it myself.

Hello,This is not so very hard to do:You should have an internet connection that is fast enough for several computers.Don't attach anything to the WAN port of the router, only LAN ports. Then, make sure you are not running any firewalling software on the pc with the dailup connection or configure the firewall properly.Next, download some internet connection sharing software with NAT (you can do this with Windows XP, but I really don't like it, it doesn't work as good as other software packages in my oppinion), you can find this on google.Those package should enable the other computers to surf the net without any configuration on those computers. Minor configuration might be necessary on the dailup computer but that should be explained in the ICS-software manual.Ofcours, the disadvantage of this setup is that the dailup computer should alway be running for any other pc to access the internet. A better solution would be to just buy an modem with an ethernet interface...

Until I upgraded to Cable Internet, I did the same thing you are trying. YES, you can go thru the "Internet Connection Sharing" help files in your version of Windows... and after much fighting, configure your network to do the sharing of your Modem.The problem I had was touched on by other responses above... VERY slow downloading anything when more than one computer was trying to access the internet at the same time. In fact, some sites would actually "time out" the download speeds were so slow.However... it beats having NO connection to the internet... so ya takes what ya gets!From what I remember when I did this, I had to make sure that my router assigned "Static IP's" to the computer's connected to it. That was probably my trickiest part to setup. Once I managed to read enough to do that, when I wanted to connect to the internet from a remote computer, I would simply bring up Internet Explorer... wait about a minute for the modem to go thru its connect... and I was off and running. I never did manage to get the Internet Connection Sharing part to disconnect when that remote computer was finished using the internet though... and had to go to the other room and do that manually.Best of luck! It a test of your patients, but being in your circumstances in my past... it was worth the hassles to figure it out and get my network able to access the internet from that single modem.

While using Internet connection sharing is a great idea, I'd advise against it unless you have a dedicated box. Routers to exist with a serial port for an external modem. One that I used to have is the Siemens SS2614 (I believe that is the model), try eBaying for one since I doubt they're made anymore. I don't think any are built-in wireless, so the basic procedure is going to be:Connect external serial modem to router with serial port for modemConnect router LAN port to wireless router WAN port (yes, you're double-NATing. If that bugs you turn off NAT and use the wireless router in AP mode)Configure the router with the modem for your dial-up account settings and set the wireless router to DHCP. My Siemens (which I admittedly never used with a modem) had the ability to dial on-demand and hang up after a few minutes of inactivity, so you won't need a dedicated phone line and the process will be seamless to each user other than a long delay when starting their browsing session.

I've thought of this idea but it was when I had broadband connection. I thought of it as a stupid funny idea but I never knew that someone would actually do this in real life in a serious way too and not just for the fun of it. I'm sorry to say that this is a stupid idea and if it is done and you share it with other computers then the connection would be twice as slow maybe even slower. OK this post made me think of another stupid funny idea concerning this, why not establish an Internet Cafe where all the computers are connected to a dial up modem and charge them the same amount as other broadband cafe's. Posting that idea just made me realize that workplaces and cafe's did use to have shared dial up connections did they? I thought it wasn't done yet.

Can this be done? Simple Answer: No.Complex Answer: Yes, with much pounding of forehead against wall...That being said, the first generation of Apple Airport base stations (Apple's fancy term for a wireless router station)did in fact have a built in modem so you could share a dial up account. It would be extremely slow with any more than 1 connection, but if you were looking for the mobilty aspect, (being able to sit on the couch and surf while watching TV) it would work.No the wireless is only 11b, but will handle dial up. I'd search ebay to see if you could find a 1st generation Airport base station for cheap.

Not really, I remembered that you can share a dialup via LAN. I remembered when I was small, my teacher, at a computer learning centre used to use Dialup and had 4 computers connected via a router to the dialup internet connected to one of the computers. However, that's over a WIRED network. I think with some configuration, like on the computer connected with a dialup modem and the LAN, it should work.However, due to the fact that dialup technology is obsolete and barely anyone I know uses it, I dun have any answer to this and that it is nearly impossible to find any Internet sources to show you how to do it.xboxrulz

Edited by xboxrulz (see edit history)

Dialup to wireless e-mail connection

Dialup On Wireless Network

Have been using Outlook/Verizon with dial-up connection. Now I went to wireless. Everything works fine; can receive and send e-mail via Netmail Central, however I can only RECEIVE messages via Outlook but not SEND.

It took me long to learn to use Outlook so I want to stick with it.

-Henry